The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
burn 3K$ on API Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

burn 3K$ on API

Got the Waves V7 API Collection, a pair of Distressors, a SPL Tube Mastering Vitalizer, an ART Pro VLA2 and SSL Duende.
I also have Slate FG-X and VCC

I really like what the Waves 2500 does on the mixbus, especially in mixes where the distressors are sitting on the drumbus

I am looking for what the Waves 2500 gives me, but then with more balls, less boxy sound. should i take an 2500 or a lunchbox with 2 5xx EQ's and 2 comps?, do the lunchbox modules give the same sound as the 2500 unit? so basically mixbuss colouring... thoughts welcome!
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hy Raphie.

If you like the 2500 plug you should definitively go for the 2500 ( the real one ) sounds even a big step better IMO. I have the 2500 since years and you can really use it most of things. I haven`t heard a 527 or 525 but i think they arent the same thing.

The 525:
It`s a FET not a VCA like the 2500, so other sound. The Attack there is fast as hell!

The 527:
Has lot`s of features the 2500 has got but is more inspired by the 225L. And most important to me: Lacks of fast attack. Fastest attack is 1.0ms thats the 12`o clock setting on a 2500, but there you can go all the way down till 0.03ms! Which is really fast. you can flat out all transients. You can`t do that with a 527.

So really need the 2500 if you like that sound. The others are other heh
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by betscho View Post
And most important to me: Lacks of fast attack. Fastest attack is 1.0ms thats the 12`o clock setting on a 2500, but there you can go all the way down till 0.03ms! Which is really fast. you can flat out all transients. You can`t do that with a 527.
The 2500 "says" it can do 0.03ms and flatten the transients but in real life it couldn't be further from the truth... waaaaayyyy toooo slowwwwwww...
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
The 2500 "says" it can do 0.03ms and flatten the transients but in real life it couldn't be further from the truth... waaaaayyyy toooo slowwwwwww...

Agreed, that's the main reason I never took to it on drums, too much of a 'pop' on the leading edge. Great for the modern thwack in parallel, but I'm old school, I like 'em fast, like 1176 or vari-mu kinda fast.

But that same attack character is awesome on acoustic guitars, vocals, mixes, and just about everything else. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

hmm thats funny...
i thought the 2500 is pretty fast cause to my ears and eyes ( wen i look at the file on cubase wich is gone trough the 2500 in its fastest setting ) i felt that way.

I have an had a Dynax2, Sta Level, Tla C1, some purple actions and of course the 2500. Out of these, he`s the only one how can clamp the transients away...

But probably the 525 is best in this task.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Agreed, that's the main reason I never took to it on drums, too much of a 'pop' on the leading edge. Great for the modern thwack in parallel, but I'm old school, I like 'em fast, like 1176 or vari-mu kinda fast.
My thoughts exactly. Not suitable for drum buss with the way I work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betscho View Post
I have an had a Dynax2, Sta Level, Tla C1, some purple actions and of course the 2500. Out of these, he`s the only one how can clamp the transients away...
You're right - because all of the others you mentioned are extremely slow (especially the Dynax2). Relatively the 2500 is faster, but in an absolute scenario not fast enough.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Ok then, which ones are fast compressors beside of 1176, dbx 160sl, api 525?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Thermionic Phoenix

Langevin El-Op

Valley People Dyna-Mite

and the undisputed king of fast: Elysia mpressor

Also, almost every non-hardware-modeling plugin.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
and the undisputed king of fast: Elysia mpressor
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

ThnX guys,

So i ordered the 2500 heh

since i've also got SSL XCOMP , i could use both in a chain in order to "shave peaks" and "add character" right?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search