The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The right traps
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The right traps

I'm asking this in high end because the traps I'm looking at I believe to be high quality.

I work in the far end of the living room of my apartment. My speakers are 5 feet apart. The back wall behind me is 10 feet away. I am at one end of the living room. The living room is 26 feet by 10 feet, so you can figure out by those dimensions that I am not using the long end of my room. Essentially it looks like I am standing in the endzone of a football field with the rest of the endzone behind me and the field itself to my left.

Long story short, should I go with one of these, or something different?

I'm willing to spend up to 500 bucks on treating my room if it will help my dance music production.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited by BouncyJones; 18th December 2010 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say thanks in advance
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

The first thing you should do is change the room orientation as per these instructions:

How to set up a room

The key is having the wall behind you as far as away as possible, and also have left-right symmetry. If you can post a photo or layout of your room I can be more specific.

Then get as many bass traps as you can manage, plus absorbers at the reflection points:

Acoustic Basics

That will make a huge improvement in the quality of your work.

--Ethan

Lives for gear

With that kind of budget it would be worth considering DIY - if you can handle a drill, screwdriver and staple gun, then your $500 would get you a lot more absorption in the room.

Loads of threads on how to do this (and where to place it in your studio) on the acoustics & studio build forums of Gearslutz / SOS / John Sayers, etc. forums. I did something similar a few years ago, and have still got the corner absorbers in my current room - you can see them here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6066159-post423.html

You could build those 12 red traps with mdf and very dense mineral wool / fibreglass for less than $500.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search