The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afsouth View Post
I love the tube units for this task.
Which tube units?
FYI. 33609 & 2500s are non-tube.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

after 6 months with it...the adr complex on parallel drum buss... jeezuz...

Last edited by jono; 21st January 2013 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: i'm a poor speller, poor typist. did generally poorly in school
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

After few months with vocal stresser, just one... I need 2nd one...
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

ADR - Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
after 6 months with it...the adr complex on parallel drum buss... jeezuz...
Wish we had a second one...we used ours exclusively for Drum O/H's on a recent record.

We posted a sample song in THIS Gearslutz thread.
Attached Thumbnails
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions-adr-ssl-compressors.jpg  
Old 21st January 2013
For me there is only one compressor that does the job like no other compressor for drum bus. The ADR with helios cards. It is the predecessor before ADR "compex" came. Was incredibly pleased with the ADR Compex, but sold after I got over ADR with helios cards.

Do you have time to look around a bit, so chase the beast to the drum bus.

KR
H.Hansson
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 View Post
Which tube units?
FYI. 33609 & 2500s are non-tube.
Sure, I know.
I was referring to the samples in the first page, the VariMu tube units.
Superb warm and fat tone.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
Wish we had a second one...we used ours exclusively for Drum O/H's on a recent record.

We posted a sample song in THIS Gearslutz thread.
yeah - i wish i had a second one also...
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear
I don't want to be a party breaker, but I almost always prefer no buss compression on the drums.
Parallel compression can sound nice, though.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post
Silverface Valley People 610.

So completely underrated... The little stereo dynamite (which I've owned) sells for twice as much when the 610 can do those sounds and way more.

It beats out my API 2500 for some mixes which a lot of folks consider the bees knees of stereo drum comps.
Which is the difference between the silverface and blackface one, except for the fact that the silverface looks better?
Old 28th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Nobody posted Dual Vandergraph or TC Phoenix here? Bummer. If anyone has it in them, would be super cool to resurrect this thread with a few new clips.
Old 28th February 2016
Haven't found anything to beat out the Zener in parallel yet (to be fair I haven't actually tried the lesson grove in that application)
Old 29th February 2016
AB3
Lives for gear

While I unfortunately need to sell my Buzz DBC-20 diode compressor because I just needed an opto on vocals, the Buzz really excels on the drum buss. I highly recommend it there. And the price is so low for two channels, it is an amazing value on the drum buss. It adds mojo to vocals, but I really did not need any more of that for my needs. These diode bridge compressors are great for drums, percussion and the like.
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Zener use preferences vs 54F50 if you don't mind, Trev? Thanks so much.
Old 29th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
Zener use preferences vs 54F50 if you don't mind, Trev? Thanks so much.
Completely different animals. I love the THD the Zener gives so I tend to use it where I really want to colour things up and hit it hard. It pretty much lives on parallel drum bus here (though I use it on smash mics when tracking drums). The 54f50 is on the other hand gets used wherever I want a hifi vibe but want to add a robust quality to the sound and/or some top end sparkle. It's fabulous , for example, on acoustic guitars, bass and vocals in particular. Does this help?
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Maniac

FWIW, I had a matched pair of 54F50's and currently have a Zener... it's always personal preference with this stuff, but for me:

--Zener used aggressively in Limit mode on parallel drum buss if you want snappy impact and density

--AML used gently at a low ratio (I often used a 400ms release) across the drum group for a bit of gentle "motion", thickness and vibe.

--Mix-buss-wise I found the AML more useful, similar settings as above, if you're looking for that sort of treatment... it ain't transparent and will only work "when it works", but seemed more useful as a buss comp than the Zener did overall. I found the Zener to be a bit too compact and aggressive more times than not. However...

--...occasionally the Zener is perfect for a rock mix. I never seem to predict exactly when this will be the case, so i'll just give it a try every now and again. Rare occasion when it does work -- BOOM!

--Zener on vox in limit mode if you need real control over dynamics and want to sit it right up front. Think typical ham-fisted (throated) rock singer, indie stuff, etc...

--Zener in limit mode for awesome Drum room CRUSH!!!

--AML on acoustic. Always. Beautiful with just a little bit of sparkle, my personal favorite for acoustic guitars.

--Zener in Comp1 or Comp2 mode can work on acoustic if you're looking for a more compact, forward sound. Completely random association but I just heard a few tracks from Nirvana's "In Utero"... Zener would've been suited to the acoustics on that album for whatever that's worth.

--Zener in THD mode is nice for adding some grit to snare, vox and electric guitars. Probably electric keys too, but never tried.
Old 1st March 2016
Gear Nut

A hard task, since it should reduce the dynamic range of the buss, and should all result in a louder more defined mix, but the whole process should occur transparently and be pleasing to the ear.
Low ratios and high attack/release settings are also desirable as they tend to reduce any noticeable artifacts and drastic gain changes.
The tube units shined, esp. in parallel processing.

My picks:
QES Labs Variable Gm, 1st page
Manley VariMu, 1st page
Dbx 160sl, 2nd page
Old 1st March 2016
Gear Head

Perhaps overkill but we run several in parallel on groups, drums almost always, and often guitars, or individual insert on vocal or room mics, all at once. Can't seem to get enough sometimes..
Attached Thumbnails
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions-adr.jpg  
Old 1st March 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Completely different animals. I love the THD the Zener gives so I tend to use it where I really want to colour things up and hit it hard. It pretty much lives on parallel drum bus here (though I use it on smash mics when tracking drums). The 54f50 is on the other hand gets used wherever I want a hifi vibe but want to add a robust quality to the sound and/or some top end sparkle. It's fabulous , for example, on acoustic guitars, bass and vocals in particular. Does this help?
Yes, super helpful, thank you!
Old 1st March 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFoster View Post
FWIW, I had a matched pair of 54F50's and currently have a Zener... it's always personal preference with this stuff, but for me:

--Zener used aggressively in Limit mode on parallel drum buss if you want snappy impact and density

--AML used gently at a low ratio (I often used a 400ms release) across the drum group for a bit of gentle "motion", thickness and vibe.

--Mix-buss-wise I found the AML more useful, similar settings as above, if you're looking for that sort of treatment... it ain't transparent and will only work "when it works", but seemed more useful as a buss comp than the Zener did overall. I found the Zener to be a bit too compact and aggressive more times than not. However...

--...occasionally the Zener is perfect for a rock mix. I never seem to predict exactly when this will be the case, so i'll just give it a try every now and again. Rare occasion when it does work -- BOOM!

--Zener on vox in limit mode if you need real control over dynamics and want to sit it right up front. Think typical ham-fisted (throated) rock singer, indie stuff, etc...

--Zener in limit mode for awesome Drum room CRUSH!!!

--AML on acoustic. Always. Beautiful with just a little bit of sparkle, my personal favorite for acoustic guitars.

--Zener in Comp1 or Comp2 mode can work on acoustic if you're looking for a more compact, forward sound. Completely random association but I just heard a few tracks from Nirvana's "In Utero"... Zener would've been suited to the acoustics on that album for whatever that's worth.

--Zener in THD mode is nice for adding some grit to snare, vox and electric guitars. Probably electric keys too, but never tried.
Also super helpful. Thank you too!
Old 10th June 2016
Urei 1178, my go-to for drum bus, vary the dynamic w/ the attack knob and release knob, easy to readjust as the mix evolves, sooo easy
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

Definitely the complex, although on a bit more of a budget, the Valley Dynamite is a monster in a small box. Also, Daking FETII if you want massive without the pumping.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search