The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
i assume these are expensive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
Not that much, considering it's a full tube 48lbs beast.

Somehow, 'not that much, considering' sounds like 'yes'.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear
I like an SSL for this purpose.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

SSL here aswell, sick on most mixes, tried so many compressors out there but still going back to SSL, I´ll never change, Im too old
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixingdude View Post
Nice thread. Very useful. In case anyone wants to hear, here's my Brent Averill packaged stereo Neve 2254. It's comp (no limit) set to 3:1, 100 ms release. Seeing about 2 or 3 db of visible gain reduction on the meters, which means probably 6 or 8 in reality.
Nice. Are these units re-calibrated?
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malini View Post
No Anamod 670 or Gyraf X users here...?!
That would be interesting to compare. Anyone care to chime in?
Old 26th March 2012
thermionic Phoenix here, very happy with this unit!
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

There are a few different types of compressors that are commonly used as bus compressors like single and multi-band models. I think a true bus compressor is really a single band compressor which has high quality with custom components. Thanks!
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Which multiband are you referring to?
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislee43636 View Post
Your drum clip sounds nice. API 2500 or API 527 pair. I have both and they are very nice on drums.
Where have I seen this quote before?

O wait! On the first page of this thread Huh?
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 View Post
... but it has a mix knob right on there so you can dial back in as much dynamic and clarity as your heart desires. I think all comps should have a mix.
+1
i had to get TK Blender for the C2 just for that ... ...
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Al.SO Dynax 2 amazing compressor for Drum Bus.
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

Silverface Valley People 610.

So completely underrated... The little stereo dynamite (which I've owned) sells for twice as much when the 610 can do those sounds and way more.

It beats out my API 2500 for some mixes which a lot of folks consider the bees knees of stereo drum comps.
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Thought I add some clips too.

Drums recording in a smallish room, slopply playing from myself, but enough to get a usable clip. I mixed it quickly and then ran it through the following compressors:
- UBK FATSO (all 4 presets: splat, smooth, glue and spank)
- Distressors (ration 4:1, attack 4.5, release 1.5, hi-pass in detector on, dist on 2)
- Drawmer 1968ME (attach 4, release 1).

The clips are definitely not level matched, I put quite a bit of compression on the drums to have each compressor make its point. No other compression than on the stereo drumbus.

Greetings,
Dirk
Cymbals sound great! Just curious, what did you use while recording them? I have trouble with cymbals in drum bus comps. This UBK clip was what I'm looking for. Thanks!!!
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamPura View Post
Cymbals sound great! Just curious, what did you use while recording them? I have trouble with cymbals in drum bus comps. This UBK clip was what I'm looking for. Thanks!!!
Well, half of it is at least the cymbals used: Paiste Signature series.
I used Josephson C42's going through a chandler TG2 for the overheads.

But the equipment really does not make a lot of difference. If I had used just my 02R96 preamps and did all the processing ITB, it would have sound similar.

Regards,
Dirk
Old 23rd July 2012
Dramatic Audio Obsidian
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Well, half of it is at least the cymbals used: Paiste Signature series.
I used Josephson C42's going through a chandler TG2 for the overheads.

But the equipment really does not make a lot of difference. If I had used just my 02R96 preamps and did all the processing ITB, it would have sound similar.

Regards,
Dirk
Thanks so much. I had been eyeing those mics!!! Big Paiste fan as well. Might have to do something about this...

Thanks again!
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Just had to come back here to praise one of my "new found" drumbuss favourites...a simple, cheap, old JoeMeek SC2 (not even the snobby original 1.05 version but the later 1.07) in slope 1 setting, medium (around 11 o clock) attack and release settings and the VU meter showing 3-5 dB of gain reduction. Absolutely awesome. It adds all the life and excitement while not making kick and snare weaker/thinner, adding a big round spank to them. Taking it off makes you go "how boring!". It sounded especially good on a drummix today after a stage of saturation - I remember the SC2 being prone to overreacting, so by saturating excessive peaks away before it does it´s magic is helpful to drive the SC2 good and with constant gain reduction. Funny how my cheapest compressors (JoeMeek SC2 and Radioman F600 clone) take the cake when it comes to drum processing...
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Nut
Hi,

Sorry for this intervention in this thread, but i would like an advice view if it's possible :

I want to buy a compressor for my bus group (drums, synth, voice, etc...).

My way of working is like that :

I work with a sequencer, some old gears (samplers, synths,etc) all in an ORAM 8T, then before tracking in a mytek convertissor, i uses some analogs effects (analog filters, eq, bit crushers, etc..)

Then i do my mix ITB (just vol and pan) and go out though another Mytek for mixing by group.

For this, i have a Culture Vulture (nice coloration, smooth to extremely destructive depending of my need) and i want to attack a compressor before the convertissor.

So i have the possibility to take an Mpressor in second hand or an Api 2500.

I produce electro and dubstep.

Can you help me to choose a creative compressor cause i like toys a bit different than the usual.
Best regards.
Alex.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=djalks;8248694I produce electro and dubstep[QUOTE]

mpressor, no contest. api is wayyy too smooth and slow to blow things up the way those genres demand.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 25th October 2012
Here for the gear

Just discovered that mpressor thanx to this thread. Really versatile tool for drum shaping.
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Dramatic Audio Obsidian
+1! if you're looking for that SSL smack/flavour, this is it.

You might want to check out the Tonelux compressor as well, quite versatile.. (I have the 500 series one tx5c).

Or maybe you might like something different like the new BAE10DC.. (I just got a pair... Simply fantastic !! heh )

Cheu
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=u b k;8281492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalks;8248694I produce electro and dubstep[QUOTE

mpressor, no contest. api is wayyy too smooth and slow to blow things up the way those genres demand.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Yup Mpressor all the way for any electronic stuff, nothing comes close on the drums I think, expect the Distressors.
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

I just got my Alpha comp.

Holy crap.

Seriously.

Quite unbelievable on the bus, L/R or anything else for that matter.
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

One comp so far that I'm really digging is the SB4001, which is great, because I've been considering it!

Some of the Little Devil and 527 clips were close too, for me. The Manley VariMu was nice also.

Here are some plugs, for comparison: The Glue, Logic's Comp, and PSP Mixpressor. I also included an all out smash, using The Rocket from Stillwell. I prefer it to the 1176 all in clip posted earlier. The attack goes down to MICROseconds, so you can shave off any of that annoying, pokey attack, plus it has a sidechain filter to avoid pumping. Really cool plugin.
Attached Files

acoustic_drums100 - glue.wav (2.42 MB, 787 views)

acoustic_drums100 - logic.wav (2.42 MB, 761 views)

acoustic_drums100 - mixpressor.wav (2.42 MB, 770 views)

acoustic_drums100 - rocket.wav (2.42 MB, 847 views)

Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Also, not even almost seeing the value in the Obsidian. For almost 1/3 the price you can get the SB4001, which based on the clips here anyway, sounded dramatically better.
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone heard the UTA UnFairchild yet??
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
Also, not even almost seeing the value in the Obsidian. For almost 1/3 the price you can get the SB4001, which based on the clips here anyway, sounded dramatically better.
I own my Obsidian over two years. If I had to sell everything, that would be the very last thing to go. My personal opinion is, that thing is magic.

Regards,
Frank
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

To each their own! You have to use what works for you.

Just based on the clips in this thread, I found the SB4001 to have more punch and impact, without farting out on the kick or splitting out on the snare.
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Addict

33609 great, 2500 also great. C2 great for ultra squashed effect or parallel processing.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosi View Post
33609 great, 2500 also great.
I love the tube units for this task.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search