The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Addict

It's obscure as f**k and not high end $ anymore but the Digitech VCS-1 has been my biggest surprise as my drum buss. I bought one on Ebay on a whim after reading what little info is out there on them and was blown away. I immediatly sold my Drawmer 1968. It may be ugly to look at and says "Digitech" (even though it was made in Canada by another company) on it, my ears were the judge. I even bought another one for back up.

As a side note, the desser on it worked like gangbusters on tamming a heavy cymbal basher on a track.
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Head

Some samples of my SB4001 compressor. Didn't spend too much time, just dialed in some settings that sounded nice and hit record. Hitting it pretty good (4-6db typically except for the smashed which is about 12db) so you can hear it at work. Endless combinations I coulda tried so only skimed the surface, so if anyone wants to hear it with some other specific settings or a little more on the subtle/transparent side let me know and I'll run it through again.

Hammered - 8:1, 15 Attack, 900mS Release, 60hpf, (Grind On)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB40...28Grind%29.wav

Punchy - 8:1, 30 Attack, 300 Release, 120hpf, (Grind On)

Classic - 4:1, 20mS Attack, 300ms Release, No hpf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB40...%20Classic.wav

Bite - 8:1, 20 Attack, AutoRelease, 60hpf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB40...20-%20Bite.wav

Bite - 8:1, 20 Attack, AutoRelease, 60hpf (Grind On)

Blendered - Hammered Settings with some Dry Blended in

Smashed - 10:1, 10 Attack, 700mS Release, 90hpf, (Grind On)

Clean - 4:1, 10mS Attack, Auto Release, No Hpf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB40...0-%20Clean.wav
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

Peak limiting or light compression on the bus, I like Neve 2262's or Pye limiters.
For spankling a parallel, you can't get much better than a pair of Valley Dynamite's.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

I like the samples, very spanky. There's a cool kind of doppler effect on the end of the toms when using the auto-release (at least those are the samples where I hear it).
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Head

I'm very happy with TK Audio BC-1
Old 11th August 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abechap024 View Post
Hey All!
So I ran some tracks through the Pye last night and then afterwords came back to load them up, and then realized that everyone else was using the same sample to compare. (great drum sounds btw!)

Oh well I am going to run that same sample through them but I am going away for 4th of July weekend and won't be back till Mon.

So these should give you all an idea.

Also this is a Custom unit based exclusively on the PYE schematics. The only thing that is different is the input/output iron.

Enjoy!

In the samples "L" stands for limiting, the number after "R" is the ratio, and release is in mS. Also the "gentle" one is were I was only doing maybe 10gr max...haha! Maybe in retrospect these samples were a little heavy handed
When are you going to start shipping these PYE reissues?
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Started an initial run of 4 stereo units. They are all called for, so I'm starting on some more, you can pre-order, I have plenty of circuit boards...

The main thing I'm waiting on to get these units I've started out the door are the cases.The front panels are going to look great, my front panel guy showed me the finalized designs beginning of this week and they look sweet. We decided to go with Cream and Red Wine. They should be here soon.

So If you want one, place an order. There is a 2 week return time, test it out, no pressure. Also they are under basically a lifetime warranty. If they ever break and its my fault I'lll fix it.

Anyway thanks for the interest. I'm hoping to get some demonstration videos and sound files up soon, but between soldering and wiring, it keeps me pretty busy

Thanks!
Old 11th August 2011
Gear Guru

I got away from using the 2500, just to much color for me, although it is a great drum buss, otherwise I am keeping the C2 on the main 2 buss, crush sometimes.
Old 11th August 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abechap024 View Post
Started an initial run of 4 stereo units. They are all called for, so I'm starting on some more, you can pre-order, I have plenty of circuit boards...

The main thing I'm waiting on to get these units I've started out the door are the cases.The front panels are going to look great, my front panel guy showed me the finalized designs beginning of this week and they look sweet. We decided to go with Cream and Red Wine. They should be here soon.

So If you want one, place an order. There is a 2 week return time, test it out, no pressure. Also they are under basically a lifetime warranty. If they ever break and its my fault I'lll fix it.

Anyway thanks for the interest. I'm hoping to get some demonstration videos and sound files up soon, but between soldering and wiring, it keeps me pretty busy

Thanks!
Sweet! Feel free to shoot me a PM when you get the clips and videos up. I'm greatly looking forward to hearing this comp.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Bump

Just had a while, so I've run this sample through Neumann W495b EQs just for fun. And 2dB steps aren't fun if you can do only subtle things...

+4dB @14khz
+2dB @500Hz Q-widest
+2dB @40Hz

and it is a less of the problem if you're not so sensible

+9dB @7khz
+8dB @500Hz Q-widest
+9dB @40Hz

So keep the compressors comming, there is still some ground to be covered...
Attached Files

Neumann_w495b_14khz+4dB_500hz+2dB_40hz+2dB.wav (3.63 MB, 1181 views)

Neumann_w495b_7khz+9dB_500hz+8dB_40hz+9dB.wav (3.63 MB, 1190 views)

Old 1st October 2011
Here for the gear

I'd really like to hear this clip through SSL G-series and 33609
Old 1st October 2011
hey abechap024,
any plans to make an ADR compex?
that would be the bomb!
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Head

No Anamod 670 or Gyraf X users here...?!
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malini View Post
Gyraf X users here...?!
Former...I simply found it boring. Sold it with a great loss and bought an API2500 in stead. Instant love.
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
Not to act as a limiter, but something to give it a tad of growl without losing clarity.
Chandler Little Devil. Love my 527 on drums too, but to me "growl" doesn't come to mind. The little Devil. Yup. To get the real grit I hit it pretty hard (getting into limiter territory) but it has a mix knob right on there so you can dial back in as much dynamic and clarity as your heart desires. I think all comps should have a mix.

If I get a chance later I'll do up a file for you.
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

I suppose take these samples with a grain of salt as they are not linked. Imaging is suffering as a result. Reason being, I only have one of each so I processed the L & R one at a time. I'm trying to decide which to double up first.

Legend:
Chandler Little Devil
- Grm/Znr - Curve Type (it's like two different comps)
- Rt means Ratio - Hi/Med/Low
- Rl means Release - Fast/Med
- SC is for Side Chain I only used Out/30/60 for these
For these I didn't use the mix knob at all so you can hear what the comp is doing.

API 527
- New = Feed Forward
- Old = Feed Back
- Hard & Soft is the knee
I had the thrust in at all times, without it at these settings the kick would basically dissapear.
Attached Files

527 New Hard.wav (2.42 MB, 1160 views)

527 New Soft.wav (2.42 MB, 1085 views)

527 Old Hard.wav (2.42 MB, 1120 views)

527 Old Soft.wav (2.42 MB, 1096 views)

Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

For some reason it wasn't letting me attach the LD files too. Hmm at least I got the Germ Curve files it's my fave on drums.
Attached Files

LD Grm RtHi Rl Fast SC Out .wav (2.42 MB, 1078 views)

LD Grm RtHi Rl Fast SC30Hz.wav (2.42 MB, 1043 views)

LD Grm RtHi Rl Med SC Out .wav (2.42 MB, 1103 views)

Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

The reason I gave the different ratio examples on the Zener curve is that they change the time constants in this setting.

Cheers.
Attached Files

LD Znr RtHi Rl Fst SC Out .wav (2.42 MB, 1066 views)

LD Znr RtHi Rl Med SC60.wav (2.42 MB, 1005 views)

LD Znr RtLow Rl Med SC60.wav (2.42 MB, 992 views)

LD Znr RtMed Rl Med SC60.wav (2.42 MB, 1054 views)

Old 6th October 2011
Gear Addict

Dramwer 1968.

Attack:4 Release:1 Big Switch: on

acoustic_drums_Drawm68_att4_rel_1.aif
Old 6th October 2011
Old 6th October 2011
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Actually I'm using C2 or Valley Dynamite in parallel and Distressor as main comp and I like them...The Phoenix Thiermionic is also great on drumbus!!
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by progfan49 View Post
No suggestions for a pair of 1176s? I'm confused.
I don't like 1176s on the drum buss. No HPF or wet/dry. For the 1176ish thing, I loved the pair of Lindell Audio 17x I was playing with a few months back, but had to give them back!
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Nut

Long thread, so many options!
The tube comps are my favorite now, especially the Variable Gm samples on page 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malini View Post
No Anamod 670 or Gyraf X users here...?!
Would like to hear those too.
Old 24th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 View Post
Chandler Little Devil. I think all comps should have a mix.

If I get a chance later I'll do up a file for you.
Please do that.
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 View Post
I think all comps should have a mix.
I agree its 2011. This is a new must have feature.
Old 25th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
This is my favourite tube compressor, QES Labs
i assume these are expensive?
Old 29th November 2011
Here for the gear

Nice thread. Very useful. In case anyone wants to hear, here's my Brent Averill packaged stereo Neve 2254. It's comp (no limit) set to 3:1, 100 ms release. Seeing about 2 or 3 db of visible gain reduction on the meters, which means probably 6 or 8 in reality.
Attached Files
File Type: aif 2254 3 to 1 100ms rel.aif (3.63 MB, 317 views)
Old 30th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
i assume these are expensive?
Not that much, considering it's a full tube 48lbs beast.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search