The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Not an obvious choice, but just for fun, I bring you: Neumann U473A

smallprint: unlinked pair, lucid 88192 converter
Attached Files

Neumann_U473A_2to1_att-fast_rel-fast_gr-5db.wav (3.63 MB, 1507 views)

Neumann_U473A_3to1_att-slow_rel-fast_gr-2db.wav (3.63 MB, 1478 views)

Neumann_U473A_limitersmash.wav (3.63 MB, 1571 views)

Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
I know its probably the minority opinion around here but i just use what ever is left over or what's not being used in the mix. Like if the SSL Quad comp is being used, i'll use a Neve comp. If the SSL and Neve are being used, i'll use a Focusrite. If all 3 are being used i'll use some Distressors. I all of them are being used else where in the mix than i'll just use the dynamics on the SSL channels. Heck if everything and the kitchen sink are being used i'll go in the other studio and grab a pair of 163X's and call it a day. The point is that the compressor for this purpose is not as big of a deal as its made out to be. Anything can and will work fine for this. In parallel even less of a deal.

Definitely not $4K's worth of trouble.
Very Interesting. Old post but still relevant. I would have to agree with Thrill. I know guys who are using plug in compressors on the 2 bus and their mixes sound amazing.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

did this quick for fun...sounds great...it's a "Man-Lee", a chinese knock-off unit...
fast attack, medium release, 4:1 ratio, about 20db gr...
Attached Files

smooshysmoosh.wav (3.66 MB, 1127 views)

Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

PYE Compressor. Nothing sounds like it. Awesome on Drum Buss.

If you want I can post some samples
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Please do, I'm quite curious. It is nice to hear how different boxes handle both subtle and extreme. And what's special about them.
Old 30th June 2011
would love to hear the pye!
Old 1st July 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
would love to hear the pye!
Ditto!
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Hey All!
So I ran some tracks through the Pye last night and then afterwords came back to load them up, and then realized that everyone else was using the same sample to compare. (great drum sounds btw!)

Oh well I am going to run that same sample through them but I am going away for 4th of July weekend and won't be back till Mon.

So these should give you all an idea.

Also this is a Custom unit based exclusively on the PYE schematics. The only thing that is different is the input/output iron.

Enjoy!

In the samples "L" stands for limiting, the number after "R" is the ratio, and release is in mS. Also the "gentle" one is were I was only doing maybe 10gr max...haha! Maybe in retrospect these samples were a little heavy handed
Attached Files

DRUMS_RAW.wav (3.02 MB, 1289 views)

R_4_RELEASE_100_GENTLE.wav (3.09 MB, 1232 views)

R_2_RELEASE_100.wav (3.07 MB, 1165 views)

L_RELEASE_100.wav (3.05 MB, 1120 views)

L_RELEASE_3200.wav (3.05 MB, 1089 views)

R_2_RELEASE_800.wav (3.24 MB, 1083 views)

Old 1st July 2011
wow, this sounds awesome.
heavy handed is the way to go!
i really like how it makes the snare sound.
thanks for posting!
jeremy
Old 3rd July 2011
Gear Guru

Sweet Pye! Super smooth on the hats, that's the kind of thing the plugs haven't begun to touch yet.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, the pye sounds killer. I would love to hear the loop everyone else has been processing as well for a more apples to apples. But it does sound like the Pye is bringing something new to the table... or should I say old.

BTW, I do have one of Abe's CLX comps as well. That thing sounds cool also (gooey). I have a feeling a piece of pye is next on the plate. But I sure would love to hear the other loop through it!
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Cranesong STC-8 for busses.
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

The STC-8 is amazing! I cried when I saw how much they are. They do sound great on basically everything.

I believe it and the PYE are the only 2 PWM type compressors I know of out there. I know Great River has one in development as well. The PWM type of compression sure is very sweet sounding.
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

There are more of them.... CS Trakker, EMT156...
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Thought I add some clips too.

Drums recording in a smallish room, slopply playing from myself, but enough to get a usable clip. I mixed it quickly and then ran it through the following compressors:
- UBK FATSO (all 4 presets: splat, smooth, glue and spank)
- Distressors (ration 4:1, attack 4.5, release 1.5, hi-pass in detector on, dist on 2)
- Drawmer 1968ME (attach 4, release 1).

The clips are definitely not level matched, I put quite a bit of compression on the drums to have each compressor make its point. No other compression than on the stereo drumbus.

Greetings,
Dirk
Attached Files

drums dry.mp3 (2.34 MB, 1708 views)

drums Distressors.mp3 (2.33 MB, 1714 views)

drums drawmer.mp3 (2.30 MB, 1661 views)

drums UBK glue.mp3 (2.31 MB, 1624 views)

drums UBK smooth.mp3 (2.30 MB, 1502 views)

drums UBK spank.mp3 (2.32 MB, 1565 views)

drums UBK splat.mp3 (2.31 MB, 1499 views)

Old 3rd July 2011
My best friend 4 drum bus is this animal: ADR Compex F760X-RS
Attached Thumbnails
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions-adr-compex-f760x-rs.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I would love to hear the loop everyone else has been processing as well for a more apples to apples!
Right, the loop is on page 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Greetings,
Dirk
Plz read above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
What do you want? Invisible glue? Trash canned room sound? Glowing coals?
Maybe he answered on page 1.
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Drums recording in a smallish room, slopply playing from myself, but enough to get a usable clip. I mixed it quickly and then ran it through the following compressors:
- Distressors (ration 4:1, attack 4.5, release 1.5, hi-pass in detector on, dist on 2)

The clips are definitely not level matched, I put quite a bit of compression on the drums to have each compressor make its point. No other compression than on the stereo drumbus.

Greetings,
Dirk
I'm kinda surprised but I'm digging the distressors. I'm still not sure why I sold mine and I don't recall using it much on drum bus.
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

The Fearn comp is PWM. The early '60's Grass Valley comp is PWM.
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abechap024 View Post
Hey All!
So I ran some tracks through the Pye last night and then afterwords came back to load them up, and then realized that everyone else was using the same sample to compare. (great drum sounds btw!)

Oh well I am going to run that same sample through them but I am going away for 4th of July weekend and won't be back till Mon.

So these should give you all an idea.

Also this is a Custom unit based exclusively on the PYE schematics. The only thing that is different is the input/output iron.

Enjoy!

In the samples "L" stands for limiting, the number after "R" is the ratio, and release is in mS. Also the "gentle" one is were I was only doing maybe 10gr max...haha! Maybe in retrospect these samples were a little heavy handed
That unit sounds fantastic! Am I right in thinking it is something you have built yourself based on the original? If so, I'm very interested in getting one myself...

Cheers

Al
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hello,
Hope everyone is having a great 4th or July. I ran "the" Sample through the CLX-VU incase anyone wants to hear. Its based exclusively on the DBX 160VU compressor.

I'll have samples with the PYE next.

Happy 4th!!

@Worlez: Thanks I'm glad you like the PYE! Its super warm and punchy. To me its a flavor that I found lacking in my palette of compressors. Especially recording in digital. It really warms things up in a way that makes them sit really well in a mix. PS you should hear it on Acoustic guitar!! Also I'm just a guy that likes to record music and build equipment, If you want a PYE shoot me an email, I am in the process of building a handful of them and would enjoy having some money to make some other projects available
Attached Files

CLX_RATIO_4_5dB.wav (3.64 MB, 1104 views)

CLX_LIMIT_20dB.wav (3.64 MB, 1049 views)

Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hello All,
Ran some quick runs through the PYE with "the" sample. Limiting mode Set to squash! These samples are in mono as I'm waiting for another set of transformers for my second prototype channel. This prototype is without a case yet, naked on my control desk!
100ms release and 400ms release.
Enjoy!

Edit: these samples have some HF hash that is normally not in the unit. This particular piece of gear is rather finicky without a case! I will be reposing these, bad form I know, but at least they will give you an idea. My apologies!
Attached Files

PYE_LIMIT_100ms.wav (1.83 MB, 1194 views)

PYE_LIMIT_400ms.wav (1.82 MB, 1106 views)

Old 5th July 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello All,
This prototype is without a case yet, naked on my control desk!
Are you going to reissue the pye comp?
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Greetings,
Dirk
I really dug the meat of the drawmer... thanks for the post! I'm going to try one of those guys out now!
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
I really dug the meat of the drawmer... thanks for the post! I'm going to try one of those guys out now!
Yeah, for me it was confirmation again why I like the Drawmer so much on drums. Attack 4, release 1 and just dial in the treshhold to get the amount of compression you like
The Distressors actually also surprised me a little, clearly better than the UBK Fatso. I still have a love/hate thing with this one. It does some cool things, but I never really like it on a subbus. More for vocals or bass, but there are compressors better at that too. Thinking of selling mine for a Buzz audio SOC or an API 2500...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,
Hope everyone is having a great 4th or July. I ran "the" Sample through the CLX-VU incase anyone wants to hear. Its based exclusively on the DBX 160VU compressor.

I'll have samples with the PYE next.

Happy 4th!!

@Worlez: Thanks I'm glad you like the PYE! Its super warm and punchy. To me its a flavor that I found lacking in my palette of compressors. Especially recording in digital. It really warms things up in a way that makes them sit really well in a mix. PS you should hear it on Acoustic guitar!! Also I'm just a guy that likes to record music and build equipment, If you want a PYE shoot me an email, I am in the process of building a handful of them and would enjoy having some money to make some other projects available
emailed you!
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Are you going to reissue the pye comp?
Yes!
Old 5th July 2011
Gear Guru

Abechap, check your connections on the PYE, I think the polarity is inverted (listening to the first samples you posted).

I'm still in awe of how it treats the hf transients. Good analog comps have a way of seeing 'thru' the hats and ride, every plugin I've ever used mows them down on the way to the snare. I feel like this is a puzzle for the ages, one of the most meaningful differences between the high end boxes and the software code.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hello,
Yep good chance the polarity is inverted, with the input and output transformers, I haven't checked the polarity yet, and until I get it in a rack mount box (got the chassis today! yay) when I set it up and put it away Its a 50/50 chance.
Good looking out!

And yes it does keep a very smooth top end. They original circuit is amazing! The whole circuit is like a giant puzzle and you take one tiny part out, or change it and it effects everything. trully brilliant people at PYE back in the day.

Hardware is Def the way to go

Cheers,

Abe
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:

Greetings,
Dirk
Really dig that UBK Glue sound clip! The UBK Fatso sounds like a really versatile drum buss comp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search