The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
It´s simply my favorite tube compressor ever...and I don´t think this will change soon!
there´s just tooo many things to love about the Rockruepel CompOne....the line amp alone is worth the money and can do wonders...and the compression can be set to an insanely fast attack for a tube comp, it´s light years from a one trick pony
It seems that no one here owns it, so no samples....
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with you . .
Even a $250 Dyna Mite can make a damn good 'high end' drum compressor
. . many high end things do not have to cost a buttload of dough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
I know its probably the minority opinion around here but i just use what ever is left over or what's not being used in the mix.

Definitely not $4K's worth of trouble.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
the new Neve 32264's reissues are sounding good,if that's your thing.
Curious to have a listen, mind post the recording?
Anyone can chime in with a 33609?
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareofdogs View Post
Curious to have a listen, mind post the recording?
Anyone can chime in with a 33609?
The newer JD is very different to the older 33609 metal knob.
less life and punch.curve feels different.still usable for things but much prefer the old one for drums
the new 2264's are much more in the vein of the old metal knob and original 64's.
imo this is the first RI comp they got "right".
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Recordings through your gear much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I did a large number of samples through the FCS P4 DMS, and put them in the P4 DMS thread, they start here:

Foote Control Systems P4 DMS drum samples

Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear
IJ Research UN76

Here's your clip as run through my IJ Research 1176 (a stereo take on the 1176 with a twist- Neve 1272 inspired outs)

I might have smeared the stereo image a bit since I ran through this quickly but you get the idea...first file is with a 4:1 ratio and the last 2 are in "all buttons in" mode.
Attached Files

4_1_Slowattack76.wav (2.42 MB, 1174 views)

All_In_Slowattack76.wav (2.42 MB, 1122 views)

All_In_FastAttack76.wav (2.42 MB, 1233 views)

Old 26th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I find myself using a comp on the drum bus for coloring rather than compressing, so gentle settings are my choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
Here you are.
This is my favourite tube compressor, QES Labs Variable Gm.
file 1 w/out S/C HPF, file 2 with hpf, file 3 parallel compression,
file 4: gentle settings.

Have fun!
heh
The file #4 from the Qes comp was my favorite among all the clips.
Smooth tone, nice 3D depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustmake-Beats View Post
...some samples of Portico compression at work on the drum bus. ...
FF mode sample was my second choice.

Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

So trakker just came in, so I tried some virgin knob twisting. Of course some of the cranesong recommended vintage-mimic settings are included. Non-smash settings gain reduction is ~5-6dB and smash gets all the way down.

Having too much options is distracting at times. You have to know what you want .
Attached Files

acoustic_trakker_1176.wav (3.63 MB, 998 views)

acoustic_trakker_2254.wav (3.63 MB, 932 views)

acoustic_trakker_la2a.wav (3.63 MB, 925 views)

acoustic_trakker_cvca_gentle_fastfast.wav (3.63 MB, 835 views)

acoustic_trakker_optoair_gentle_fastmedium.wav (3.63 MB, 836 views)

acoustic_trakker_smash1.wav (3.63 MB, 880 views)

acoustic_trakker_smash2.wav (3.63 MB, 838 views)

Old 25th February 2011
Gear Maniac

... interesting trakker:
anyway among vca portico really smokes.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

I'm fortunate to have a lot of nice comps but my two favs on the drum buss are a pair of Chandler Germs and my Tube Tech LCA2B.
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Great Thread!

First off, kudos for thinking of a useful comparison thread! So much better to actually have people process your track for us all to hear different compressions then to just have us all screaming at each other over which one is better simply because we dropped 2-4k on it!

I'll add my API 2500 (just turned the knobs until I liked it) and my TG1. This doesn't show the TG1 in it's best light because there's no control for attack time and it farts out the kick real quick in this particular sample. I think it works best on room mics where there's a bit of air in the sound instead of on the entire drum bus. I also really wish it had variable release times so you can get the pump right in time with the music (anyone want to trade for a Zener?) All the same, I processed it in comp and limit mode just to hear it and then added the limit mode in parallel with your original which I fell is the best use of the TG1 on this track.
Attached Files
File Type: aif API 2500.aif (2.42 MB, 658 views) File Type: aif TG1 Comp.aif (2.42 MB, 445 views) File Type: aif TG1 Limit.aif (2.42 MB, 384 views) File Type: aif TG Limit Parallel.aif (2.42 MB, 345 views)
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

You may want to re-do the parallel example. It has problem with latency/combfiltering.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

overstayer compressor ?
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

Ridge Farm Boiler! (In parallel).
Old 28th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
First off, kudos for thinking of a useful comparison thread! So much better to actually have people process your track for us all to hear different compressions then to just have us all screaming at each other over which one is better simply because we dropped 2-4k on it!
Thank you for the kudos, and for chiming in with your samples!
Old 16th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Interesting thread. I would love to hear electronic drums too.
heh
Old 16th May 2011
Lives for gear

FWIW, It varies depending on what I need out of it. Sometimes I need more transients, which would lead me to VCA stuff (different compressors give different flavors - SSL is "smacky", DBX 160 is "knocky"). If I need more bloom or tail, 1176-ish or Chandler-ish. Transient designer is useful sometimes. Lately digging 2254-ish...
Old 16th May 2011
Here for the gear

I don't have access to one currently but I always used to use the ADR F700. I guess maybe they're quite hard to find now? I didn't really know a lot about it other than that it sounded great when pushed hard.

Someone might have one to run some samples through?

+1 from me on the dynamite as well although I assume the plugin means you can't get these for £200 any more.

Tom
Old 17th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
FWIW, It varies depending on what I need out of it. Sometimes I need more transients, which would lead me to VCA stuff (different compressors give different flavors - SSL is "smacky", DBX 160 is "knocky"). If I need more bloom or tail, 1176-ish or Chandler-ish. Transient designer is useful sometimes. Lately digging 2254-ish...
i too use a bunch of different stuff. Really depends on the drum sound...real big fan of the 160vu for "smack"("knock" is pretty spot on btw). Transient designer "sustain" knob is a pretty cool thing sometimes for lengthening and shortening drum attack..

...also gotta give a shout out to the Slate dragons on the drum bus. Lots of versatility there tonally with the switches like "bite" and "sheen". I've been using a pair alot lately and been digging them.
Old 17th May 2011
Lives for gear

Drawmer 1968ME: Attack on 4, Release on 1, adjust treshhold to taste.

Works great every time and not too expensive.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
overstayer compressor ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyFullzy View Post
Ridge Farm Boiler! (In parallel).
It would be nice if you could record a clip.
Old 4th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook View Post
Here's your clip as run through my IJ Research 1176 (a stereo take on the 1176 with a twist- Neve 1272 inspired outs)

I might have smeared the stereo image a bit since I ran through this quickly but you get the idea...first file is with a 4:1 ratio and the last 2 are in "all buttons in" mode.
Is it a diy version?
Old 4th June 2011
Fezzle
Yeh Mush, Urei 1176..hardly smooth. if youre after a little dirt, not so versatile tone wise.. but if youre after the dirt. nothing touches it
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

been using an old 1178 lately and I really like it for the drum parallel
Old 5th June 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Drawmer 1968ME: Attack on 4, Release on 1, adjust treshhold to taste.

Works great every time and not too expensive.

Greetings,
Dirk
And output gain to CRANK...! It will go nuclear if you want...

War
Old 5th June 2011
Lives for gear
great thread.............. but............what about the cymbals????????????????????

having used a couple of the comps in this thread it strikes me that there is a real differnce with how each approached the top end.
Old 5th June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
I would suggest two compressors, one for parallel processing followed by one for the whole drumgroup. in parallel stuff like the TG1 or Zener rock for an explosive ambience sound - the same can be gotten way cheaper with a A&D F600 as well. for the drumgroup I like my 160sl a lot, ssl is classic for this As well, vertigo vsc2, endless possibilities. drumsubgroups also really benefit from saturating the peaks away with stuff like fatsos or a 747 with cranked up input dial and output at minus 20dB. with the 747 you can actually compress, eq and saturate the drumbuss, plus there are two bands of sidechain eq built in as well. the bang for buck combo would be an F600 clone plus a used 747 (dirt cheap cause underrated, just like the 160sl).
Rock on!
i think we drink from the same cup....
160sl i really like on drum group. i recently tried to score an f600 but it got to expensive so i bailed. have picked up a gain brain so will see what that does in place of the f600.
Old 6th June 2011
Lives for gear

personally i never compress any individual drum tracks. i dont see a point if the drummer hits it right. i like using around 2-3 db of compression on the drum bus and enjoy the thermionic phoenix a lot for that. especially with side chain.
Old 10th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Really interesting thread, but got lost in the pages:
is there a vertigo vsc2 sample?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzle View Post
Yeh Mush, Urei 1176..hardly smooth. if youre after a little dirt, not so versatile tone wise.. but if youre after the dirt. nothing touches it
... also a vintage 1176 sample?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search