The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by progfan49 View Post
No suggestions for a pair of 1176s? I'm confused.
I'm confused too, but it ain't got nothing to do with 1176s.

Here's my suggestions:

Light: Drawmer 1968ME

Heavy: 1176 x 2

Do youse feel better now?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I am a big believer of ITB and still currently do all my work that way. Not saying it's 'the right way' but it's the best way for me.

So I've done you a couple of samples from my favourite ITB compressors.

1) Abbey Road EMI TG12413 (2005) High 'Recovery'
2) Abbey Road EMI TG12413 (2005) Low 'Recovery'
3) Slate FG-X Fast Attack
4) Slate FG-X Slow Attack
5) Softube 'Tubetech' CL18, Fast Attack

The Abbey Road compressor is quite limited in functions but if you just turn the 2 top knobs to +10 and then play with the recovery, you can get some pretty hard-hitting drum sounds. Flicking between 'Comp' and 'Limit' also opens some interesting sounds.

The Slate FG-X is my favourite plugin of the moment, being great for keeping the dynamics in mixes even when mastered to high volume. Did something to -5.7RMS the other day and there's barely any clipping at all. But the way it works makes it as ideal for drums as for full mixes, really pushing the drum hits out of the mix. For this reason, it can be very good if you've ended up with a cymbal-heavy mix. The 'Low Punch' knob is great for retaining kick, and the 'Detail' knob for snare, even when really pushing the mix, and the 'Hard' and 'Soft' ITP settings are good for different effects, between smashing hard rock drums and a much smoother sound for more 'melodic' work.

And the Softube Tubetech is great for really dirty garagy drum sounds. Really obvious sound, got a nice little growl to it when you push it and sounds genuinely 'vintage', unlike most of the stuff that gets branded that way. Certainly the most colourful of the 3 compressors and I think it really suits the sample you put up.
Attached Files
File Type: aif Abbey Road TG12413 High Recovery.aif (2.44 MB, 525 views) File Type: aif Abbey Road TG12413 Low Recovery.aif (2.44 MB, 335 views) File Type: aif FG-X Fast Attack.aif (2.44 MB, 377 views) File Type: aif FG-X.aif (2.44 MB, 275 views) File Type: aif Softube TubeTech.aif (2.44 MB, 405 views)
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
Suggestions for a great compressor to use on the drum bus?
I mainly do pop-rock.
Budget max $4k.

I uploaded a drum clip: recordings much appreciated.

Thanks.
Pop or Rock?
SSL / Smart would be great for pop.
ADR Compex / Chandler would be great for rock.

Something between?
I don't know.
Old 20th December 2010
I know its probably the minority opinion around here but i just use what ever is left over or what's not being used in the mix. Like if the SSL Quad comp is being used, i'll use a Neve comp. If the SSL and Neve are being used, i'll use a Focusrite. If all 3 are being used i'll use some Distressors. I all of them are being used else where in the mix than i'll just use the dynamics on the SSL channels. Heck if everything and the kitchen sink are being used i'll go in the other studio and grab a pair of 163X's and call it a day. The point is that the compressor for this purpose is not as big of a deal as its made out to be. Anything can and will work fine for this. In parallel even less of a deal.

Definitely not $4K's worth of trouble.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

To me, the most interesting clips here are:

Variable-Gm, for a huge drum overall sound,
Portico in 'fast forward' mode, big and transparent;
Obsidian Punch, liked the kick.

That would be nice if anyone can chime in with the 2500.

Cheers.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

UBK Fatso.

works great, for many things.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

High End Drum Bus Compressor suggestions

Get fatso and mpressor. That will keep all bases covered.

Those two are my top options.

Best,
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Here are some examples that I liked when playing aoround with the original file! The 160sl proved to be a beast, fantastic upfront sound as well as crazy parallel slamming and it´s limiter takes care of any peaks that might otherwise shoot through. The ubk fatso also did well imho although it is not as flexible as the 160sl. the F600 clone provided a sick Zeppelin-esque room tone for parallel processing. I also liked an SC2 followed by the fatso´s saturation to take the sick peaks down.
Enjoy!

The files are:

160sl - slow attack, fast release, very low ratio and low threshold, followed by peakstop limiter

160sl with F600 parallel

160sl with 160sl (in a fast smashed setting) parallel

F600 solo in the parallel slam setting for grins

ubk fatso glue

ubk fatsl glue spank

joemeek SC2 followed by fatso saturation to take care of the peaks
Attached Files

acdrums_160sl.wav (2.42 MB, 1472 views)

acdrums_paraF600_160sl.wav (2.42 MB, 1250 views)

acdrums_para160sl_160sl.wav (2.42 MB, 1327 views)

acdrums_F600_smashed.wav (2.42 MB, 1404 views)

acdrums_ubkfatso_glue.wav (2.42 MB, 1518 views)

acdrums_ubkfatso_gluespank.wav (2.42 MB, 1539 views)

acdrums_joemeekSC2_fatsosat.wav (2.42 MB, 1372 views)

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Elysia mpressor would be my first choice..
Would be nice if you could post the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlez View Post
Your raw drum tracks sounds great. Mind sharing the details? I particularly like the kick!
Thanks. It was recorded through a D112.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
Here you are.
This is my favourite tube compressor, QES Labs Variable Gm.

Have fun!
heh
This comp was definitely interesting: it really pushes the RMS levels!
More than all the others.
Liked the gentle settings.

DBX 160L really appropriate.

Thank you for sharing!

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
Here you are.
This is my favourite tube compressor, QES Labs Variable Gm.
file 1 w/out S/C HPF, file 2 with hpf, file 3 parallel compression,
file 4: gentle settings.

Have fun!
heh
i really like the sound of this comp!!!
that's kind a like a drum bus should sound
Old 22nd December 2010
I've been really into SSL style comp on drumbuss lately. Great punch
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I've been mixing for five weeks in our new mix room and have tried a whole bunch of things on drum bus. 2500 definitely has punch and a lot of flexibility but I usually use it on the stereo mix bus so move on down the line. The Dramastic Obsidian is very smooth and tames any harshness of the cymbals. A joemeek SC2 (version 1.07 with the output knob on the back) has some cool settings but I tend to use the first position knee which sounds a bit brighter and punchier than the other four settings. I'm really digging a pair of Daking comps, very smooth and rich like a Neve 33609, can really add some thickness to a snare in the mix. For grins I tried a pair of Pendulum OCL 500s and a pair of Purple Action comps; the Purples have that high-mid presence boost that work on darker drums while the Pendulums are smoother. But like thrill says, whatever works!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac
Drawmer 1968me
Old 23rd December 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyman View Post
Drawmer 1968me
I will say the standout feature of the 1968 aside from a very nice compressor, is the ability to drive that tube output section. It gives an additional character and further saturation that can net quite the rock-n-roll crunch in a very good way.

War
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I've also heard that the Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph is a beast on the Drum bus. I don't own one but i'd love to hear if anyone in this thread who has one can run the drum track through it!

Regards,
Frank
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

There are SO many options, and like Thrill says, I feel like most of us do what he suggests: After we sort out the two-buss and individual channels in need of hardware compression, we tend to grab what's left for the drum buss and make it work.

A summary, or taxonomy, of what's been (mostly) mentioned thus far:

• API 2500
• SSL / Smart / Obsidian (variations on the same theme, but different)
• Drawmer 1968
• (2X) Distressors
• (2X) Slate Dragons (not done this, but am curious what it's like)
• (2X) Daking (I like this one, myself)
• (2X) MC77 (or Actions)
• UBK Fatso (love this one, but only used it once)
• Portico
• Foote Systems
• (2X) Chandler LTD-2 (sorta Neve-y, but different—I dig this sound)

...and on and on...

Best of luck.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

TK Audio BC1 or a pair of Distressors works great too.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

You just can't go wrong with two 1176's, or one big fat Thermionic Phoenix.

But I like my drum compression *fast* on the attack, especially now that I'm tapeless. If you like more of that SSL thwack to blend in parallel, it's hard to beat an o.g. 384 although the 2500 does a really credible job and has a sweeter tone to boot.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

I am with thrillfactor here....

I believe that allmost every VCA comp can be a great drum bus comp....especially if we are talking parallel compression...

On the other hand we're on gearslutz right? hehheh

So i have to admit that i really like the distressors hitting hard the drum bus adding a bit of rrrrrrrr on it....latelly i also liked to have a pair of DBX 165 on the drum bus....far more gently but it works well.

Finally i listened to the 2500 and Fatso on the drum bus and started counting coins in my pocket (haven't decided yet but i'm leaning towards the Fatso and probably the UBK) ......greeeeeeaaaaaaattttttttttttttt thumbsup
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

piece o cake:

Old 26th December 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
piece o cake:

Gotta love those VU Meters!thumbsup Have you used this comp?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I really dig my Summit DCL-200 on drum buss. It really opens everything up nicely. Also the tubes help smooth out the highs real nice! thumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Gotta love those VU Meters!thumbsup Have you used this comp?
I even heard the first prototypes some 3-4 years ago and know the two guys behind this beast pretty well

It´s simply my favorite tube compressor ever...and I don´t think this will change soon!
there´s just tooo many things to love about the Rockruepel CompOne....the line amp alone is worth the money and can do wonders...and the compression can be set to an insanely fast attack for a tube comp, it´s light years from a one trick pony
Old 27th December 2010
For pop/rock my vote would be a pair of Chandler LTD-2's for transformer creaminess, even without any actual optional squish (which is fixed at what seems to be about 6:1).

Also bear in mind that in most cases the "old skool" units' limit mode is often more like a 4:1 (as in the Manley Vari-Mu) or up to 10:1 or dependent on input level, certainly not a hard limit. So if the drums buss really needs some taming, hitting it less hard but with a tighter (higher) ratio can often be the go.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post

It´s simply my favorite tube compressor ever...and I don´t think this will change soon!
That would be nice if you could post some samples.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Also bear in mind that in most cases the "old skool" units' limit mode is often more like a 4:1 (as in the Manley Vari-Mu) or up to 10:1 or dependent on input level, certainly not a hard limit. So if the drums buss really needs some taming, hitting it less hard but with a tighter (higher) ratio can often be the go.
While there are some nice options (here in thread), I still like my varimu quite a lot. QES seems a bit more fat, which is nice, but believe me or not, it is not what I'm mostly looking for. I like to get things more in focus. Manley won't do anything too drastic (and still nice - i can make it spit ridiculously, but that's hardly usefull).
I liked portico in a way, though the samples are clipped

BTW my varimu samples were made with higher input (2oclock to full on smashed) and with HP switched on on SC.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

the new Neve 32264's reissues are sounding good,if that's your thing.
I was really surprised they actually nailed it.still overpriced imo.
Old 27th December 2010
My 1178 has been drum bus ruler for a long time, and it is soo easy to adjust the amount of dynamics in the mix with a couple knobs, old school greatness.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies!
Really interesting options.

The QES and the Manley tube compressors are the nicest, with my personal preference on the first one.

Portico FF and 160l were fine too!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
My 1178 has been drum bus ruler for a long time, and it is soo easy to adjust the amount of dynamics in the mix with a couple knobs, old school greatness.
I'd like to hear it, could you process the sample? Thank you heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search