The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which console it this? Consoles
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Which console it this?

Which console it this?
Attached Images
Which console it this?-4.gif 
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

It seems a Neotek
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I thought it was a Neotek at first too, but it's actually a Soundtracks Jade.

Better picture:

http://www.riva-ridge-recording.com/images/P9230060.jpg

Kirt Shearer
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer View Post
I thought it was a Neotek at first too, but it's actually a Soundtracks Jade.

Better picture:

http://www.riva-ridge-recording.com/images/P9230060.jpg

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Thanks for the info! How much do these go for nowdays?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Soundtracs

They aren't well received in the market, 2-3k if you are lucky and the console is in great condition.

HOWEVER you can trade it in for $5k on a Digidesign SC48 or Profile until December 19th...I just did that with my Topaz and it was the best move I could have managed.

Good Consoles all around but the market is goig away from them...fast!

P.S. I am KEEPING my Neotek!!!

Last edited by Pred80r; 18th December 2010 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred80r View Post
They aren't well received in the market, 2-3k if you are lucky and the console is in great condition.
I read this Peter Rauhofer interview here. Interview with Peter Rauhofer Always liked this guys sound. It had a picture of him in front of a console that had me wondering what it is. I use a mackie now but sometime I will upgrade. 3k? Is this a valid figure? I am having a hard time believing it but if this is true where can I buy one?

Quote:
HOWEVER you can trade it in for $5k on a Digidesign SC48 or Profile until December 19th...

Well not really interested in digital mixers but I couldn't afford one either way. Besides who in their right mind would trade this nice analog console for some expensive digidesign digital thing?

Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Soundtracs Jade

This console was last made in 1996, the last one I can find at auction on ebay went for less than 5k... 3 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, the console is WORTH much more and I would much rather have the Jade versus a digital console with sub par mic pre's and digital EQ's but the answer to the question of it's worth is supplied by the market...not me.

Don't forget I just dumped my beloved Soundtracs Topaz Studio 8 console...great sounding EQ's and better than average mic pre's...It still tanked in the selling market.

EVERYONE knows that a white industries 31 band EQ with transformers and hand wired Power Supply is a better sounding unit than the URS plug ins but good luck trying to sell one for more...

As Prince said...Sign O' the Times...

Last edited by Pred80r; 18th December 2010 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: Type -O
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Bought a Jade-S, it's currently on its voyage from the UK to Sydney here.

Will be installing here beginning January, very excited.

Stef
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I've seen many Soundtracs consoles listed on Larking's List in UK over the years. They have a couple listed now, though not the Jade model. Perhaps they can track one down for you?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Tim at Studio systems is good to get in contact with if you're serious... He might hunt one down for you. I got mine through him, good guy to deal with.

Stef
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If anyone here finds a Soundtracs Jade "in great condition" for 2000 USD (which is cca 1500 EUR these days) please give me a shout or drop me a line - I will buy 3 of 'em!!!!!
(and will definitely..."receive them well", eh eh eh)
heh
heh
heh

A
F
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

The JADE's are probably the most underated piece of gear IMHO (well together with the 9098 outboard)...

I used to laugh and making jokes of them (being a proper gearslut) but then i started looking for a big mixing desk and finnaly got a JADE from Tim....

They are perfect for mixing OTB with incredible routing and busing capabilities, nice and gentle (maybe too gentle) sounding eq, really clean amps and usefull (but not something special) dynamics....

I know that many people say that the preamps are lifeless and boring (i used to do also...) but let me tell you this....The amps are definetelly on the clean , neutral side but they are extremely usefull....and i own quite a few outboard amps....and i've heard quite a few too.You see it's not always a good idea to stuck tracks of colored , thick amps ....pretty soon everything will turn to mud and you'll start to cut off all the low mids to get some pressence....so what's the point in this?

As i said the amps are not anything special but then again in most 80s-90s big desks the amps weren't anything special ...even in the bigger toys. Actually there is a transformer option on the input modules so someone could probably check out a few traffos to get some iron mojo in there (i won't....as i said i already have a rack full of big trafo amps)

The layout is great and you can get it working in minutes...

Most of all Tim at studiosystems can ensure that the desk will keep going for many many years....and that's something you should consider when buying a large format desk...

The only thing that could be probably better (and i am researching it right now) is the summing amp.....it's not bad and it has lots of headroom (well you must understand the way analog gain staging works ...especially in these "digital" days) however i'd love to have an option of a more character summing amp, API style maybe...but as an option...as a second bus maybe.

so +1 for JADE

here is ours

Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodemos View Post
The JADE's are probably the most underated piece of gear IMHO (well together with the 9098 outboard)...

I used to laugh and making jokes of them (being a proper gearslut) but then i started looking for a big mixing desk and finnaly got a JADE from Tim....

They are perfect for mixing OTB with incredible routing and busing capabilities, nice and gentle (maybe too gentle) sounding eq, really clean amps and usefull (but not something special) dynamics....

I know that many people say that the preamps are lifeless and boring (i used to do also...) but let me tell you this....The amps are definetelly on the clean , neutral side but they are extremely usefull....and i own quite a few outboard amps....and i've heard quite a few too.You see it's not always a good idea to stuck tracks of colored , thick amps ....pretty soon everything will turn to mud and you'll start to cut off all the low mids to get some pressence....so what's the point in this?

As i said the amps are not anything special but then again in most 80s-90s big desks the amps weren't anything special ...even in the bigger toys. Actually there is a transformer option on the input modules so someone could probably check out a few traffos to get some iron mojo in there (i won't....as i said i already have a rack full of big trafo amps)

The layout is great and you can get it working in minutes...

Most of all Tim at studiosystems can ensure that the desk will keep going for many many years....and that's something you should consider when buying a large format desk...

The only thing that could be probably better (and i am researching it right now) is the summing amp.....it's not bad and it has lots of headroom (well you must understand the way analog gain staging works ...especially in these "digital" days) however i'd love to have an option of a more character summing amp, API style maybe...but as an option...as a second bus maybe.

so +1 for JADE

here is ours

Ooooh, now that's nice!
Nikodemos said a LONG string of truths and a GOOD dose of very practical, sensible, realty-check and use-your-ears thinking here... double thumbs up - I TOTALLY agree!
thumbsup
thumbsup
The Jade is vastly underrated (now - not so much in its time, there is a quite hefty, impressive string of hits and albums recorded & mixed on Jades that speaks quite happily for itself, if one cares to listen up) and brutally overtrashed here on GS (often by many who have little or no hands-on actual experience on it or just enforce... the coolness of hearsay).
Of course it's not API/Neve/SSL sound or features or amazing soundstage (I say this knowing these desks and often working on Neve & SSL - and btw those desks also cost from a minimum of 4x to 12x more even used, today), and it's not a "colour everything" or wannabe supervintage eqs&pres set, but it's a serious, really VERY clean, and moreover formidably well laid out & useful, hands-on workable and feature laden professional console, that can hold its candle to and even beat at their own game quite a few mid/higher range analogue consloes that are often praised or raved upon here in Gearslutland.
Obviously each pair of ears has a different taste and perceptions & trends in sound are debateable to say the least, but there is much to be said for the quantity of headroom that not just the specs but also working on a Jade reveal; for the nice, neat, precise but gentle and clean eq; for the preamps that are clean and absolutely useable and then get just a little bit of low mid grit and actually clip quite graciously; for the zillion auxes; for the really precise panning; for the fantastically comprehensive onboard and internally wired TT patchbay; for the supersimple flexible/floating bussing system and very comprehensive C/R & TB & comms & returns etc features of the master section; and even for the not-at-all bad (by any extent!) main mix buss, again clean with an extended top end and a quite pleasing slight low-mid blooming/bloating - very "analogue".
Plus, they're not exotically AC power or cooling thirsty, and that helps the wallet of the working man!

I'd just say that if U're not recording/mixing hits on a Jade, rest assured it's NOT the desk's fault.

The original designer and main man of Soundtracs, John Stadius, has often said the Jade, btw Soundtracs' top-of-the-range, was his personal favourite of all his analogue designs, and also the model and foundation for all the digital desks that Soundtracs/DigiCo later made and still makes, many of which are in everyday use in PA companies, major live tours, and an amazing number of film & post studios worldwide (researching & reading back issues of magazines like Mix or Studio Sound gives a quite surprising picture).

The dynamics section (btw it was designed by LA Audio, so that's the level/sound we're to expect - not super high end, but definitely not amateur crap!) is perhaps not to be overestimated... after all the very first Jades had ONLY noise gates, and the rest of the dynamics features (comp, lim, autopan, modulator) were added later - and, in fact, apart from the very good autopanner the gates are by far the best sounding, fastest (and I do mean lightning fast - will easily put a Drawmer or BSS to shame!) and most useable of what Jade dynamics offer.
I find the capability of freely linking channels across the desk, not just adjacent ones or odd/even number pairs, a really cool bonus.

All of the above in my opinion & (quite extensive when it comes to Soundtracs Jade desks) experience, obviously.

Happy Holidays,

A
F

PS: Nikodemos, that's a NIIIIIIICE studio U have there in Greece!
And we share the 9098 appreciation, too - I have 2x pre/eqs, and a PurePath DMCL.
(will make a point of calling in for a visit next time I'm on holiday over there in that beautiful country of yours heh)
I'm doing some re-racking and...almost X-mas lights mounting in my mix room these days, as soon as it's done I'll post a pic or two, with my quite special Jade and her very R&R past.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaeffe View Post
Ooooh, now that's nice!

PS: Nikodemos, that's a NIIIIIIICE studio U have there in Greece!
And we share the 9098 appreciation, too - I have 2x pre/eqs, and a PurePath DMCL.
(will make a point of calling in for a visit next time I'm on holiday over there in that beautiful country of yours heh)
I'm doing some re-racking and...almost X-mas lights mounting in my mix room these days, as soon as it's done I'll post a pic or two, with my quite special Jade and her very R&R past.
hey, thanks Andreas....you are very, very welcome to visit us anytime!!

Happy holidays.....and i am waiting for the pics thumbsup
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

My guy is still out on the high seas between Hong Kong and Sydney.

Here's a pic of her.

Stef
Attached Thumbnails
Which console it this?-jadewide1.jpg  
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi guys,

Have started a facebook page for Jade users. Please join if you're interested.

Stef

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search