The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
next compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

next compressor

Ohh great another what should my next compressor thread! haha. Hi guys got 4k im ready to blown on a compressor. At this point I have tons of pres so now its time to up my comp game. I only have a manley vari mu. IM looking for something more versed. Anything beyond 6db of reduction is pointless!.

Im looking for 2 channels that will cover a wide range of apps however mainly voxs and gtr.

Thanks,
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorsound View Post
Ohh great another what should my next compressor thread! haha. Hi guys got 4k im ready to blown on a compressor. At this point I have tons of pres so now its time to up my comp game. I only have a manley vari mu. IM looking for something more versed. Anything beyond 6db of reduction is pointless!.

Im looking for 2 channels that will cover a wide range of apps however mainly voxs and gtr.

Thanks,
Hi

Putting my sales weasel hat on, I might suggest a GTC2.

This is 19" x 2U all discrete transistor, all class A dual channel compressor with three operating modes...

1. Opto
2. FET
3. Both

If you want to squish the Hell out of something there are other choices better suited. But if you want a gentle, musical compressor with a lot of knobs and buttons to give you lots of options... there's the GTC2!

http://www.auroraaudio.net/aa_html/a...ucts_gtc2.html

(Double click on the pictures for a close up!)

PS Taking off the Sales Weasel hat and putting on my designer hat, I might add that the compressor was designed by me on a blank piece of paper as a starting point... and not a diagram of a Neve 2254 or 33609 as a thing to copy. heh

Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yup, GTC2 would be a great addition. thumbsup
Old 17th January 2011
500 series nutjob

Hm2 nail!
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

2 cranesong trakkers- super versatility
2 Daking Fet - steady eddy
2 MC77s - flavah

or for 4k, a good option is a cranesong trakker and a Manley Elop.
use the trakker to chip, and the Elop for the makeup gain (parallel) - its a great combo for vocals and solo'd instruments.
That way you have 3 new channels, and have another stereo comp.
That particular purchase(s) will really expand your options.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

how about two 1176's + two pultec eq's + two 610 pre's in one unit?

Fink Analog Audio | Classic Circuits in Modern Products

i'd love to have this one, but can't afford at the moment.
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorsound View Post
IM looking for something more versed. Anything beyond 6db of reduction is pointless!.

Thanks,
- Two distressors
- Cranesong STC8
Old 17th January 2011
UBK's Fatso kills on voice and guitars. SImple too.
Old 18th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Hm2 nail!
Yup. If you don't have a Nail I highly recommend getting one and strapping it across your 2-bus.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

what a conundrum... choosing ONE high-end compressor...

I have no clue really... but I have recently been intrigued by the offering of Charter Oak. ...don't remember the model number. If it works (like in the videos I've seen) AND you're looking to whack the crap out of the input source but (with major whacking) maintain 'transparency'... it seems like a very cool choice for the bread.

...and I'd second the choice of the Nail.
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Maniac

next compressor

Daking FET 2...mono compressor, Jensen transformer, very musical, one of my favorite pieces in the rack. Very transparent gain reduction, excellent metering, suttle seasoning tone-wise, everything sounds seriously better through it.

The FET 3 is 2 channel version but transformerless, haven't heard it but might be worth a look/listen.

I'll be ordering a 2nd FET 2 as soon as the wife isn't paying attn...
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Putting my sales weasel hat on, I might suggest a GTC2.

Is Tony Belmont on vacation this week?
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

next compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread

Is Tony Belmont on vacation this week?
Hi

Can't I weasel?

Takes all the fun away!

Posted from my iPhone into the cool Gearslutz application....
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Geoff's GTQ2 is a thing of beauty. I wouldn't doubt for a second that the GTC2 is phenomenal.

Let the man weasel! He's offered a wealth of knowledge already on these forums and his products deserve the mention.

GTC2 sounds great, otherwise I would definitely grab a pair of 1176's or any derivative of it...
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Guru

I think if I were buying with that budget, I'd get a few things. Distressors, Drawmer '68, Purple actions or some other 500 comps (if you have a 500 rack), daking. I'd also hit the used market.
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Nut

next compressor

Try my dear friends Guido Apke's new Rockruepel.

Awesome handcrafted compressor.

www.apke-tontechnik.de
Old 19th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
how about two 1176's + two pultec eq's + two 610 pre's in one unit?

Fink Analog Audio | Classic Circuits in Modern Products

i'd love to have this one, but can't afford at the moment.

HOLY CARPS, that looks fantastic!!

I really wish you people would stop tempting me with information on cash-draining extraordinary gear.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Head
The Fink CS2-FA is outstanding.. I am just digging into it and can not believe the this beast actually live is my rack. Denis, I thank you from the bottom of my slutty heart. I am actually interested in chatting with others that own this unit, anyone want to weigh in on this masterpiece?
Old 18th February 2011
AB3
Lives for gear

Grab the Requisite compressor on sale in the classifieds!
Not mine - but that is what I would get.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

+1 on the Aurora. I have the GTQC, and the compressor is outstanding on everything from vocals to kick drums. Amazingly versatile, quality stuff. I can't help but notice nobody's recommending the CL1B. I know its hype and high price has made it fall out of favor a bit around here lately, but I don't think it can be denied that it is one fantastic sounding beast whose high end reputation is well deserved.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Grab yourself two BAC 500s and call it a day! It's one of the most versatile compressors you'll ever use.
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyrec View Post
Try my dear friends Guido Apke's new Rockruepel.

Awesome handcrafted compressor.

APKE Tontechnik
here is the link and info on the comp.one...

http://www.masteringworks.com
Old 19th February 2011
Seriously? This is the easiest queston of all to answer. Every studio, engineer or musician should have at least one 1176 and at least one LA2A.

It's a really simple answer.
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

If I had $4k to blow, I'd buy myself 2 Distressors and a Mohog Audio FET76, or 2 mohogs and 1 distressor. However, just to go classic flavor all the way, since it's what I like, I'd probably go with 2 Mohog's and 3 comp54's to blow my $4k on. There you have 5 channels of pro sounding compression.
Old 21st February 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
Grab yourself two BAC 500s and call it a day! It's one of the most versatile compressors you'll ever use.
sweet comp!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search