The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WHAT's BETTER MYTEK,APOGEE,LYNX OR HD OMNI? Monitor Controllers
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

WHAT's BETTER MYTEK,APOGEE,LYNX OR HD OMNI?

What's better - Lynx Aurora, Apogee AD-16X (I can use it on Logic but not on PT HD 9 b/c I have no outputs no headphone jack, etc), MYTEK or AVID HD OMNI?

I checked out vintageking.com and man I am impressed with Mytek but the nice thing about the Omni it has S/PDIF,ADAT,MIDI,4 MIC PREAMPS, AES/EBU OUT, etc. Does anyone know how good the converters and preamps are in the OMNI? I am seriously thinking about getting out my CC and ordering the MYTEK?? SHOULD I DO IT?? I apologize if you guys get these annoying questions I just spend $8k on PT HD 2 and I HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD INTERFACE. And no to that blue and white digidesign interface crap they used to make. So LYNX, MYTEK, OR OMNI??

Absinta
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

All are great—all are adequate.

The other elements in your signal chain are more important.

Audition each in your room. Decide. Make music. Stop worrying.

Song, performance, arrangement, microphones, and so forth... are far more important.

Best of luck.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

got more ramblin' to ramble on to

I dig your attitude its the way things SHOULD BE but I'm too neurotic about this seriously its like a thirst that can't be quenched.

Right now I'm looking at

PT HD 2 > AD-16X (w X-HD Card) > AES OUT > DB-25 XLR FEMALE??? CABLE > HEADPHONE AMP XLR MALE INPUT(S). Connect my headphones (w/a 1/4 in adapter) to the headphone jack of the headphone amp. Would that work is that how to hook up a headphone amp to get some output on your headphones?

or

PT HD 2 > Lynx 8 HD > gotta go the same way with a headphone amp - I'm sorry I just don't understand how to use it (i've burned a lot of brain cells forgive me)

or

PT HD 2 > OMNI (which I'm starting to hate) and I think I might take it back

PT HD 2 > MYTEK (for about $3,500) easy to use breakout cable headphone jack (I actually just use my Bose QC15 headphones for my monitor (I got assholes for neighbors).

Personally I'm about to get my CC out and order the Mytek. But again guys keep your posts coming I've actually spent well over $15,000 over the past 15 years so like I'm about to reach my apogee (sorry for the pun) or pinnacle and this will make or break it.

On another but similiar note - I played music on Logic with PT HD PCIe Card b/c w/ Logic you get to pick specifically what outputs you want so I just picked my mac headphone jack. Tried it w/ PT HD 9 got input I could see the volume increase as I lightly tapped my mic but couldn't hear a thing. Perhaps if one of you can give me a 101 on headphone amps (I would spend up to $1,000 but no more) maybe I can just get that and use the apogee converter?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I would go with the Lynx Aurora 16 as it has an equal number of inputs and outputs both analog and digital. Moreover its convertor quality is very good.

In terms of hooking up your headphone amp, I would first integrate soem kind of monitoring controller like Dangerous our Crane Song Avocet and then send teh outputs from there to the headphone amp.

With that type of setup you get switching between speakers, comparisons with other inputs (e.g. CD) and talkback

Hope this helps
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you're that neurotic about your sound, I'd suggest getting proper headphones first..
Old 16th December 2010
For PT|HD the Lynx and the Avid are the only two interfaces that are sample accurate to the software so you don't have to manually compensate for hardware insert delay times. So, to me, this would take the Mytek out of the running.

As far as the i/o is concerned between the Avid offerings and Lynx products, Lynx offers more channels of i/o for a lot less money.

The Omni was designed to be an all-in-one piece of gear for people who don't have all the necessary gear (outboard preamps, monitor control, etc.). The Lynx Aurora was designed to be a high end converter, which requires you to purchase outboard preamps, monitor control, etc.

Btw, the Omni has (2) digital controlled mic preamps not 4. It has additional line inputs but only two mic preamps.

WIth regards to what you are looking to accomplish my best advice is to purchase:

(1) Lynx Aurora16 + LT-HD
(1) SPL 2Control
and if you need a pair of mic preamps grab an A Designs Pacifica and you'll be very happy

That'll take care of allowing you to plug-in two pairs of headphones, two sets of monitors (and an optional sub), multiple input sources, and give you 16x16 analog (A/D and D/A) AND 16x16 AES/EBU for your interface/conversion.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I can't tell you which is best, but... I have a Lynx Aurora that I inserted into the signal chain in place of my PT 001 converters. I hear a difference. It's not night and day, but it's enough that if : A) money were no option B) I had all the other signal chain hardware, i.e., mics/dynamics/etc., I'd keep it. Haven't decided whether I will or not, as I think I may need the aforementioned hardware more!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Apogee Symphony IO sounds very, very good.

if you want to buy a cheaper converter that does not sound as good.... go for it.

but you are asking for opinions as to what sounds the BEST.

I have not used the new Avid boxes, nor have I used Mytek

the Apogee Symphony IO sounds WAY better than the Lynx Aurora, in my opinion. But yes, it does cost more.

Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
All are great—all are adequate.

The other elements in your signal chain are more important.

Audition each in your room. Decide. Make music. Stop worrying.

Song, performance, arrangement, microphones, and so forth... are far more important.

Best of luck.
+1, all of those options are excellent if you have the dough. just buy one and don't worry about it too much. literally everying else in your chain and your room is more important than the sublte differences between those units.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
If you're that neurotic about your sound, I'd suggest getting proper headphones first..
Has nobody else noticed how ludicrous this thread is? Dude is mixing on an HD2 rig with freaking HEADPHONES! Conversion should be the least of his worries

that being said, to the OP I say Buy the Mytek and proceed heh
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
For PT|HD the Lynx and the Avid are the only two interfaces that are sample accurate to the software so you don't have to manually compensate for hardware insert delay times.
Hi Josh-

Isn't accounting for a non-Avid [or clone] converter's delay time in Pro Tools a simple one-time matter of typing in a number for each channel in the Hardware Setup?

Thanks,
Andre
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreH View Post
Isn't accounting for a non-Avid [or clone] converter's delay time in Pro Tools a simple one-time matter of typing in a number for each channel in the Hardware Setup?
yes - that is correct.

if you change sample rates, you have to type in a different #.

Old 19th December 2010
Motown legend

You'll really need to listen to them yourself in your own studio. Different line stages and monitor paths can make a surprising difference in which units will perform best. Different models of the same brand can also be quite different.

It would be nice if one could just say x is the best but it isn't nearly that simple.
Old 19th December 2010
Motown legend

Quote:
For PT|HD the Lynx and the Avid are the only two interfaces that are sample accurate to the software so you don't have to manually compensate for hardware insert delay times...
All you need to do is ping it once and you know the setting to always use. The manufacturers may also know what value to enter.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm pretty positive the new symphony I/O has the correct PT latency without having to adjust.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
For PT|HD the Lynx and the Avid are the only two interfaces that are sample accurate to the software so you don't have to manually compensate for hardware insert delay times. So, to me, this would take the Mytek out of the running.
Automatic delay compensation in Protools HD now works with Mytek 8X192ADDA equipped with Protools HD card.

Best Regards,Michal, Mytek New York
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
...the Apogee Symphony IO sounds WAY better than the Lynx Aurora, in my opinion. But yes, it does cost more.

Kind of like saying a scalpel is "way sharper" than a razor blade. Sure it might be technically sharper. But once you get to a certain point in sharpness that **** is going to cut and you're going to get everything you need.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
Kind of like saying a scalpel is "way sharper" than a razor blade. Sure it might be technically sharper. But once you get to a certain point in sharpness that **** is going to cut and you're going to get everything you need.
+1 Well put man.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
You'll really need to listen to them yourself in your own studio. Different line stages and monitor paths can make a surprising difference in which units will perform best. Different models of the same brand can also be quite different.

It would be nice if one could just say x is the best but it isn't nearly that simple.
+1. different sampling rates can make a difference on different converters and within the same converter system. we have Aurora 16s here which i've heard are optimized for working @ 96k. when we were running out of voices once we downsampled everything to 48k and it just sounded terrible so went back up to 96k (PT HD).

i'm interested to see how the new HD I/O and Omni compare to Aurora 16, Orpheus and Apogee Symphony.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search