The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Consecutive Serial numbers?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Consecutive Serial numbers?

Is it really important to have consecutive serial numbers when purchasing compressors? I understand that manufacturing techniques and components may change slightly over time but will it be noticeable?

My situation: I would like 2 Dragons for compressing stereo sources and even on the mix bus.. I can only afford one at this time.

Do I wait? Or does it matter?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
While consecutive serial numbers are not that important unless you have contacted the manufacturer in advance and paid specifically for a matched pair of units, you should at least establish that any 2 units are built to the same 'revision' number as periodically units may have components or layout changed which may have a slight bearing on being a 'pair'.
Changes are sometimes made due to component availability and to improve 'ease of manufacturing'.
Consecutive numbers are NOT an indication necessarily as you could have the last of one 'batch' and the first of a different batch.
Matt S
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ive noticed on quite a bit of boutique gear, things ABSOLUTELY change over time.

The good thing is if you want them matched, send the one you have to the manufacturer to match it and then have them both sent back. A good distributor can help you there.

Its not hard to do, and theres definitely no guarantee that things wont change.

Chandler, BAE, Universal Audio, the list goes on...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search