The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Comp/Lim for transient control Single-Channel Preamps
Old 16th December 2010
Best Comp/Lim for transient control

Dragged kicking and screaming into a completely digital environment of PT8 (soon to be 9), I dispensed with my favorite compressor for transient control: Magnetic Tape.

So I ask all of you who are like-minded. What are your favorite pre-PT analog compressors for getting maximum signal to tape...er...to disk... and keeping a lid on those spiky transients especially on drums.

All opinions and suggestions welcome. I'm looking for a fresh perspective as well as peer input on tried and true units I still have and use.

Kindest regards,

Ward
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Guru

Odds are pretty good if it's an opto or a fet it can make me smile. For tracking I like things superfast and I just want that meter hiccuping, or maybe twitching is a better word. That leaves the dynamics intact but takes care of that pesky initial millisecond.

If you love tape's transient rounding, try the anamod, it nails that effect.

Gregory Scot - ubk
Old 16th December 2010
SRS
Lives for gear

Distressor(s). They are very very flexible. Fatso can do some nice tricks too.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm planning on getting an SPL Transpressor very soon to try out.

More control over transients with this thing compared to any other comp I imagine.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

1176 hands down. Not even a question. That is the first one...

John
Old 16th December 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
1176 hands down. Not even a question. That is the first one...

John
Yup, 1176 style comps are just so fast and pleasant on drums for sure...among other things.

War
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I recommend you try out the Anamod ATS-1 as ubk said.

The Ampex 351 setting is amazing..
Old 17th December 2010
Thanks folks. The opinions of others are always important when looking for a new approach/different point of view.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Rupert Neve Designs' Portico 42? That's their tape simulator.

Thanks in advance,

Ward
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I would not look at limiters if you want what tape gave you, tape emulators do a better job. the saturation of the fatso can tame peaks really nicely, a 747 with cranked up in and padded out does it in a more hifi way
and so on and so forth...the only analog limiter I know of, fast enough to be similar to tape without sounding like a compressor is the Peak stop limiter in the dbx160sl - fantastic, underrated piece.
having said that, I am totally amazed by UA's new studer Plugin. Finally a plugin tape emulation that can compete with the best analog pieces. You could put it into your input channels while recording...surely cheaper than 12 channels of fatso or anamod when recording drums....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search