The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AVID OMNI excessive fan noise??? Audio Interfaces
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

AVID OMNI excessive fan noise???

I just ordered an OMNI and was perusing the DUC' and found this thread
Omni Fans? - Avid Audio Forums

I am a one room studio and this would be bad news for my acoustic gtr and vocal tracking.
I can understand having some soft fan noise but from some of the posts in the DUC thread is seems excessive.
Is any body here having a similar problem ?

How bout it AVID/Max G. ? is this an issue ? if so HOW is AVID planning on correcting it . THanks, Kev
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bump anyone using an Avid OMNI ?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut
I was seriously considering getting the Omni, but am now reconsidering after seeing the thread on the DUC, I don't have a separate control room so need equipment to be as quiet as possible.
Any update on a fix for this? Is it all units that have this problem?
Maybe I'll just go with metric halo... hmm
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

What I have understood so far is that it seems for most units, the fan is off until the unit heats up a fair amount. Which is when the unit is getting heavy usage. So for many one room situations is much more likely to occur during mixing. Unless of course you were tracking for long periods. I have found some some quite fan units designed for computers that may be a possible solution in the interim until Avid might come up with a better solution. here is the link for the fans ....http://cwww.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e...=9dbPapst.html
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry, People are out of their minds and these cases are likely isolated to their specific units. The Omni I have is pretty damn quiet. Not anywhere even remotely close to the old 96/192 boxes. Its been quiet enough for me to record quick foley and temp VO in my edit room without any issue. thumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseplant View Post
Sorry, People are out of their minds and these cases are likely isolated to their specific units. The Omni I have is pretty damn quiet. Not anywhere even remotely close to the old 96/192 boxes. Its been quiet enough for me to record quick foley and temp VO in my edit room without any issue. thumbsup
Good to know yours is quiet. Thanks. Mine has just arrived so I be finding out pretty soon
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseplant View Post
Apparently it people are in there minds but it is only in certain situations

this is from the new firmware update page from Avid hopefully this will help.

"The cooling fan of the HD OMNI interface would produce excessive noise after a few minutes under certain conditions. (PTSW-130263)"

* The DigiTest 9.0.1 firmware update for HD OMNI (v.2.10) includes a new cooling algorithm that improves some user's experience of fan noise without sacrificing cooling performance.
* To update HD OMNI firmware, run the DigiTest 9.0.1 application with HD OMNI connected to your system.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Head

i use mine in a small one room studio recording vocals and instruments etc within 2 meters from the unit and i never even noticed it making any noise whatsoever. i think you more likley to have a rumbly belly disturbing your recordings than the omni...
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclit View Post
i use mine in a small one room studio recording vocals and instruments etc within 2 meters from the unit and i never even noticed it making any noise whatsoever. i think you more likley to have a rumbly belly disturbing your recordings than the omni...
Good to hear, it certainly seems to be case specific and perhaps with the firmware update a non issue.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Update

OK since I am the one that started this thread I thought I should give an update.

First I didn't get my OMNI until a little over a week ago and from the get go I did the full PT 9.0.1 install which has a firmware update specifically for the fan.

So Far : the OMNI while not totally silent is not as loud as either my mac pro or my GLYPH GT050Q. I think that once my Mac and Glyph are in an iso box the OMNI will be fine in the rack in the track/mix room. Other than that I am loving this box thumbsup
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

So are you able to track beside/close to it?

I ask because i have small but well treated one room home studio,
and will have to track fairly close to it if i was to buy the omni.

Maby as close as 1 meter.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search