The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
8-channel converter AD/DA Audio Interfaces
Old 15th December 2010
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Tuberizer's Avatar
 

8-channel converter AD/DA

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for an 4 to 8 channel AD/DA converter simply because thats the amount of channels I need to send to the computer at the same time (pretty obvious huh?). I have no experience with multichannel converters, so far I just needed one stereo converter. I was using the Lavry Black AD-10 and DA-10 and I loved them.

Any recommendations? Moneys not THAT much of an issue, I want good and reliable gear that delivers. What about cascading, is that an issue?

Thanks millions in advance!!!
Old 16th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for an 4 to 8 channel AD/DA converter simply because thats the amount of channels I need to send to the computer at the same time (pretty obvious huh?). I have no experience with multichannel converters, so far I just needed one stereo converter. I was using the Lavry Black AD-10 and DA-10 and I loved them.

Any recommendations? Moneys not THAT much of an issue, I want good and reliable gear that delivers. What about cascading, is that an issue?

Thanks millions in advance!!!
Since money's not an issue, why not just get an 8 channel rack of Lavrys.?
Old 16th December 2010
  #3
Mytek 8x192 sounds huge and very detailed (and you get it with a free Firewire card, today being the last day for that promo)
Old 16th December 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
 
ResonantMind's Avatar
 

Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 8.
Old 16th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
tampa's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for an 4 to 8 channel AD/DA converter simply because thats the amount of channels I need to send to the computer at the same time (pretty obvious huh?). I have no experience with multichannel converters, so far I just needed one stereo converter. I was using the Lavry Black AD-10 and DA-10 and I loved them.

Any recommendations? Moneys not THAT much of an issue, I want good and reliable gear that delivers. What about cascading, is that an issue?

Thanks millions in advance!!!

Money is always an issue, what ball park did you have in mind? By the 3rd post you are already into multiple K$.
Old 16th December 2010
  #6
SRS
Lives for gear
 
SRS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResonantMind View Post
Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 8.
I agree. I also own Benchmark and Lavry AD/DA. The Lynx stuff just works well and stays outta the way. Simple yet effective.
Old 16th December 2010
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Tuberizer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa View Post
Money is always an issue, what ball park did you have in mind? By the 3rd post you are already into multiple K$.
If that sounded too ballsy I'm very sorry. Of course money is an issue, I just wanted to avoid that ppl tell me to use the converters from my interface that's it.
Old 16th December 2010
  #8
Gear Addict
 
Tuberizer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Mytek 8x192 sounds huge and very detailed (and you get it with a free Firewire card, today being the last day for that promo)
What is that FW card good for?
Old 16th December 2010
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
What is that FW card good for?
For connecting to a Firewire input on a computer (instead of AES or lightpipe)
Old 16th December 2010
  #10
Gear Addict
 
Tuberizer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
For connecting to a Firewire input on a computer (instead of AES or lightpipe)
Of course. Now I feel stupid for asking hehheh
Old 16th December 2010
  #11
Gear Addict
 

I love my Lucid 88192! Even if money is an issue, it's a good buy, and it does its job well. 8 ch in, 8 ch out, lots of routing options... can't go wrong.
Old 16th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
I bought lucid too... as and addition to my lavry blue. I was curious what I'm missing with Lucid, so I did some DA->AD loops AD DA loops: Lavry Blue and Lucid 88192 .

Lucid is very cheap 2nd hand. I had mine for $1250. Great value and it is not really worse than lavry, not that I wouldn't prefer lavry on something, but...

But if you're looking for more than 8i/o, there is SSL Alphalink, hard to beat with 24 i/o at that price and quality.
Old 16th December 2010
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Metric Halo ULN-8 or LIO. Outstanding sound quality with lots of DSP extras or Lynx Aurora for straight and simple.
Old 16th December 2010
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Tuberizer's Avatar
 

Thanks so much for the replies guys!!!

Soundwise let me go into detail: What's the main difference in sound from the converters you suggested, is there one being super transparent or another one being full of character. And again: Is cascading an issue? Are any experiences how often you can A-D-D-A a signal back and forth with certain converters before it gets noticable?
Old 16th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
kooz's Avatar
 

Cascading? Do you perhaps mean Looping back? as in audio out to a device, then back in, then back out to another device, etc, etc? do a search on here, there are many long <ahem> discussions, etc. about this. whatever the conclusions were, it's not as much of an issue as moving tape past heads was back in the day of 2" machines.

If you do mean cascading multiple units for more ins and/or outs on a Firewire buss, that depends on the Sample Rate your session is running at. I believe the theoretical max is 64 channels on FW...so that would be 8x8 channel units or 4x16 channel units daisy chained, as long as you don't mix and match converters.
Old 16th December 2010
  #16
Gear Addict
 
Tuberizer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post
Cascading? Do you perhaps mean Looping back? as in audio out to a device, then back in, then back out to another device, etc, etc? do a search on here, there are many long <ahem> discussions, etc. about this. whatever the conclusions were, it's not as much of an issue as moving tape past heads was back in the day of 2" machines.

If you do mean cascading multiple units for more ins and/or outs on a Firewire buss, that depends on the Sample Rate your session is running at. I believe the theoretical max is 64 channels on FW...so that would be 8x8 channel units or 4x16 channel units daisy chained, as long as you don't mix and match converters.
Thanks, yeah I ment the former, like looping back. Thought that this was called cascading, English is not my mother tongue, sorry

So... are there any of the recommended converters doing this better then others? And what about the sound? Character, clean, transparent, which converter is what?
Old 16th December 2010
  #17
Gear Addict
 
monsieur x's Avatar
The Mytek 8 or the Lynx Aurora 8 would be excellent choices.

What is your purpose for? Although I believe both would fulfill any role in the studio with elegance and great transparency, it could help narrow down your search if you told us your exact goals.

My personal experience: I use Lynx Aurora converters everyday for tracking, mixing and the occasional mastering (although I master completely ITB). I am very happy with them, they have rock solid drivers and give me no issue whatsoever. I have the FW card at home with an Aurora 8, and have done remote recording with it. Lynx makes a very dependable piece of equipment.

Hope this thread has given you some good ideas and information; lots of good responses on here!

Best,
Old 17th December 2010
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieRice View Post
Metric Halo ULN-8 or LIO. Outstanding sound quality with lots of DSP extras
Definitely +several thumbsup for any of Metric Halo's products - if you need Pres get the ULN-8 -or the LIO8 if only line level amplification.... you'll not regret it!!
Old 17th December 2010
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

how's the On-board 32-channel Mixer
on the lynx aurora 8 or
better yet what are some real world things you have or could used it for???
I plan on buy one for sure.. running 4 vocal mics in and 2 guitars into some 500 series preamps(in a lunchbox 6-slot chasis)
into the lynx into the lines ins of Tascam DM-4800 and out it's 32/32 in/out firewire card into Cubase 5
and plan on running mixing stems back out of Cubase 5 to back through the lynx(do you think I would need another aurora unit)
into
Dangerous Music D-Box for
Summing
also for Monitoring, Talkback for tracking

I'm just thinking I won't need another lynx unit if I can use the on board mixer which is like a patchbay
or
use the AES/EBU I/O's for going to the dangerous music d-box
and
use the analog in/out's for the tracking in of the mics and guitars,etc.....
?????????help lol....I know this setup might sound weird but I think it will work well for me.. the Tascam DM-4800 being the center piece and control surface of the studio
I make all my instrumentals with Komplete 7 and a keyboard MIDI so that's in the box...
guitar rig very nice for bass and eletric guitar tracking
Old 17th December 2010
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur x View Post
The Mytek 8 or the Lynx Aurora 8 would be excellent choices.

What is your purpose for? Although I believe both would fulfill any role in the studio with elegance and great transparency
+1 on the Aurora 8.
A true solid performer.
Old 17th December 2010
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
Lab of Sound's Avatar
 

Because nobody else mentioned it before: Prism Orpheus. I am using it for a bit over a year now and I find it a great unit, much better than the Apogee Ensemble I was working with before. In a typical setup, I run audio into the Orpheus, process and mix into stems in DAW, run audio stems out again for OTB summing and some analog processing, audio in again, and then out again via SPDIF for monitoring with my D-Box. So "cascading" is no problem and I find that it does not compromise audio quality. That being said, I mostly record synthesizers i.e. synthetic sounds, so maybe you will hear a different opinion from someone recording for instance a jazz trio.

Cheers,

Jack
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
buzzjoe / High end
40
eskay / Product Alerts older than 2 months
12
tumbador / High end
5
Christof / So much gear, so little time
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump