The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Headphone Amp Headphone Amps
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

High End Headphone Amp

What is the best single channel headphone amplifier out there? I'm kinda iffy about trust a rolls or behringer.
Old 14th December 2010
pwn
Gear Maniac

I had a rolls and it literally caught fire inside my rack!!!

I would recommend the presonus unit, its pretty good. Mine went THROUGH a fire (studio burned) and still works so it is quite the opposite.

HP60 is the model.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

What seriously?!! I knew something was not right about those things... I know for most people headphone sound quality is no where near as important than a monitor amp, but for me it really is. I want the best little headphone amp out there money can guy. Ill check out the presonus, Thanks
Old 14th December 2010
pwn
Gear Maniac

Yea dude I'm not kidding, the thing burst into flames lol. POS
Old 14th December 2010
Presonus HP60

I got the HP60 but should have gotten a Rane or better. The Presonus is a light duty unit. The 1/4 inserts seem flaky - wiggle the cable and the connection is lost. Connection can be lost for no reason - go over, check the cables and it comes back. Good idea, built to price.

Cheers.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear
Presonus would be good if you enjoy shrieking, ear bleeding sibilance. Look at a Benchmark DAC1 for a more pleasing and accurate experience.
Old 14th December 2010
pwn
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
Presonus would be good if you enjoy shrieking, ear bleeding sibilance. Look at a Benchmark DAC1 for a more pleasing and accurate experience.
LOL 1k for a headphone amp? Why does he need D/A conversion again?
Old 14th December 2010
pwn
Gear Maniac

The Rane looks nice, but it doesn't have the mixing capabilities of the HP60.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

SPL phonitor isn't too bad. It comes with a price. But you asked for the best.

Videos: Sound Performance Lab
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Maniac

O.P.:
IME the QES labs HPBA-2 balanced amp, with a Senn HD-800 and balanced cable, are a top notch reference listening system through dynamic headphones.

Check the review on this thread:
New reference headphone monitoring system
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwn View Post
LOL 1k for a headphone amp? Why does he need D/A conversion again?
He asked for the best and the headphone amp in the DAC1 is pretty stellar. Second hand they pop up all the time for £500
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well the Senn Orpheus was priced at 20 k Usd (including cans) which make the DAC-1 a bargain.

The Benchmark is super stellar. If that's what you want it IS a bargain. I mix in cans 80% of the time and highly rely on the DAC-1 and Beyer DT-770.

Cheers - Pär
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareofdogs View Post
O.P.:
IME the QES labs HPBA-2 balanced amp, with a Senn HD-800 and balanced cable, are a top notch reference listening system through dynamic headphones.
+1
thumbsup
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Mytek Private Q is probably the best that I've used but it is not single channel, and it provides multitrack mixing for each user station.

Masque also makes one.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

the headphone amp in the Benchmark DAC-1 is available without the DtoA converter...the H1

but if the options you mention are Rolls & Bellringer...you could probably benefit from the improved DtoA as well
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Nut

The Grace M902 with a set of Senn HD 650's is outstanding.
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareofdogs View Post
O.P.:

Check the review on this thread:
New reference headphone monitoring system

that's absolutely the best headphone amp money can buy.
Read my review at the link above.My search for an high end
headphone amp(even if for me it's a monitoring system through headphones)
has ended the day i've started to use the hpba2s
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rash View Post
What is the best single channel headphone amplifier out there? I'm kinda iffy about trust a rolls or behringer.
I use the Grace m902B and am about to upgrade to the new and improved Grace m903.

Old 14th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieRice View Post
The Grace M902 with a set of Senn HD 650's is outstanding.
+1

Yes it is - my old system was this.

I then upgraded to the HD 800 headphones and in the new year plan to upgrade to the new m903.

The USB input of the 903 is now 24/96 and 24/192 capable which the 902 was not.
Old 14th December 2010
Here for the gear

How much do you want to spend? I power my Sennheiser HD650 with a Vivid Audio V1-USB. It cost about $100, and it works great. Together with the cans, that's $500 of gear, which is, IMO, "high end."

If you want something higher-end than that, then get thee over to head-fi.org.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
Sorry this is 'picky' and a bit off topic but WHY is there a dirty great cross head screw in the middle of a front panel on what I presume is an expensive piece of kit?
On a 20 buck Behringer or whatever, maybe.
Matt S
Old 14th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
Sorry this is 'picky' and a bit off topic but WHY is there a dirty great cross head screw in the middle of a front panel on what I presume is an expensive piece of kit?
Matt S
That's how you change the sample rate
Old 14th December 2010
The Avenson Headphone amp is killer sounding.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
Quote [That's how you change the sample rate]
Unquote.
Surely a DAC FOLLOWS the incoming data stream, you don't set it like an A/D convertor?
A DAC chipset has outputs for indicators to tell the user what it is receiving.
Whatever...
Matt S
Old 14th December 2010
Quote:
Hi
Quote [That's how you change the sample rate]
Unquote.
Surely a DAC FOLLOWS the incoming data stream, you don't set it like an A/D convertor?
A DAC chipset has outputs for indicators to tell the user what it is receiving.
Whatever...
Matt S
I was joking
Old 15th December 2010
I had the Grace M902, great unit, great flexibility but at $1500 you'd think the damn thing wouldn't make a loud pop when you powered it up or off.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Adam
Sorry I missed that as I have the 'flu at the moment. My original comment stands then.

Chromalord, If they made it 1502 Dollars they could add a mute relay!
It is really very disappointing to see (hear) how many expensive pieces of kit thump and bang at power up / down and even more so that many of them have the necessary electronic parts already installed but some degree of 'brain fade' puts the 'logic' the wrong way up so that it is normally ON rather than normally muted.
Matt S
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi
Matt S
It's an American company.

The original 902 had a flat head screw.

It's obviously needed to support what is behind the panel - personally, I would have preferred them to do it another way. But I presume that doing the job properly was more important than cosmetics when it came down to the final analysis.

I think I preferred the flat head screw as at least it looked like an adjustment pot.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromalord View Post
I had the Grace M902, great unit, great flexibility but at $1500 you'd think the damn thing wouldn't make a loud pop when you powered it up or off.
They have fixed this in the 903.

Oh - and $1,500 is cheap - the 902B is £1,500 in the UK (that's about $2,400) and you have to add 17.5% VAT to that, which makes it £1,762.50 / $2,820.00 retail.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search