The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any TC Electronic M5000 users?
Old 10th December 2010
  #1
Any TC Electronic M5000 users?

I just bought a TC Electronic M5000. It worked for 1.5 hours and then it would not boot up. Fortunately, Doug Jane (he is a star) replaced the caps in the power supply and got it working again. Anyway, I am loving this unit (sounds less digital than my Eventide H8000FW). The hard floor reverb sounded very natural on a drum kit and the plain chorus sounded magical on a guitar. I am anxious to read more up on this beast but have been unable to find any information on the net (with the exception of a few threads on gearslutz and the tc electronic site). I would be grateful if anyone could direct me to any reviews. I would also be interested to in hearing about your experiences with this unit (loves and hates) and whether you know of any albums that it can be heard on.
Old 11th December 2010
  #2
Harmless Wacko
 

Great boxes.

Simple. Effective.

Just use it.

You'll find PLENTY to like.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 11th December 2010
  #3
I agree. While there are not a tonne of presents in it there are many useful and inspiring fxs. I previously had a PCM-80 and found that, with the exception of synths, vocals and drums did not sit well in mixes and annoyed me. Consequently, it used to take me hours mixing. However, this beast sounds natural works on everything. Mixing is now taking less time (than when I just had my other gear) and the results are phenomenal. I mixed a song last night for a group containing 16 tracks all of which had been recorded by the engineer at 16 bit 44 Khz. The original tracks sounded very harsh, trebly and digital. After putting the tracks through some Manley gear and cutting back the mids and highs the individual tracks sounded better. However, adding the TC M5000 brought them to life and glued them together nicely. The clients are very happy punters.
Old 11th December 2010
  #4
Registered User
 
Rick Sutton's Avatar
 

try kitpig1 on drums. Great fun.
Old 11th December 2010
  #5
Still a "go to" box for me!

Dig into the ER/Variable Decay/Etc..

Much to find inside!

Old 11th December 2010
  #6
Gear Head
 
post pro's Avatar
 

Damn ATAC...

I have the X model with extra DSP cards but my ATAC blew up and TC doesn't want to fix it since it is a discontinued product. I miss it very much as I can't access the unit now.

I've even contemplated picking up a M5000 to control my X as the unit really can be a great drum verb box. Cool efx unit as well.

Enjoy it...

Matt @ Post Pro
Old 12th December 2010
  #7
Thanks for your replies. I will definitely try the presets you have recommended.

I seriously recommend people contact Doug Jane in New Zealand if they need gear repaired. His website is Doug Jane Recording. He can fix almost anything including TC Electronic, AMS, Neve, Lexicon, Neumann, Ampex, etc. He is a real star and has clients in the US and all over the world. I am so lucky he is only a 1.5 hour's drive away.
Old 12th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
still gets used here.
Old 12th December 2010
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
still gets used here.
Here too. Great box.
Old 12th December 2010
  #10
Gear Head
 

Tc m5000

I am using TC M5000 with two digital cards, connect digitaly, nice machine and everything inside. If anyone has a annalog ADA 1 for TC M5000, please let me know, I would like to have one ADA-1 card

Cheers
Old 13th December 2010
  #11
I checked out Metronome's website and the gear list is to die for. What a dream studio. Totally amazing setting and the TC M5000 is there along with a 480, PCM70, AMS RMX-16, TC 2290, etc etc.
Old 28th February 2011
  #12
With MD2 - is the BOMB machine! thumbsup
Old 1st April 2011
  #13
Gear Maniac
I'm setting up a midnam document for an M5000 for use in Pro Tools. Does anybody know if the M5000 responds to Bank Select messages? The manual is very lacking in detailed MIDI info. I have it responding to Program Changes on both DSPs (set the MIDI channels 1 & 2 respectively) but it doesn't seem to respond to any Bank Select messages. Not a deal breaker, but there are more than 128 presets and I'd like to be able to access them all from within Pro Tools for recall purposes.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 1st April 2011
  #14
Tech support might know.
Old 6th April 2011
  #15
I am loving my MC5000. The 2 independent stereo fx are very handy. I haven been using it mainly on drums and guitar. It also has some very usable reverbs for speech and vocals. I don't have the MD2 option installed but have other outboard gear that I use for compression.
Old 14th July 2014
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Cracked this out for controlling a difficult high end and low end individually with the three band DYNAMIC section, works really well. Better than the free plugins I'd used, definitely!
Old 31st May 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Still looking for an ATAC remote!
Old 31st May 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 

I bought an ATAC brandnew directly from their german salesrep last year. It must have been one of the last one available.
Old 31st May 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
I just bought a TC Electronic M5000. It worked for 1.5 hours and then it would not boot up. Fortunately, Doug Jane (he is a star) replaced the caps in the power supply and got it working again. Anyway, I am loving this unit (sounds less digital than my Eventide H8000FW). The hard floor reverb sounded very natural on a drum kit and the plain chorus sounded magical on a guitar. I am anxious to read more up on this beast but have been unable to find any information on the net (with the exception of a few threads on gearslutz and the tc electronic site). I would be grateful if anyone could direct me to any reviews. I would also be interested to in hearing about your experiences with this unit (loves and hates) and whether you know of any albums that it can be heard on.
Waldie,
I would jettison this ASAP as quite simply their are now so many parts that can't be sourced nor stocked that you might end up feeling a touch bruised, on the other hand if you've got the MD5 toolbox and 4 channel AES and Analog plus ADAT cards, them damn, these are indeed lovely devices and very underrated in fact I'd say the M5000 was one of TC's most productive FX units and it could just do so many things, as always it's a serious risk, though having said that finding a 2nd parts unit certainly will not be an issue etc!

Wow....mouldy old post or what? Sheeeeeesh!

Enjoy!
Old 2nd June 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
I bought an ATAC brandnew directly from their german salesrep last year. It must have been one of the last one available.
They offered me one once, but it was way too expensive considering how much I've seen them go for and their lack of guarantee.
Old 1st May 2017
  #21
Bit of an old thread but just landed with an M5000, and love it.

It has only DSP1 (DSP Pack 3.55, latest ?? ) and now doing a slutty thing now, looking for upgrades.

Anyone got any, even if just firmware or version updates, MD2 licences, other cards etc. you get the gist..

Mine is Bios Version V2.01 Serial 282351 and Flash 2M

Thanks

Craig
Old 1st May 2017
  #22
Here for the gear
 

I am sitting next to 3 broken m5000's right now....
Old 1st May 2017
  #23
Lives for gear
 
JoaT's Avatar
Shane: What kind of symptoms?
Old 14th August 2018
  #24
Here for the gear
 

I have an M5000 that suddenly put itself into demo mode. Anyone have any idea how to take it out of demo mode? Google has not been helpful.
Old 24th December 2018
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Waldie,
I would jettison this ASAP as quite simply their are now so many parts that can't be sourced nor stocked that you might end up feeling a touch bruised, on the other hand if you've got the MD5 toolbox and 4 channel AES and Analog plus ADAT cards, them damn, these are indeed lovely devices and very underrated in fact I'd say the M5000 was one of TC's most productive FX units and it could just do so many things, as always it's a serious risk, though having said that finding a 2nd parts unit certainly will not be an issue etc!

Wow....mouldy old post or what? Sheeeeeesh!

Enjoy!
I ended up selling the TC 5000 and put the money towards a Bricasti M7, which is wonderful for reverb, but I miss the FX on the TC 5000.
Old 8th February 2019
  #26
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
I ended up selling the TC 5000 and put the money towards a Bricasti M7, which is wonderful for reverb, but I miss the FX on the TC 5000.
I own a TC M5000. 2 DSP, 2 ADA cards. Love the reverbs on it.
sold my Bricasti as I wasn't using it enough
Old 8th February 2019
  #27
The reverberation of a five-thousandth to an amateur ... but time processing algos, modulation and effects, this is why I love this thing.
Old 18th February 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
I call the M5000 the "Unsuck button". If a track is a problem in a mix, the M5000 typically can solve the problem one way or another.

I also really like the MId-Side decode for m-s mic setups.
Old 7th August 2020
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

So I've had an M5000 given to me about a month ago. I have no manual with it, but as far as I can work out I have the audio input/output set to analogue, so I should be getting audio into and out of it. But noooooooo....given this beast shows its age by such things as having a 3 1/2" floppy disk drive on the front of it, is it by now a boat anchor?
Old 7th August 2020
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampex 354 View Post
So I've had an M5000 given to me about a month ago. I have no manual with it, but as far as I can work out I have the audio input/output set to analogue, so I should be getting audio into and out of it. But noooooooo....given this beast shows its age by such things as having a 3 1/2" floppy disk drive on the front of it, is it by now a boat anchor?
Does it have the AES cards as well? If so test to see if you can get audio in and out that way. The M5000 has some really good reverbs in it. Its worth it if you can get it working.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1148 views: 145906
Avatar for weave
weave 7th November 2019
replies: 94 views: 15716
Avatar for fwet
fwet 14th October 2015
replies: 2 views: 1216
Avatar for Radardoug
Radardoug 30th August 2013
replies: 1219 views: 109178
Avatar for YashN
YashN 5 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump