The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer 189 mixers? Consoles
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Studer 189 mixers?

Hey everyone-

Found a local Studer 189 board for sale that I could probably get pretty cheap, but I'm not too sure if I have use for it... I dont know much about these at all, how do they compare to the big name boards as far as sound?

I will most likely be using it to track/mix in the small room, currently working ITB. Got some pretty good pres/dynamics (UA, Avalon, SSL Xlogic, etc) Would the Studer preamps and EQs be a step up, or just a different taste..?
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear

I´d say it is a small step up and a nice different color. Buy it if it is cheap.
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear

The Studer pres are KILLER!! The 089 and 189 series consoles sound huge!!! How much are they asking for the console? How many channels?
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Maniac

It's an 18-channel board (18 pres, 4 return faders), asking right around $9k for it. Supposedly in pretty good condition, recently serviced, and its about 15 minutes away. I'm lucky enough to have our studio bout 30 minutes away from Vintage King, so if anything was wrong with it, it probably wouldn't be too hard to get tech'd at our place, even though there's supposedly only a few places that have the right op-amps for it.

I'm planning on going sometime next week to kick the tires, and hopefully get a feel for it. Anyone have any opinions about these boards in comparison to the big leagues? We're (hopefully) soon to have our 4072G+ in our A room, and either Neve or API in the B. This one would be for the C room.

Any info and opinions are appreciated!
Old 19th January 2006
Here for the gear

I had an 089 mk. ii, which was the smaller version IIRC.

The mic pres are very nice, the selectable (mid-band? can't remember) eq is nice (the others aren't that useful outside of extreme situations). The summing buss is well done (separate line driver cards on those.)

9k is a bit steep IMO, especially if it doesn't have any of the patchable compressor/limiter modules (the limiters are very nice)... Some of the parts are a bit harder to work on than on an American board, as Studer was a bit fancy with the switches in the EQ section and the overall design of the modules. (Lots of caps also; some of them seem to have been set up to be FM compatible, and have kind of severe bandwidth limiting; check to see if you can pass 18k or so.)

OTOH, it's beautifully built (as is most Studer equipment) and the mic preamplifiers are certainly better than on the SSL consoles I've heard...
Old 19th January 2006
GSF
Gear Addict
I agree, that doesn't seem cheap to me.
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm really not sure about the limiters.

Click here

All the specs are listed, along with pics. Thanks for all the info so far, it seems like a pretty interesting board!

Keep it coming! heh
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear

I am assuming that this was the one for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago?

I used one of these consoles about 7-8 years ago and I just loved the way it sounded. 9K is a bit steep, but they do sound really nice.
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Maniac

It's the same one. The guy has has 2 ended auctions with deadbeat bidders.

The guy is no further than 20 minutes away from here though. I definately wanna go check it out...
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear

I was drooling over this console.....the one I used was so wonderful and hi-fi.

Hopefully you can talk them down in price...
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Maniac

I'll definately keep that in mind. What would be a good price for it?
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker
I'll definately keep that in mind. What would be a good price for it?

it sounds like you were feeling like it was a good deal, which to me indicates you have the cash and it'll serve your needs. i'd say stick with that point of view, and you'll be very happy every day that you sit down and work with that desk. iow, if you can afford it, and you love tone, and you can't get him to come down, and it's in good working condition... buy it.

where else you gonna get 18 channels of stellar preamps, summing that's utterly gorgeous, and real faders that actually pass audio, for $9k? studer desks are rare, and very hi-fi in a vintage golden-glow way. a definite secret weapon if you ask me.

we like secret weapons.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Maniac

I wasn't feeling anything except curious. heh Hence my posts and begging for responses! The problem with buying a used console is that you dont really get a feel for it until you sit down and really mess with it. I'm trying to get as much of a feel for it as I can without physically sitting with it, albeit it really means nothing, but at the same time, other peoples' experience is all that I have right this second. Thanks for the responses so far!
Old 19th January 2006
hiya

studer 902 12 channel board here. got it for approx 5k euro last year.

not sure how it compares to your model...but nothing but smiles here!

cheers, warner

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search