The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your reference tracks for Rock Mixing?
Old 8th December 2010
Gear interested

Hi all, after the strength of my previous reference thread ..What are your reference tracks for Pop Mixing? - Gearslutz.com .. here goes the next.

What are your reference tracks for Rock.

Begin, and lets try not to talk about audio gear!...please Reference Slutz.
Old 8th December 2010
Usually Radio Heads OK Computer and Social Distortions White Light, White Heat, White Trash. They are both quite different but if I can come close to a common ground between those I'm doing great.
Old 9th December 2010
Depending on what kind of rock....

Stars - Switchfoot

Gone - Black Crowes (most of Amorica, really)

Limp - Fiona Apple
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Trapt-"Headstrong"
The Tragically Hip - "Giftshop"
Old 9th December 2010
Gear addict

Beck - Sea Change -(What a mix, what a sound!)
Jayne's Addiction - Strays
Beatles - Revolver
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor

Several others less often depending upon particular type of music and the feel I am going for
Old 9th December 2010
SRS
Lives for gear

Any of the newer releases by either Karnivool or 10 Years will get me there as rock references.
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ozzie's Black Rain, Phish's Joy, Joe Satriani's Black Swans And Wormhole Wizards, Bad Religion's New Maps Of Hell, Les Claypool's Bucket Of Bernie Brains, Dada, Alter Bridge, Chickenfoot, Nickleback, Eminem - it's usually a mix of whatever has caught my ear recently or what I feel like hearing, what the band recommends and what a given record needs to sound like.

(I need to pick up the new King's Of Leon as well as the new Bad Religion. Tony Shepperd's Joe Barresi interview reminded me of the latter heh)

I still have plenty to learn, and I can learn from almost anyone.
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Guru

Tool's Aenema for hard-hitting and tight.

STP's Purple for loose and fat.

Catherine Wheel's Adam & Eve for washy and organic.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lateralus
Aja
Rage Against The Macine ST
Grace
Kid A
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Head

Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Tool - Lateralus
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

'Diary of Jane' & 'Breath' by Breaking Benjamin - jane was mixed by CLA and Breath was mixed by Ben. Also like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus' first album which has 'Guardian Angel', 'Face Down' & 'False Pretense' on it. All mixed by Ben as well.

Anberlin's entire album mixed by JR McNeely from 2005. The overheads and guitar tones are so creamy and smooth I almost can't take it.

Tonic's album from 2009 - It has 'You Wanted More' on it. Again, great, meaty guitars, drums that don't get in the way, but are still punchy.

For thinners vocal bands that use Fender guitars, I like to pull up Paramore as she is a pretty clean voice over rock. Not my thing as I'm more a Mesa or Bogner with either Les Paul or PRS kinda guy, but I understand many bands use and love Deville's, so I must conform to provide the right service for my clients and satisfy their needs.(one must be open-minded)

For some genres, some Avenged Sevenfold stuff seems to be widely popular with kids coming into my studio. This was Andy Wallace.

Anything by Daughtry, Anything by Nickelback, Anything by Green Day. Some Fall Out Boy stuff is ok, but generally overprocessed and very compressed, same with All-American Rejects, although the album that had 'Move Along' & 'Dirty Little Secret' was amazing. The one after that actually wasn't that loud, or should I say, wasn't mastered terribly loud and really has some nice, creamy guitar tones on it as well. I like this one because he tracked a lot on an sm7b, which is a mic I own, so when a pop-rock band comes in and complains they are not getting the sound they want, I literally show them my 1073 and the sm7b and they can't really say anything....but anyway, we're talking about mixing her aren't we...???
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I don't usually reference when mixing, but if I have to, anything by staub, wallace and cla
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptz View Post
I don't usually reference when mixing, but if I have to, anything by staub, wallace and cla
Hmm, good one, I already have some Wallace & CLA, but I haven't run across Staub stuff that's caught my attention. What do you recommend. I strongly recommend that JR McNeely stuff. It makes me say 'wow' every time I listen to it, kid you not.
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Hmm, good one, I already have some Wallace & CLA, but I haven't run across Staub stuff that's caught my attention. What do you recommend. I strongly recommend that JR McNeely stuff. It makes me say 'wow' every time I listen to it, kid you not.
Dude... Get the new Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCdgYWYXpM

Youtube horrible quality, but you'll hear what I mean
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptz View Post
Dude... Get the new Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

YouTube - Alice In Chains - A Looking In View

Youtube horrible quality, but you'll hear what I mean
Eh, yeah, I have that. I do love the snare on that stuff, but that's about it. It's probably the songs. All I seem to hear is droney perfect 4th/5th harmony all the friggin' time with them. I'm sure there are probably a couple decent songs, but I remember listening to that newest album all the way through after having bought it at Walmart, liking the snare, but feeling like it was one long song...You're right though, the mixing is nice...anything out there with good actual material mixed by Staub?(sorry if this offends anyone, I just don't care for it)
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Back In Black - AC/DC (30+ years old, but still one of the best sounding rock albums of all time)

Black Album - Metallica (add a tad more mid to the guitars, and you have the best sounding metal album in the history of recorded music)

Rage For Order - Queensryche (not the here all end all of reference albums, but a great sound, and an excellent ref choice if the music calls for it)

Overcome - ATR (great guitar sound, great drum sound, and a perfect example of how to eq and mix so that nothing is competing with anything else)

Transendance - Crimson Glory (not the best sounds individually, but another perfect example of how to eq and mix so that nothing is competing with anything else)

Thriller - MJ (not the best sounding album of all time IMHO, but a great ref for that genre)

Motley Crue - Motley Crue (the drum sound - OMG!)

I remember hearing one of the Gov't Mule albums some time ago, and recall saying, "wow that sounds good!"

Cheers.
Old 10th December 2010
For hard hitting rock I like to refer to Chevelle
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

Alter Bridge - Blackbird - really great with some really good candy, bass guitar is insanely good imo (first album is more raw/but also very very good imo)
Entombed - Uprising (dirty - attitude)
Chevelle - Wonder Whats Next (Family System - guitar wall - modern)
Stone Sour - Come Whatever May (very good, great vocal work imo)
Old 10th December 2010
I try to find a record that's in the bag of the project, so there is no 1-10 cd's.
I will say "Shelter Me" by Richard Page sounds amazing
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

Depends on style but

Back in Black - AC/DC

Achtung Baby - U2

Dookie - Greenday

Kick - INXS

Urban Hymns - The Verve

Meteora - Linkin Park

Rock Steady - No Doubt

Appetite For Destruction - GNR

The Way I See It - Rafael Saadiq

Mi Sangre - Juanes
Old 10th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Nickelback-Someone that your with.

That song is loud, punchy, and sounds good on all my reference systems.
Old 10th December 2010
Mustasch - Double Nature heh
Old 10th December 2010
Here for the gear

Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k
Tool's Aenema for hard-hitting and tight.

STP's Purple for loose and fat.

Catherine Wheel's Adam & Eve for washy and organic.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

Like others have said, it depends on the particular type of Rock, but I often find myself checking against Foo Fighters or Siamese Dream. Also, recently I checked against a Paramore CD
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

For classic rock I'd go with the newer AC/DC albums.
Old 11th December 2010
I will second Achtung Baby. That one speaks to me. The Joshua Tree even more so for the content, but the production on Achtung Baby is stuipdly nice in a not nice sort of way, and the songs are almost as good, some as good.

Mellon Collie definitely a favorite production orgy of mine in the rock genre. I need to get Siamese Dream considering how many people reference it.

Some of the Nick Drake albums are pretty amazing, particularly for the time, for that sort of acoustic guitar driven + atmosphere type of genre. I recently purchased Five Leaves left and put it on and just sat there with my eyes closed the whole way through, which is rare. Oops, forgot we were talking about Rock. Sorry.
Old 11th December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
Lateralus
Aja
Rage Against The Macine ST
Grace
Kid A
What? How...but...

Yeah I use the same albums. Plus Effloresce by Oceansize, Secret World Live by Peter Gabriel (as i think its just one of the best recordings ever done)
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

currently using the new Alice in Chains for a rock reference...
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity_Sound View Post
Hi all, after the strength of my previous reference thread ..What are your reference tracks for Pop Mixing? - Gearslutz.com .. here goes the next.

What are your reference tracks for Rock.

Begin, and lets try not to talk about audio gear!...please Reference Slutz.

A good starter from the top of my head for Rock. Is AC/DC Black on Black.. That shxt sounds better "sonic wise" than any Metallica stuff I ever heard. And its old as hell. But still kicks most rock mixes to the curb. Goes to show you how hard it is for most to get a good sounding "rock" mix.
Old 11th December 2010
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Mustasch - Double Nature heh
thumbsupthumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search