The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KM184 - buy 2 seperate mics for stereo pair? Condenser Microphones
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Nut

Neumann KM184 - buy 2 seperate mics for stereo pair?

hi - a question regarding these mics - is it compatible to buy two of these from different sources and use them a s a stereo pair or do they need to be bought as an actual pair?

Just, I can get two seperate ones fro cheaper than a stereo pair.

help appreciated,

Ross
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

I wouldn't care...

There are always purists who want matched pairs, but for me it isn't necessary.
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Addict

I understand with mics like Beyer for example you can get two mics, and you know they are so stringent on quality control, that their frequency responses will be extremely similar. So you could go out and buy two Beyers of the same model, and be assured you are getting two mics you can and will use together.

I am not a Neumann user so I cannot say for sure. However, their reputation for making some of the finest microphones in history suggests to me that you could do this, without any major downfalls. It would not be ideal, but if you save a few hundred bucks in the process, then you could justify it.

A Neumann user could step in to say for sure though. I have been eyeing up a stereo pair of these recently actually. I saw a b-stock pair for £750 which isn't bad.
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear
I wouldn't think it would matter much. Maybe for classical. Neumanns are quite consistent.

I always wonder how long matched pairs stay matched for anyway.
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

I might want to add that I have 5 KM84's, none of which are matched and they are all interchangeable.. pretty consistent
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossnuk View Post
hi - a question regarding these mics - is it compatible to buy two of these from different sources and use them a s a stereo pair or do they need to be bought as an actual pair?

Just, I can get two seperate ones fro cheaper than a stereo pair.
I would say - yes, no problem.

Neumann QC is very tight and two random samples are likely to be much better matched than most matched pairs from lesser manufacturers.

I did read on a forum (either here or SOS) that someone working for a broadcaster had to check 50 new TLM 103s that they had bought. The difference between the "best" and "worst" was only 0.5dB - matched pairs are normally done to 1dB or 1.5dB (depending on manufacturer).
Old 4th December 2010
member no 666

The only advantage to buying a pair is that you can get them in a bo that holds two microphones [I know that box is / was available in the US, not sure about the Neumann's "ROW" [Rest Of World] distribution]. I don't know why you would want to buy two from separate places, but if that's what you want to do it shouldn't be a problem.

Now -- if you're thinking about buying one used and buying another one new there might be an issue as you have no real idea how the used one was really treated or cared for -- but if you're thinking about getting them new - performance wise not a struggle - resale wise, you probably won't have sequential serial numbers [and while "resale" has never meant a damn thing to me as I never plan on selling anything that I buy, I know it seems to mean a while lot to many of the members of this congregation].

Peace.
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

Neumann mics are all matched within 2 db (obviously closer as an earlier poster pointed out) The idea is that at any time you can buy more mics and have them match.
I would have to agree with Fletcher though, if you are buying anew KM184 and one that was used to record rocket lift-off's you could have a problem
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

Neumann KM184 - buy 2 seperate mics for stereo pair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron H
one that was used to record rocket lift-off's you could have a problem
Km184's make rocket lift-off's sound harsh and brittle.. Better use a ribbon with a pop filter!
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

Haha. Agree with Mr. Mac. 184s are usable but tend toward harshness.

Pay a little more for M300s or KM69s and feel the love.

To echo Fletcher: As long as mics are new, don't worry about getting a matched pair.
Old 5th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I don't mean to kidnap this thread but may I ask if this is also true for AKG 451's ?

I have one and just bought a second one...
Old 5th December 2010
member no 666

Unless I missed a memo - 451's haven't been made in like 20 - 25 years. I suppose if you somehow found two in unopened boxes [and they were stored in the same conditions] the same would apply -- but other than that - its a crap shoot.

If I did miss a memo and they did start to make them again then yeah - their manufacturing tolerances will be fine and you shouldn't have a worry.

Peace.
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Unless I missed a memo - 451's haven't been made in like 20 - 25 years. I suppose if you somehow found two in unopened boxes [and they were stored in the same conditions] the same would apply -- but other than that - its a crap shoot.

If I did miss a memo and they did start to make them again then yeah - their manufacturing tolerances will be fine and you shouldn't have a worry.

Peace.
AKG makes a C451 "B" now

fixed capsule, electret, transformerless; all hiding in the letter B
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I don't know if Neumann actually matches the mikes, but I don't think they go out of their way to have sequential serial numbers, at least mine bought as a pair are off by like 10 numbers, no biggie.

Quote:
The only advantage to buying a pair is that you can get them in a bo that holds two microphones [I know that box is / was available in the US, not sure about the Neumann's "ROW" [Rest Of World] distribution]. I don't know why you would want to buy two from separate places, but if that's what you want to do it shouldn't be a problem.

Now -- if you're thinking about buying one used and buying another one new there might be an issue as you have no real idea how the used one was really treated or cared for -- but if you're thinking about getting them new - performance wise not a struggle - resale wise, you probably won't have sequential serial numbers [and while "resale" has never meant a damn thing to me as I never plan on selling anything that I buy, I know it seems to mean a while lot to many of the members of this congregation].

Peace.
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Peace.
AKG C 451 B, sorry for not having posted the whole name.

Are they going to work fine in OH pair or X/Y ?
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

One of the things you pay VERY dearly for at Neumann is their quality control. Any 2 184 mics in good condition should sound the same. My 2 sound identical even though I did not buy them as a matched pair. I also have a pair of vintage KM 74 mics which I bought from different dealers at different times, with serial numbers not close to each other, and they sound EXACTLY the same. The only reason one 184 would sound different than another one would be if one was in bad condition.
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Haha. Agree with Mr. Mac. 184s are usable but tend toward harshness.

Pay a little more for M300s or KM69s and feel the love.

To echo Fletcher: As long as mics are new, don't worry about getting a matched pair.
Or pay a little less and get a pair of Beyer MC930.

Also, I'm the camp with those who don't worry about matching pairs. I have a lot of microphone pairs but none are matched. Even one pair which are fairly different from one another are easily tamed with very little eq
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

FWIW,

Two non-matched KM184´s at my place...could not tell them apart, even with a gun to my head....

Stein Tore
Old 9th March 2016
Here for the gear

2 non matched at my place. Can cleary tell the difference.
Old 9th March 2016
Here for the gear

2 non matched km184 here. Sad to say non matched. Side question. Phase of microphones were almost perfect last night but all i heard was thinning of tone when flipped out of phase. Neumann says for (at max) 450 they will retune the mics the factory specs. One is dark with great low end, the other is the opposite. Keep or repair???.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search