The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSX-100 vs PSX-100SE
Old 18th August 2002
Lives for gear

PSX-100 vs PSX-100SE

Anyone find a great improvement between the two?

Thanks
Imagine
Old 18th August 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

The SE sounds smoother in the high-mids, tighter, and more expensive. The regular version sounds crunchier, less defined, and cheaper. Or something like that to me. YMMV.
Old 18th August 2002
Lives for gear

Jon,

Some people have said there's not much a difference between the two, and wasn't worth spending the xtra thousand or so to upgrade. Did it affect the lower end any?

Thx
Imagine
Old 18th August 2002
Lives for gear

As I understand it, the SE has an upgraded (lots of hand picked components) analog board with higher quality bi-FET opamps. It's also got a filter on the power supply to clear up the AC. The D/A section also has a new third-order Bessel filter which sounds a crapload better on D to A apps. There's a much better imaging & sharpness. Considering how important the A/D is if you print to dig, I'd recomend it. (or the upgrade if you have a regular unit) Anyone try the 8000se over the regular unit?
Old 18th August 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

The low end is more defined and tight. It is worth it IMO if you are using the PSX as converters for your mixdown to 2-track.

I believe that Apogee have a special promo right now on SE upgrades...$500 for an AD8000, for example. Check their website or send them an email.
Old 18th August 2002
Lives for gear

I believe that Apogee have a special promo right now on SE upgrades...

Jon, thanks for the tip...

Imagine
Old 18th August 2002
Lives for gear

Jon, If you can direct me to the link concerning the SE special for $500, I would truly appreciate it. I can't see it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Imagine
Old 18th August 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Attention Apogee family members:

We are offering a very special upgrade price on the 8DA-SE 8-channel option card directly from Apogee for current registered AD-8000 owners.

For a limited time, Apogee will take back your existing 8-DA card and upgrade it to the latest and greatest Special Edition D/A for $549.00, a savings of $1046.00 off the retail price. This offer is good through August 31st while supplies last so act quickly.

For more information, please contact Gary Brenner at 310****5-1000 x16 or you can email us at [email protected]

Hope this helps.

Jon
Old 18th August 2002
Lives for gear

Thank you my good man...

It's appreciated.
Imagine
Old 18th August 2002
Lives for gear

I wonder if the same goes for the PSX.
Old 18th August 2002
Lives for gear

That would be great. The current upgrade price is $995.
Old 19th August 2002
Gear Addict

the upgrade is attractive for AD8000 owners...i am tempted to this deal...but...it sounds to me they are pushing out their stocks out and getting ready for the new ADxxxx which will support high sampling rates just like the Trak2.

i think i will hold on to my AD8000 for few more months...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search