The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Ref C or U87ai
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

I rarely use any eq on my vocal tracks using my Manley RefC. The vocal pretty much sits correctly right away and I just dial in my tone using compression.
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
Hey there Beau! I have a Telefunken 12AX7 in my RefC and it has been the best tube I have found for the mic and I tried a LOT of vintage tubes in it. That bring said, I really couldn't be sure if it is the same as what they are selling on their site. But no, you don't need to spend $400 on a 12AX7 for the RefC.
Hey Stephan (if that is you)! Thanks for your advice, I think I'll have to consider the Manley route. Have you had much experience with the U87 for lead vocal in your mixes at all? Hope you've been well
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

I have been well and I hope you have been also! I found the U87 to be pretty nasal, but people can get good results with anything if the chain is dialed in. I can't recommend the Manley enough. I've been using it for over 9 years and I never even think about getting another vocal mic. Even in all of my years using other high end vocal mics, I never preferred them to my RefC. It pairs very nicely with my A-Designs P1 and my early serial number Empirical Labs Fatso.
Old 2nd June 2014
Gear Addict
IMHO, with the needs you've described thus far you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't seriously consider a Manley Reference Gold. Nice, "just right", air-ey, open, top end, great lows and low mids. However, it is not the same mic as the Manley Reference. For my purposes, it has what the Reference is missing. Although I still think the Reference is a great mic for the right application/s.

Tom
Old 2nd June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Agree about the Sony! But I would take the Manley over the U87. It's like having a nasal, boxy timbre (in the 87) next to a refreshing, smooth sound (from the RefC).
You may not need to know this, or already are aware... but I'll use your post as catalyst for one comment regarding a U87.

"Hang" a U87 and you can be guaranteed it'll disproportionately pick up sound emanating from the upper sinuses (nose and cheek area).

"Point" a U87 upwards and have the singer sing 'across' it with it slightly angled back (2º to 5º) and it'll be open and clear sounding.
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
You may not need to know this, or already are aware... but I'll use your post as catalyst for one comment regarding a U87.

"Hang" a U87 and you can be guaranteed it'll disproportionately pick up sound emanating from the upper sinuses (nose and cheek area).

"Point" a U87 upwards and have the singer sing 'across' it with it slightly angled back (2º to 5º) and it'll be open and clear sounding.
Ward,
Very interesting!!!
Throughout the years that I've used it (or rather, preferred something else), can't exactly remember if it was hanging (from a boom) or "straight" (sort of) on a stand.

I'm now wondering if this applies to other mics. I've used all sorts of mics both ways & can't really pinpoint such a sonic difference.

Why does the U89 (or TLM170) always sound consistent (great & not nasal - BTW, that's the Neumann that should have the popularity the 87 has come to
attain) wether hanging or pointed?

Thanks,
Ariel
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ward,
Very interesting!!!
Throughout the years that I've used it (or rather, preferred something else), can't exactly remember if it was hanging (from a boom) or "straight" (sort of) on a stand.

I'm now wondering if this applies to other mics. I've used all sorts of mics both ways & can't really pinpoint such a sonic difference.

Why does the U89 (or TLM170) always sound consistent (great & not nasal - BTW, that's the Neumann that should have the popularity the 87 has come to

Thanks,
Ariel
So if you point it up you tilt it back- why couldn't you do that from the hanging position, that is, the same angle?
Old 3rd June 2014
Quote:
Ward,
Very interesting!!!

Thanks,
Ariel
The U87 is much more mid forward than the U89 and TLM170 and thus more prone to exaggerrating the nasal effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejbill View Post
So if you point it up you tilt it back- why couldn't you do that from the hanging position, that is, the same angle?
Body of mic aimed at face versus body of mic aimed at chest. Try both and tell me if you notice a difference.
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Completely agree regarding Manley vocals having to be Eq'd a lot to sit in the mix. I have a vintage U87 and owned a Ref C for a very short period of time. I was super delighted to sell/trade it. I have used the 87ai as well. I got the Ref C as a go-to before I got the U87, whilst I had my main go-to in a Sony C800G. Can't compare the Sony with these mics, but I stand by U87ai for versatility and less drama. Ref C looks way cool and comes with that 'Max' and Ke$ha used it..lol
I surely can't agree with this. I have use the use the U87ai on multiple occasions and as versatile as it is, it is no Ref C.
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

Love my Ref C. Blindly picked up a U87ai prior to it, sold it after just a few months and used that to fund my Ref C and I couldn't be happier. U87 just wasn't for me, although it is a good mic to have in the mic locker - so I might just end up with another one eventually down the road. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post

This is an excellent tip. I happened to read it as I stumbled over this picture:

Manley Ref C or U87ai-p0208mws.jpg
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

I'll try this but it would seem that in the position in the picture that the capsule
is pointed at the nose and face, but I'll try it and see
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
I'll try this but it would seem that in the position in the picture that the capsule
is pointed at the nose and face, but I'll try it and see
Yes, I'm not sure if this is exactly what Ward Pike had in mind, but it's a good reminder of how positioning can alter sound. IMHO, the lust for new gear - when one already owns decent gear - is sometimes born out of a lack of experimentation / knowledge of what one's equipment is already capable of.

This sounds somewhat essayistic - I apologise.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

So Ward Pike does the picture actually depict the mic position you were describing?
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear
You will love the Manley.
Old 22nd September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
So Ward Pike does the picture actually depict the mic position you were describing?
Bump
Old 3rd February 2017
Here for the gear

New song all vocals done with a Manley Ref C https://soundcloud.com/dannyandalex/laundry
Old 18th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyandAlex View Post
New song all vocals done with a Manley Ref C https://soundcloud.com/dannyandalex/laundry
Sounds great. What pre were you using on vocals ?
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

U87 shoot outs against 7 other mics

We have the U87 up against a lot of different mics and genres

Here's a link to female vox but there are many others

Enjoy.

http://www.themicsite.com/83-ldc-on-female-vocals/
Old 22nd April 2017
The Manley Ref is my favorite modern sounding tube mic.
Old 23rd April 2017
Here for the gear
Hello to all!

A very High Profile Grammy Award Winner Platinum Recording Artist in the Latin Urban Pop Scene, choose the Roswell Pro Audio Delphos against these two mics, 2 weeks ago, in a recording session... Delphos is $899.99.....

Another friend, Grammy Award Winner Artist, Songwriter and Producer, chooses the Delphos against a 19K Brauner, last week

Just saying...

Bless!

Richie_

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search