The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mil-Media AD-596 vs. Burl Audio Mothership
Old 22nd November 2010

Mil-Media AD-596 vs. Burl Audio Mothership

Millennia HV-3D

vs.
B80 Mothership | burlaudio.com
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

I think the Millennia would scratch the nice green Burl with it's sharp corners. Then in Round 2, the Burl would sit on the Millennia. Game over.

Oh, it's a mothership. In that case it would land on the Millennia. Then Bootsy Collins comes out and kicks ass.
Old 22nd November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
I think the Millennia would scratch the nice green Burl with it's sharp corners. Then in Round 2, the Burl would sit on the Millennia. Game over.

Oh, it's a mothership. In that case it would land on the Millennia. Then Bootsy Collins comes out and kicks ass.
ummm...
becouse of the API rack power limitations...
AD-596 was designed with 90% efficiency 130mA 16vdc.
Millennia Music & Media AD-596: 500 Series Analog-To-Digital Converter Introduced At AES 2010 (Video) | Gearwire
http://www.gearwire.com/millennia-me...re-129aes.html

Millenia say jitter specs are 50ps intrinsic.. "at the crystal"
Gr!mm audio cc1 say 0.5ps "at the output"
BLA MicroClock Mk2 say 1ps intrinsic, 10ps accumulated "at the output".
Burl say... does not need an external clock.

Mil Media AD-596 $1500usd.
API compatible 2 space rack $300-500usd.
6 space rack $500usd.
10 space rack $800-900usd.
$1800usd. minium. 8channel AD.

Burl Mothership rack $2500usd.
+ BAD4 + BAD4
$1400usd. x2
= $5300usd. for 8 channel AD.
$3900usd. minium for 4channel AD.

Millenia its limited to 96Khz (deal breaker for some)
Burl 192khz.

Millenia has no DA.
Burl has DA.

Millenia say 80channels AD converter in 3u space rack.
Burl say 10 space slots with 2,4 or 8 AD or DA cards.

Millenia say... Exquisit sound.
Burl M say... same sound as ADC.
ADC say..."the studer of digital"

Millenia has AES/EBU with Tascam pin out
Burl say... BAES card available 2011, but protools hd now.

Millenia say power quality its very important.
Burl say power supply is 250 watt continuous, +/- 24 volt rails, a multi-channel AD/DA converter is finally getting the power it deserves.

A-Desing Audio 500HR say 140mA @ 16VDC. Not all 500 Series units will work with this unit.
Old 1st March 2011
Here for the gear

Not to practice thread nercromancy, but I had a question that fits this thread perfectly I think.

Question being: As I understand it, the Burl Mothership is incompatible with regular 500 series units. Does anyone know if there's anything in the pipeline at Burl to allow 500 series units in their racks or to somehow make them compatible?

I'm in the process of planning out my studio's gear list and if there is currently or will be later a method of mounting 500 units in the mothership then I'd go ahead and get the m-ship, but if not then I guess I'll be spending some extra money to get up to the D/A channel count I need.

Anyone could shed some light would be much appreciated.

Jon
Old 1st March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Not to practice thread nercromancy, but I had a question that fits this thread perfectly I think.

Question being: As I understand it, the Burl Mothership is incompatible with regular 500 series units. Does anyone know if there's anything in the pipeline at Burl to allow 500 series units in their racks or to somehow make them compatible?

I'm in the process of planning out my studio's gear list and if there is currently or will be later a method of mounting 500 units in the mothership then I'd go ahead and get the m-ship, but if not then I guess I'll be spending some extra money to get up to the D/A channel count I need.

Anyone could shed some light would be much appreciated.

Jon
Hey Jon -

You should get a rack of Burl B1's with some clean Line Pads for mixing through them with anything else.

You will thank me.

But, bro - the B80 rig seems like it is from another planet that doesn't seem like its heard of the 500 series, ya know?????? Its not the same tech, we ain't in the same format......
Old 1st March 2011
Here for the gear

Heh, perhaps the M-ship is what the 500VPR wants to be when it grows up..

I'm definitely leaning towards the Burl, but it's just peeving me that I would need not just the API rack and older stuff that is a few years old but on top of that the mothership which aint cheap (although it is WAY cheap compared to 40 Bomber A/D or D/A units) AND then a tonelux rack as well for their yummy pres, comps, EQs, and summing. Perhaps its my time spent using and working on open source software but I must admit to irrational frustration with all the various competing rack 'solutions'.

Cheers!
Old 27th June 2011
Here for the gear

Mil-Media AD-596: Who will buy?

The thing that puzzles me about the AD-596 is the question of who is going to buy it. In other words, how many people have eight AES inputs coming into their DAW these days? I suppose you might be okay if you have a digital board that has different format I/O card options. Still, it seems that ADAT lightpipe or USB 2.0 might be more universally applicable to the DAW world right now.
Old 27th June 2011
The Burl uses a ??? chipset while the MM uses a ??? chipset?
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyo View Post
The thing that puzzles me about the AD-596 is the question of who is going to buy it. In other words, how many people have eight AES inputs coming into their DAW these days? I suppose you might be okay if you have a digital board that has different format I/O card options. Still, it seems that ADAT lightpipe or USB 2.0 might be more universally applicable to the DAW world right now.
You wonder how many need 8 channels of conversion....but dont wonder who needs 24x32?
Old 27th June 2011
Here for the gear

A Question of Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
You wonder how many need 8 channels of conversion....but dont wonder who needs 24x32?
Mike, I'm not sure where you're getting the thought that I'm questioning who might need 8 channels of conversion; in fact, I could use 8 high quality, reasonably priced, channels of conversion myself! What I am questioning is the choice of output format. I think the largest pool of consumers who are looking for A to D conversion these days are unquestionably DAW users. That being said, I think there are better, more ubiquitous, formats that one could choose for DAW interfacing such as the two formats I mentioned in the original post.

If someone is actually looking for an AES interface, I think that's great for her, but having worked for two well known recording equipment manufacturers I guess I'm always looking at things from the perspective of how many people will this work for?
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Addict
Having to go lunchbox for travel I stumbled on this thread (already a few years old) to see if there are any choices for 500 series A/D conversion.
Seems like a product that has a market ...any news of other makers?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search