The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADAM S3X-H owners: does yours rattle? Studio Monitors
Old 25th September 2013
Lives for gear

Reposting here...

I own the S1X and I have similar issues. I've noticed rattle on one of my two monitors.

Heat dissipation is an issue with the S1X because they don't have a proper outboard heatsink, which means that the backplate gets very hot sometimes to the point I cannot hold my hand to it, with thermal shutdown ensuing many times this past summer on one of my S1X. The heat has also cased the plastic coating to peel off severely at the back, although Adam told me that they have fixed this in later revisions of the monitor and it's covered by warranty anyway.

The woofer cone has some sort of a sticky coating and dust clings to it. Afterwards it is impossible to wipe it off. Adam told me the sticky coating is normal, but I think it's bullsh*t.

Out of 4 bass ports two have become loose (I can move it around with my finger).

I can also see some fluffy fibrous material when I look into the bass port. The shape, disposition and amount of material looks randomly different in each monitor, so I wonder if this would cause each monitor to sound different.

One of the cabinets was incorrectly assembled upside-down. It is very obvious because on one monitor the seam of the outer plastic coating is at the top, while on the other it's at the bottom. No biggie but certainly annoying for such an expensive product.

If I were looking for durable monitors I'd be looking at Genelecs. These are built like a tank. The body of the monitor is made of metal and is designed to act as a heatsink. Unfortunately Adam monitors sound much better in my opinion.

So basically, as far as my S1Xs are concerned, they sound amazing but build quality is embarrassingly sloppy.
Old 28th September 2013
Very interesting thread, glad Adam have sorted the issue to some degree. I have bashed Adam monitors in the past as I used 8040's daily and was used to the low end response, I just couldn't get used to my Adam p11s. I remember giving up on the p11s cause they farted when I used them to track bass! Sounds like the same thing ya!
After using quested the last while I'm not so used to the in your face bass of genelec and I must say the p11's sound fantastic i can appreciate them now, I've had them since 2007 always using them for non critical stuff.
Adam speakers look amazing (it does count) sound great and seem designed for engineers who want a razor sharp tool for making decisions, but I'm back in front of 8040's for surround mixing cause they are trustworthy, never go wrong. I would rather have s3x or at least a77x which seem great value but after comparing (in a bad shop environment) a7x (sounded great very balanced) to the a5x side by side the a5x seemed muddy by comparison, f5 and f7 also very different f5 clearly a better speaker, my p11 and a friends p22 they could not be more different, Adam don't do bass it would seem to me as every speakers low end seems completely different. I think it is fair to judge Adam on the F,Ax and P series speakers I've never heard the s range at all, so shouldn't really post on this at all, but Adam are a company I want to like, but as yet still unsure of!
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

I find it funny that years ago I've bought A8X, returned them because of the ridiculous port noise, then got S1X, which farted even more and at a higher frequency (=even more annoying) and most people here said, their ADAMs are perfectly fine, no port noise at all and I must abusing them to get port noise :P

I would have never bought ADAMs again because of that design failure, but I got P11As pretty cheap so I went for them.
While they also have inacceptable port noise in stock form, I use them in a sealed configuration now (ports closed) in combination with two 8" subwoofers beside them crossing at ~100Hz. No more farting and lower bass extension. win-win.

So this might be a (pricy) solution for people trying to get completely rid of port noise.
Close the ports - get 2 subs.
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
I find it funny that years ago I've bought A8X, returned them because of the ridiculous port noise, then got S1X, which farted even more and at a higher frequency (=even more annoying) and most people here said, their ADAMs are perfectly fine, no port noise at all and I must abusing them to get port noise :P

I would have never bought ADAMs again because of that design failure, but I got P11As pretty cheap so I went for them.
While they also have inacceptable port noise in stock form, I use them in a sealed configuration now (ports closed) in combination with two 8" subwoofers beside them crossing at ~100Hz. No more farting and lower bass extension. win-win.

So this might be a (pricy) solution for people trying to get completely rid of port noise.
Close the ports - get 2 subs.
Port noise issue was with very early models and fixed many moons ago with a flange etc (Which adam fixed promptly) If you get it now your very unlucky to get very old stock. But it was an issue at first for some people (But not the majority)
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Addict

I received my Adam S3XH two months ago and they perfectly do the job... :-)
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Head

Is it possible to get this new ports for Adam S3A, cause they got the same problem like all other Adam monitors (A7X, A8X, A77X, S3X, S3A)??
Old 7th September 2014
Here for the gear

Hi all! Was the port noise issue fixed for S2X too? I was thinking about buying them, but I keep reading about this rattle noise issue on reviews.
You think that this monitors would benefit of a Sub (to get rid of the rattle and to have a fuller range)?
Old 7th September 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by machines View Post
Hi all! Was the port noise issue fixed for S2X too? I was thinking about buying them, but I keep reading about this rattle noise issue on reviews.
You think that this monitors would benefit of a Sub (to get rid of the rattle and to have a fuller range)?
Yes was fixed on the S2X also.
Old 7th September 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Yes was fixed on the S2X also.
Thanks ECM, I'm actually still on the fence between S2X and S3X-H
Old 8th September 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by machines View Post
Thanks ECM, I'm actually still on the fence between S2X and S3X-H
Depends on space/room. If not an issue than S3X. (V's are fine and more suited to some rooms than H)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search