The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Mini Mixer ...how good? Dynamics Plugins
Old 12th January 2006
Gear Addict

Chandler Mini Mixer ...how good?

I love all the Chandler stuff and was pretty much decided on trading in my MixDream and going with the Mini Mixer after reading some reviews and getting feed-back from a couple of pretty respected producer/engineers .... now I've been reading some conflicting stuff that says it might be a tad soft and muffled sounding .... how many of you out there who do mainly guitar oriented music use the Mini Mixer and how does it compare to the mix dream?... problem is there is knowwhere in Toronto that I know of where I can check one out , so I pretty much have to commit and order it
Old 12th January 2006
member no 666

If you'd like to A/B the two please feel free to get in the car and drop by... bring your own files; we have facilities where you can A/B the two next to each other.

The directions are pretty easy... go to Buffalo, turn left onto I-90 follow that East to I-95 South. Take 95 South to Exit 8... top of the ramp turn Right, at the flashing yellow turn left... go to the end of that street and turn left... your 3rd right will be Morse St... follow that like 2 miles until you see a pair of duck ponds and a red brick "mill building"... and you're there.

Call ahead so you won't have waste time while we patch the snakes between the two mixers.
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

Doogie, while you are at it, can you ...

A) Pick up my dry cleaning in Albany.
B) Pick up the Stanley Cup for a road tour..

Thanks..

Old 12th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
If you'd like to A/B the two please feel free to get in the car and drop by... bring your own files; we have facilities where you can A/B the two next to each other.

The directions are pretty easy... go to Buffalo, turn left onto I-90 follow that East to I-95 South. Take 95 South to Exit 8... top of the ramp turn Right, at the flashing yellow turn left... go to the end of that street and turn left... your 3rd right will be Morse St... follow that like 2 miles until you see a pair of duck ponds and a red brick "mill building"... and you're there.

Call ahead so you won't have waste time while we patch the snakes between the two mixers.
Fletcher thanks for the offer , I'm not sure if I can get down there , ... Didn't know there was a Mercenary store in Buffalo ... maybe on Saturday ... is the one there for sale? and could I bring my Mixdream in to trade?
Old 12th January 2006
member no 666

There isn't a store in Buffalo... but Buffalo is directly on the route to Foxboro, MA.

If you want to A/B them we'll be happy to set it up [we have the capability to do so]... I was pretty much joking about "dropping by" as it's like an 8-10 hour drive... oh, and there is no way in hell we're ever open on a Saturday.

However, if you do decide to shoot by I'm sure Heyman would be damn appreciative if you'd pick up his dry cleaning in Albany on your way through heh
Old 12th January 2006

Does anyone remember the old Saturday Night Live skit where it's a game show and the contestants have to give directions in Boston (Adam Sandler). It just reminded me of that...lol

Fletcher, you coming to NAMM?
Old 12th January 2006
member no 666

NAMM?

Hell no

I won't go!!!
Old 12th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie
I love all the Chandler stuff and was pretty much decided on trading in my MixDream and going with the Mini Mixer after reading some reviews and getting feed-back from a couple of pretty respected producer/engineers .... now I've been reading some conflicting stuff that says it might be a tad soft and muffled sounding .... how many of you out there who do mainly guitar oriented music use the Mini Mixer and how does it compare to the mix dream?... problem is there is knowwhere in Toronto that I know of where I can check one out , so I pretty much have to commit and order it
I've heard those same criticisms from people who;ve never actually heard the mixer. one of the first criticisms I heard was about it sounding distorted. This was before any had shipped from the factory - before Beinhorn got his pair, which was long before anyone else had a hold of one.

Yet another friend who's planning on dumping his Neve console for a summing mixer was explaining to me how the mini mixer drops the volume as it sums and has to get boosted back up before the output stage (like the Folcrom which you connect to a preamp). What's comical, is this is teh definition of passive style summing and the way his Neve console works!

Anyway, I've noticed more misinformation about the mini mixer than other boxes.

It sounds great, and soft and muffled are not words I'd use to describe it.
Old 12th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
I've heard those same criticisms from people who;ve never actually heard the mixer. one of the first criticisms I heard was about it sounding distorted. This was before any had shipped from the factory - before Beinhorn got his pair, which was long before anyone else had a hold of one.

Yet another friend who's planning on dumping his Neve console for a summing mixer was explaining to me how the mini mixer drops the volume as it sums and has to get boosted back up before the output stage (like the Folcrom which you connect to a preamp). What's comical, is this is teh definition of passive style summing and the way his Neve console works!

Anyway, I've noticed more misinformation about the mini mixer than other boxes.

It sounds great, and soft and muffled are not words I'd use to describe it.

thanks Mike ... I just ordered it
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

Doogie, please give us your honest review of the mixer once you have had a chance to put it through its paces..

Thanks!
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Doggie ... you live in T.O.? me too ... too bad I didn't know about you wanting one sooner ... you could have stopped by and checked it out. I owned it for about 4-5 months and decided to trade it in a couple weeks ago ... I found it to sound very nice, smooth etc ... great for something like rock etc ... but, since I do electronic stuff, it lacked the mid presence that I was hoping for. After talking to Mike at Vintage King (4 hour drive) I traded in for an API setup and extremely pleased with the results. For me, the API sounds more 'alive' and out of the speaker as apposed to the Chandler that sounded more 'stuck' in the speaker. The API has proven to better feature wise as well.

As a note, Wade at Chandler is great. I had some issues when I first purchased the board, but they were quickly fixed by shipping me a new mixer overnight. Excellent service.
Old 13th January 2006
Lives for gear
I was just wondering if you guys are using the mixer more like a fulcrom and just keeping all of the channels at unity or if you are keeping your outputs at unity and using the chandler like a console.
Old 13th January 2006
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie
... problem is there is knowwhere in Toronto that I know of where I can check one out
Did you try Pro Audio Canada ? They are based in Toronto.
I bought my TG1 and TG Channels from them. They delivered the gear literally to my door.
Here's a link .
Old 13th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss
Did you try Pro Audio Canada ? They are based in Toronto.
I bought my TG1 and TG Channels from them. They delivered the gear literally to my door.
Here's a link .

thanks it's good to know they exist ... I'll post some impressions when I get this thing
Old 13th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman
Doogie, please give us your honest review of the mixer once you have had a chance to put it through its paces..

Thanks!

heyman ... yea I'll let you know what I think after a week or 2
Old 13th January 2006
Gear Addict

hope nobody thinks I don't think alot of the SPL stuff ... I think the Mixdream was a big step up from ITB but I still want a little more analog heft ... without mucking around with too much saturation simulation stuff
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar
I was just wondering if you guys are using the mixer more like a fulcrom and just keeping all of the channels at unity or if you are keeping your outputs at unity and using the chandler like a console.

hey would really like some feed-back on this one .... also anymore users out there who have opinions on the mixer as well , I would like to hear from

thanks
Old 14th January 2006
Gear Head

Quote:

We usually use our Chandler at unity, with all channels panned hard except 1&2 for lead Vox and bass. Haven't done a lot of experimenting with using it more as a traditional console for level and pan controls. I think it really depends on how important recall is for you. For us, it has to be easy to go between songs and projects and have everything come up without a lot of fiddling.

The Chandler Mini mixer is really a great, great thing. It seems to have a sweet spot, as far as, the levels you are running into it, as well as, the master output level. We have to use about 10db of gain on the output of the SSL quad comp to get the mix level where we need it, but that may just be how our studio is setup.

Andy
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

more
how about the sound ?
Close to vintage Neve sound ?
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

bump
Old 21st August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
more
how about the sound ?
Close to vintage Neve sound ?

The Mini Rack Mixer, as far as I understand,
has Eight TG-2 Line Blocks before its summing amps. Each channel has an input and output transformer.
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The Mini Rack Mixer, as far as I understand,
has Eight TG-2 Line Blocks before its summing amps. Each channel has an input and output transformer.
thank you, that looks promissing, considering the positive feedback the tg2 already has

Last edited by sergioelectro; 21st August 2015 at 07:43 PM..
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
thank you, that looks promissing, considering the positive feedback the tg2 already has

22 transformers, 20 discrete amplifiers - sounds like a large format console.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

I was more looking for a weight and round Neve sound.
So the Chandler minimixer might not be the best for me ???
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do work with Chandler, so I'm biased, but I hope this helps.

It's both weighty and fat sounding; think in terms of TG tone. Tony Maserati has used one along side his NEVE as part of his setup for a while.

Tony Maserati- “The Mini Mixer is another key element in my external bussing setup,” he notes. “I use it on almost every mix I create."

From this article

Last edited by adam_f; 12th January 2016 at 06:44 AM..
Old 23rd August 2015
Quote:
Why not patch some Neve gear into a Mini Rack and then you'll have a Neve sound AND the Chandlers sound!
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Hello,

Is the colour provided by the Chandler Mini mixer really noticebale and obious ?
Isn't better to get a TG2 and summ into the DAW as we know the improvment of the summing mixer is a really discuted topic .
Thks for your help
Regards
Old 6th October 2015
Quote:
Hello,

Is the colour provided by the Chandler Mini mixer really noticebale and obious ?
Isn't better to get a TG2 and summ into the DAW as we know the improvment of the summing mixer is a really discuted topic .
Thks for your help
Regards
Yes its very noticeable to my ears. The unit has a timeless tone to it, [sounds to me, like records I love a whole lot, its very recognizable]...each of your audio tracks are running into discrete amplifiers and transformers which imparts tons of fun.

Running a DAW mix into a TG-2 [padded down to mic level] is not even remotely as much fun as stemming out to a Mini Rack Mixer!
Old 6th October 2015
Gear Addict
Never used this one, but on looks alone, it is enough to get me drooling.
Old 14th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel View Post
Quote:

We usually use our Chandler at unity, with all channels panned hard except 1&2 for lead Vox and bass. Haven't done a lot of experimenting with using it more as a traditional console for level and pan controls. I think it really depends on how important recall is for you. For us, it has to be easy to go between songs and projects and have everything come up without a lot of fiddling.

The Chandler Mini mixer is really a great, great thing. It seems to have a sweet spot, as far as, the levels you are running into it, as well as, the master output level. We have to use about 10db of gain on the output of the SSL quad comp to get the mix level where we need it, but that may just be how our studio is setup.

Andy
Andy— you use your SSL compressor BEFORE your Mini Mixer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search