The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
vocal chain compressor upgrade Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th November 2010
Gear Maniac

vocal chain compressor upgrade

its time for a new compressor.

my main vocal chain is a Rode k2/at4047/sm7b>Great river>RNC>ad
im very happy with my signal chain by the way.

but Im looking to upgrade the weakest link. (FMR RNC)

the rnc is a good clean compressor, but want something with a little more attitude.

this is only used for tracking vocals, so no need for stereo.

i been looking at some compressor and im down to these 3:

Distressor
FMR PBC6A
GAP comp. (wait till January)

any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

for vocals I can't say enough good stuff about LA 2A or my Scott Liebers Labs 1076. Man they both sound amazing!

neither are cheap but they sound great.
Old 12th November 2010
Gear Maniac

oh man, those are both way beyond my budget for a compressor right now.
im looking for something under the 1k range.

any suggestions?
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

...if it's only for vocals and you need to keep it under $1K, don't overlook the Safe Sound P1...great 3-stage analogue compressor/expander/limiter which also has a sweet preamp (70dB)...I run my Great River thru mine, but the P1's own pre is a nice alternative to the GR...great front end for vocal tracking (that's all I do in my studio)...

...these things rarely pop up second hand, but I just saw this one a few days ago:

SAFE AUDIO P1 STUDIO COMPRESSOR EXPANDER - eBay (item 180582865955 end time Dec-03-10 12:46:41 PST)

...do some research...you won't regret it
Old 12th November 2010
Gear Maniac

wow, i just read alot of great reviews on the safe sound. i would have definitely tried it before i bought the great river. but im looking to only upgrading the compressor. unless the compressor in the safe sound alone is worth it.
Old 12th November 2010
Gear Maniac

how about the Summit Audio TLA-50?

anyone using this?
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronydarippa View Post
unless the compressor in the safe sound alone is worth it.
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

A lot of great options out there worth considering.... Trying to keep this around $1,000 but also something that you won't regret buying later, I have to say the #1 that comes to my list is the FET compressor from Geoff Daking:

Daking FET Compressor/Limiter and more Compressors & Limiters at GuitarCenter.com.

This solid-state unit can be smooth and detailed, but aggressive and in your face.... Either for tracking OR mixdown, it's one of the best I've ever used and I've used A LOT of high-end (and much more expensive) gear. The transformers used in this box are amazing, and that's a major part of the sound quality here....clean, but not sterile---some color, but not enough to change your sound. HOWEVER the controls are like driving a finely-tuned automobile, the slightest move makes all the difference.

OH I JUST WENT back and noticed your post on the TLA50----wonderful box, really the "poor man's LA2A". This is a great little tube limiter, but it is just that---a limiting amplifier. This is wonderful for tracking, but sometimes compression can be more of what is needed. However without spending a lot of money, you certainly can not go wrong here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search