The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Uses for Pendulum Audio ES-8
Old 9th November 2010
Uses for Pendulum Audio ES-8

What are your favorite uses and setting for the Pendulum Audio ES-8 (or similar compressor)?
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

I like it on back vox or tracking vox. It's also great on all types of guitars. I actually have the 6386 version but they are very similar.
Old 10th November 2010
interested as well. not that much info on this awesome machine.

Haven't had it for long: I got it sitting on a bus now, still not sure how to wire the key inputs; on an aux, or patchpoint on the bay (normalled with input). how did you wire it up? got it in a chain? or on the patchbay?

using it at the moment to process synths (Omega 8 and modular) with some verb (Sony R7), make it gel a bit, good combination, it sounds amazing. still learning, it's my first vari-µ.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Doorstop?? Kidding heh

I'd love an ES-8. An OCL-500 would be fine too .. And if I could just have an R-7, then I'd call it a trilogy
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

ES-8 is too clean for me. Yes it can add a little something to your signal, but I would rather have a GML Dynamic Control if you want a super clean compressor. OCL-2 though is a magic box.
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Guru

we threw the 6386 version up agianst the Shadow Hills,Ears,Neves,etc.
wasn't bowled over by it.levelled things ok but kinda bland and clean for my taste
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

That's actually what I like about it. If you already have a sound you like, the 6386/ES-8 levels things nicely while adding a touch of euphonic tube sweetness. It doesn't change the character of the sound. It doesn't do the smashy pumpy thing either if that's what you're looking for.

What it does very nicely is allow things to sit in the mix effortlessly. I love it on stereo sub buses -back vox, guitars, horns strings etc. I also like it when tracking an instrument that already sounds great in the recording chain and I just want some leveling (and a touch of tube) without messing with the sound too much.

If you're looking for a lot of color, pumping etc this is not the box.

BTW, Michael Brauer uses 2 of them (ES-8 and 6386) so they're obviously good for something
Old 10th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post
That's actually what I like about it. If you already have a sound you like, the 6386/ES-8 levels things nicely while adding a touch of euphonic tube sweetness. It doesn't change the character of the sound. It doesn't do the smashy pumpy thing either if that's what you're looking for.

What it does very nicely is allow things to sit in the mix effortlessly. I love it on stereo sub buses -back vox, guitars, horns strings etc. I also like it when tracking an instrument that already sounds great in the recording chain and I just want some leveling (and a touch of tube) without messing with the sound too much.

precisely - 1000% my experience
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
precisely - 1000% my experience
How different is it from the GML Dynamic Range controller in sound..character as both are very clean? What is the pros and cons compared to each other?
Old 10th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
How different is it from the GML Dynamic Range controller in sound..character as both are very clean? What is the pros and cons compared to each other?
Well, for starters - the GML 8900 doesn't have "a touch of euphonious tube sweetness" but what it does have is highly precise tune-ability that is beyond imagination and word posting. It would never really compare to an ES-8, or other VMU type units in my experience. I find it hangs out in the invisible compressor camp, while it can completely manipulate dynamics with sheer genius control and that is over and above complex. In my view this compressor would take longer to figure out how to use. Much longer. It has the ability to act like a invisible volume controller that can sculpt and craft the peak info like no other box I've tried.
Old 11th November 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post

BTW, Michael Brauer uses 2 of them (ES-8 and 6386) so they're obviously good for something
Gotch'a.
after trying both,I went with the Phoenix..now that's gone too.ha.
after a few years of trying/swapping around all types of comps I realized the Shadow Hills I've had all along pretty much covers it
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Gotch'a.
after trying both,I went with the Phoenix..now that's gone too.ha.
after a few years of trying/swapping around all types of comps I realized the Shadow Hills I've had all along pretty much covers it
Funny, I have the Phoenix too which I use when I want more color or attitude than the 6386. Maybe I should try out the Shadow Hills, although right now I'm pining for this:

Harris Audio Systems SR-71 (Fairchild 670 Clone)
Old 23rd February 2017
Its official, the Pendulum Audio ES-8 is one of my favorite clean compressors. It reduces the peaks, helps gel the music while staying out of the way. At the same time it adds a little density to the mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search