The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving faders for vca SSL consoles Control Surfaces
View Poll Results: Your word on the SSL 4000 mix computer
I love the black/green DOS enviroment. Dont touch it.
22 Votes - 22.68%
I don't need automation anyway.
3 Votes - 3.09%
I'd like a new system. With audio in the fader. Skip the vca.
25 Votes - 25.77%
Wow. This is very 2011. Your system rocks. I want it!
54 Votes - 55.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Moving faders for vca SSL consoles

I've fitted my SSL 6000G with a new automation system.
It's a modular system based on vca read/write cards. One card is controlling a bank of 8 faders.

Stripped down to a minimal it hooks up to the VCA masters in the middle. It then automates only those 8 masters. Enough for a lot of people.

I've also made a module that holds 8 motorfaders. I've got one of those where my VCA masters was before. This can emulate any bank on the console that's hooked up to an automation vca card. Very much like a control surface for a DAW, I do all my rides in the sweet spot.

The system follows midi timecode, I started out with a SMPTE/LTC reader but I canned it pretty soon. If you do it right and have a free port connected, MTC is as accurate providing the same clock frequency.

I've skipped DAW control of the faders. Why? I don't know. It doesn't appeal to me.

The interface has a simple graphic layout with rubberbands showing the rides on a timeline. Editable with a mouse/ball. Any monitor can be used, I have a 800x480 7" sitting on top of the center.

The computer is a tiny silent PC running XP. The computer plus all the hardware(less PSU) actually fits where the old CRT boulder used to be.

Anyways. This was a DIY project for my own needs. I've got a few requests to build some systems.

I don't know... I thought I'd try to get a hunch of the need out there. Since I don't have audio in my motor faders (and only 8 of them) the price for this system is very reasonable. On the other hand, it aims ONLY to SSL 4000/6000/8000 owners.

Well well... a pat on my shoulder followed by a: "Wow, you're handy, congratulations!" will do. It's actually what I'm in it for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7mAlQK49GE

Best
Pelle Gunnerfeldt
Sweden
Old 8th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle G View Post
I've fitted my SSL 6000G with a new automation system.
It's a modular system based on vca read/write cards. One card is controlling a bank of 8 faders.

Stripped down to a minimal it hooks up to the VCA masters in the middle. It then automates only those 8 masters. Enough for a lot of people.

I've also made a module that holds 8 motorfaders. I've got one of those where my VCA masters was before. This can emulate any bank on the console that's hooked up to an automation vca card. Very much like a control surface for a DAW, I do all my rides in the sweet spot.

The system follows midi timecode, I started out with a SMPTE/LTC reader but I canned it pretty soon. If you do it right and have a free port connected, MTC is as accurate providing the same clock frequency.

I've skipped DAW control of the faders. Why? I don't know. It doesn't appeal to me.

The interface has a simple graphic layout with rubberbands showing the rides on a timeline. Editable with a mouse/ball. Any monitor can be used, I have a 800x480 7" sitting on top of the center.

The computer is a tiny silent PC running XP. The computer plus all the hardware(less PSU) actually fits where the old CRT boulder used to be.

Anyways. This was a DIY project for my own needs. I've got a few requests to build some systems.

I don't know... I thought I'd try to get a hunch of the need out there. Since I don't have audio in my motor faders (and only 8 of them) the price for this system is very reasonable. On the other hand, it aims ONLY to SSL 4000/6000/8000 owners.

Well well... a pat on my shoulder followed by a: "Wow, you're handy, congratulations!" will do. It's actually what I'm in it for.

Here's a video link of an early assemble of the system
YouTube - ssl automan.mov

Best
Pelle Gunnerfeldt
Sweden
Hi Pelle,

A pat on the shoulder from me and a big thumbs up.thumbsup

I've been doing the research to do the same thing. Add me to your list of people that would be interested in this. I would have to figure out how to sync up the XP with a mac though but have some ideas.

So from the video the 8 faders would fit where on the console? On the groups? Not really sure from the video.

Again congrats.
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks,

The video is a bit old. It's from when I tested different motor faders and drivers. The panel that you see behind the monitor fits in a faderbank. If you only use one bank of motorfaders they preferably go where the vca masters are.

You just sync it with midi out of your DAW. I have a midi i/o with my HD system but I used it with a cheap midiman usb thing as well.

/Pelle
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Addict

Awesome
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

Keep me updated on the progress of your project!
Old 9th November 2010
Gear Head

i have an ssl 4040, so let me know if there's any update!
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsound View Post
I love the Avalon 737 DI on bass!
But If I use it i can't send the instrument signal to the amplifier because the avalon have not intrument link!!
I would miking my bass cabinet, and mix the avanlon DI signal and the mic signal!!!
How can I do?? It's not possible???

Thanks!!
wrong thread?!
Old 9th November 2010
Keep the good work, if your project see the light, I will be one of your customers for sure.
Old 16th November 2010
So into this.
Old 10th December 2010
Gear Head

i'd be interested in info, too.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

step 2

... ok.

I've ordered PCBs for a couple of prototypes.

I've been implementing a way to control more motor faders.
So now, if someone would want a regular system with audio in the faders it's possible without redesigning the whole thing.

I'll post some pictures/movies when I've assembled the boards.

/P
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hello. Looking forward to hearing more about your product. Thanks
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Will this system sill work with the Total Recall? Thanks for the post. I like the concept.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Keep going, looks and sounds very promising. I think on the way forward, there's no way around DAW-control.

Count me in as a supporter and let me know if there's anything I can do.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Looks good! With all the SSL consoles out there, I'm sure this would be a welcome thing to have heh
Old 24th January 2011
Pastor Obviedo
What a great idea, you will sell hundred of systems.

Everyone with an old SSL will want to avoid using the old Automation system.

Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'd be very interested in this also!
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Can you tell more about your system and cost?
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Moving faders for vca SSL consoles

My hardware is compatible with both total recall and daw control. It's just a firmware/software upgrade.
But, that has to wait. Give me 2-3 weeks and I'll be testing the new boards.
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Head

do you have any news? you are doing an amazing thing!
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Maniac

It's been new years holiday in china. So the prototype cards are delayed.
I post as soon as I've tested the new prototype.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Great work!

Great work - it was about time for someone to look into this!

Thanks and very much looking forward to any news on this.

Best,
Marc
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I have been working with a small boutique audio company and they are in the process of building a console. We would be very interested in this for our console.

Does your automation system also control mute/solo functions?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Maniac

China awakens

I've finally got some of the new PCBs. I've mostly been working on the motor driver. It's coming together though.

As usual, my time is limited and the progression is slow.

For now there's some vid's when testing the new motor fader panel.

YouTube - Motor Driver.AVI
YouTube - Touch Circuit.AVI
YouTube - LED Display.AVI

I'll post some more videos when I've mounted it in my console.

@Kronos147: The faders doesn't even have audio since they're strictly based on SSL's VCA circuitry.

I believe P&G8000 series faders could be hooked up though.
Old 14th March 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry about my ignorant question, but what would be so different having an audio fader instead being controlled the same manner?
Nice work by the way thumbsup
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Maniac

With audio

No worries.

Well, not a big difference. I guess. My project started as an upgrade to the existing SSL VCA system. Then it evolved, adding a "control surface"-like panel for a cost effective moving fader system. And there's still touch ups to be done before I can go public with it.

I would love to try with the 8000 fader but some problems could be:
Noise leakage to audio paths, expensive audio taper faders, too slow motors for recreating fast rides...

Most of all, I need TIME!!! ...regular work, the kids, what not... I started this thread to help me get whipped as well as examine the need for a system like this.
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Head

i really appreciate your work. as fast as you are ready i'll be your client!
this is a dream that comes true!!!
Old 24th March 2011
Gear Head

need any funding?
Old 24th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Funding

...funding would speed it up for sure. To be able to do it full time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search