The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Event Opal vs PMC TB2S-AII Studio Monitors
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Event Opal vs PMC TB2S-AII

Hello,

just want to know which
you preffer and why.

Thanks,
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

For mixing the PMC's offer more depth and detail. For cranking music and hearing good bass, the Opals are the one's to get. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...s-amazing.html
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Maniac

Someone else has an opinion?
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

I use opals every day with a jbl sub.
They are great for doing low bass, but I'm not really satysfied with the mid low to mid. The highs are great, the field is great.
Besides this one downside, I love them.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

I've never worked on Event Opals but I regularly use DB1S+ and TB1 speakers (PMCs) and am completely happy with how they sound once you get their placement right. My mixes improved noticably with the introduction of those speakers into my setup, and as well as sounding like very nice HiFi speakers, they're extremely tough and deal with abuse really well.

Customer service is also brilliant. I'm settled with PMC now!
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Head

I've got a pair of the Event Opals - and I LOVE them. They replaced a 12-13 year old (but very low hours) pair of Genelec 1030a's. I've heard things on the Opals in my mixes that I never heard with the Genelecs.

...and now that I've received my Studio EQ calibration mic & software & have actually had a chance to dial in the room & speakers, it's even better! Studio EQ is finally shipping now & should come free when you purchase your Opals. For those of you who are not super-happy with Opals & [insert frequency band here], I'd suggest giving them another try once you run Studio EQ. As always, YMMV...
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Addict

Since a few weeks working every day with the Opals and incredibly happy with them. Especially after setting them up with the studio EQ! Very detailed, good bass response even without a sub and honest - if it sounds bad the mix is wrong, simple as that
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Nice to get some info about the Opal. I only noticed a very few !!!

I am hesitating between those and KH 0300, or the Focal Twin.

But this new Eq correction tool on the Opal looks like a cool new feature !!

I would just like to know how you find the Opal translate ???

Thanks for sharing your experience

Regards

Sergio
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
All the pmc monitors are suppose to be good. I have never heard them.

The three near-fields I like are the K&H 0300D, the ATC 25 and the Event Opal.

The Focals are mid forward and not as neutral as the other three. The Focals rock.
The Event's are a 2 way monitor. The Twins are more forward but not too forward. It brings out all the mid range detail so you can really get a good mix on the most important area of your mixes. The Opals are very nice, but the Twins are smoother to my ears. PMC's are more detailed and offer better image han either the Twins are the Opals.
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
The Event's are a 2 way monitor. The Twins are more forward but not too forward. It brings out all the mid range detail so you can really get a good mix on the most important area of your mixes. The Opals are very nice, but the Twins are smoother to my ears. PMC's are more detailed and offer better image han either the Twins are the Opals.
So it might also depend a little bit on the style of music you're producing.

Opal might be the good thing but heavy bass music like dance or hip hop music, no ?

Regards

Sergio
Old 25th March 2011
Gear Maniac

O300, Twins, Opals and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Nice to get some info about the Opal. I only noticed a very few !!!

I am hesitating between those and KH 0300, or the Focal Twin.

But this new Eq correction tool on the Opal looks like a cool new feature !!

I would just like to know how you find the Opal translate ???

Thanks for sharing your experience

Regards

Sergio
You could consider Focal SM9 and Trident HG-3 too. They didn´t hit the market till now and I don´t know the prices but they should be in the same ballpark.
Old 25th March 2011
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of TB2Smkii since about 2 weeks. They are absolutely beautiful sounding. You'll never look back with a pair of PMC's. My mixes sound 1000% better! They cost some bucks, but they are on another level compared to Mackie HR824 or Genelec 1030! I sold all my old speakers some days after buying pmc's
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzo View Post
You could consider Focal SM9 and Trident HG-3 too. They didn´t hit the market till now and I don´t know the prices but they should be in the same ballpark.
The SM9s are definitely not in the same ballpark and cost more than twice as much as the opals. (Opal $3k/pr - SM9 $3.5k EACH). I honestly don't think there is a comparable monitor to the opal at $3500/pr or less, and if you need the volume and low end extension, there DEFINITELY aren't any (at least at any shop in Toronto).
Old 27th March 2013
Gear Head

Just to chime in I was choosing between the PMC's and the Opals and I chose the Opals.
Old 6th November 2015
Here for the gear

Billshafer1 -- That sounds EXACTLY like my scenario (used 1030a pair since 2000, still have them) - except, I'm still waiting to receive the Opals I purchased - Event has a production issue. Can you further detail the comparison? thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search