The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony I/O mic pres Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 31st October 2010
Here for the gear

Apogee Symphony I/O mic pres

hey just wondering about the mic pres in the new symphony I/O. Im looking to buy one buy but im not sure how good the pres sound. The 8 channel mic pre module is around $2000. Should i just spend the two grand on some other pres or is the 8 pres in the symphony my best bet?
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Maniac

Maybe you could specify what your needs are...then it might be easier here to help you decide if it's the best bet or not.

I'd rather go for more channels of conversion - unless you don't need them.
Personally, I haven't heard then symphony i/o Mic-Pre's but if they are somewhere in the range of the apogee ensemble mic-pre's (maybe a bit better) - they are really good and very clean but not spectacular...

That's just my opinion - I would get the mic pre's xtra - and therefor have more options to choose (tube/transistor - character/clean etc.)
Old 31st October 2010
The mic amp board has yet to ship from Apogee, so I think not many people outside their camp have used them inside the box yet. They are said to be redesigned TRAK2 amps.
Old 7th December 2010
Here for the gear

Anxious too

According to my Apogee rep the mic pre's sound amazing...I havent heard them yet either since I want a 16 Analog in with my existing 8 mic pre's I thought I could just get theirs for the other 8 since it would be used to track people with me ( I'm a session drummer) but i too have thought to just get the Analog 16 in and buy 8 more outboard pre's...decisions decisions!
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Dunno how the Symph pre's are yet since they're not out yet but I'd just go ahead and buy some other brand of pres and hook it up to the Symph.

No need to go with the Symph's pres since there are so many out there with a variety of sounds...
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Track 2 pres's are totally amazing.... FWIW
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Addict

i am about to pull the trigger and upgrade to a symphony preamp module with the 8 x 8 i/o module.....so this are the questions:
1 .....honestly how good are the mic pres ? better than the ensemble(which i own currently) as good as other high end preamps? (i know is an esoteric question,but just to have a perspective)
2. in addition to the 8 mic pres ,can i use the adat connection of the 8x8 i/o to hook a 4-710 (they have their own conversion )and then an API 3124 to the rest of the 4 -710 inputs(5 to 8) to have 16 preamps simultaneously ?(8 symphony,and 8 via adat)
3. can i use the inserts points for the same purpose? (to hook a xmod chameleon labs pre?) ...
4. if i sum and monitor through a d box ,,,am i loosing conversion quality ?

thank you very much
Old 21st September 2013
I am also interested how the apogee pres sound actually . Lets say better or worst than focusrite ISA or some other pre amps in similar price range?

Can somebody who used the Apogee amps tell us about it?
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumannizer View Post
I am also interested how the apogee pres sound actually . Lets say better or worst than focusrite ISA or some other pre amps in similar price range?

Can somebody who used the Apogee amps tell us about it?
This is a bit of an old thread - there are lots of great sound samples available now.

Mumford & Sons: Live from the Artists Den - "I Will Wait" - YouTube
Soundgarden: Live from the Artists Den - "Slaves & Bulldozers" - YouTube
Apogee Symphony I/O - Recording Jazz with new Mic Preamp module - YouTube
Joe Barresi records guitars with Symphony I/O mic preamp module - YouTube
https://soundcloud.com/apogeedigital
Old 9th October 2013

I have a question for you :

I have the apogee basic chasis with 8 ch AD/DA card installed. Now I would like to install one more card with 8 of yours mic preamps. My Q. is since I am using the ADDA path ( my 8ch card) for mastering and mixing am I still going to be able to use ADDA line IOs when I install the preamps? I dont know how can I bypass the preamps once the 8ch preamp card is installed when I need the line IOs only.

Thanks
Old 10th October 2013
Quote:
I have a question for you :

I have the apogee basic chasis with 8 ch AD/DA card installed. Now I would like to install one more card with 8 of yours mic preamps. My Q. is since I am using the ADDA path ( my 8ch card) for mastering and mixing am I still going to be able to use ADDA line IOs when I install the preamps? I dont know how can I bypass the preamps once the 8ch preamp card is installed when I need the line IOs only.

Thanks
The 8MP gets installed into the top slot and takes the Line Input connector feed and routes to mic preamp and back to the existing AD converter board.

You switch it with the Apogee software, per channel.
couldn't be easier,

It does not add additional AD converter inputs, so Channel 1-4 can be set to Mic/Instrument/Line and 5-8 can be set to Mic/Line. Each of these have insert send and return points before the converter input.

Quote:
How does the 8 Mic Preamp Module work?
The Mic Preamp Module upgrades the functionality of any Analog I/O Module by adding mic preamps to the existing line inputs.
A direct connection between the Mic Preamp Module and the Analog I/O Module inserts a mic preamp stage before the line inputs.

"Connect mics to the Analog IN connector of the lower I/O Module. When an input's Analog Level is set to Mic (or Instrument) in Maestro, the signal is routed from the lower I/O Module's Analog IN connector, through gain circuitry in the Mic Pre I/O Module, and back to the lower I/O Module's A/D conversion stage.
Connect instruments to the rear panel INSTRUMENTS 1/4" connectors"
Old 11th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The 8MP gets installed into the top slot and takes the Line Input connector feed and routes to mic preamp and back to the existing AD converter board.

You switch it with the Apogee software, per channel.
couldn't be easier,

It does not add additional AD converter inputs, so Channel 1-4 can be set to Mic/Instrument/Line and 5-8 can be set to Mic/Line. Each of these have insert send and return points before the converter input.
Thanks

Can you compare the sound of the apogee pres to anything out there on the market? Can you compare them to Isa focusrite mk2 pres ?

Thanks
Old 11th October 2013
they sound like the Symphony converters themselves, to my ear
Old 12th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
they sound like the Symphony converters themselves, to my ear
Like a cold,fresh and clean mountain air ?
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Like a cold,fresh and clean mountain air ?
Yes. With a cool nordic breeze supplied by the purr of an overexcited exhaust fan.
Old 18th October 2013
out of curiosity ... how would you compare apogee pres vs Presonus DigiMax D8 or focurite octopre ?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Studios View Post
Yes. With a cool nordic breeze supplied by the purr of an overexcited exhaust fan.
Hahaha, that is funny! Actually, I've just recently started working with the Symphony and the fan is only audible for a few secs when it it is turned on. Haven't experienced it switching on in a session yet.
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
Hahaha, that is funny! Actually, I've just recently started working with the Symphony and the fan is only audible for a few secs when it it is turned on. Haven't experienced it switching on in a session yet.
You can hear the fan with two modules instaled. You probably only have one module... With one module its very quiet.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
Track 2 pres's are totally amazing.... FWIW
Are the Trak2 and Mini Mes the same?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search