The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ROYER LABS R-101 vs R-121 Ribbon Microphones
Old 29th October 2010
Gear Addict
ROYER LABS R-101 vs R-121

Hello,

Anyone tried the R-101?
I'm considering buying a ribbon to mic a guitar cabinet and wanted to know how does it compare to one of the workhorses the R-121.

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Ricardo
Old 17th November 2010
Gear Head

royer has posted some r-121 vs. r-101 comparisons on their website:
royerlabs.com/R-101.html
Old 17th November 2010
Gear Addict
Thanks. I'm gonna listen to them.
Anyone checked this out yet?
What do you guys think?

Best regards
Ricardo
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarz View Post
Thanks. I'm gonna listen to them.
Anyone checked this out yet?
What do you guys think?

Best regards
Ricardo

I listened to them because I have a R-121 which I use for flute.
The R-101 seems to have a little less of detail in de low-mid frequencies.
It is a little bit dull in that area.
The R-121 sound a little bit brighter and had a lot more detail.

greetz,

Paul
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

6 weeks later...some slut musta tried it by now.
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Addict

R-121 is SMOKIN on guitar cabs. It was one of my go-to cab mics when I had access to it. I would up using the R-101 a lot on acoustic guitar, percussion, etc., but the 121 was amazing on cabs.

One of the best guitar solo sounds I've gotten was using a 121 on a single 10" driver practice amp. People would never believe me when I told them the setup
Old 10th December 2010
Gear Maniac

101 vs 121 and SF-1?

Hi -- does anyone understand where the R-101 fits in w.r.t. the SF-1 and R-121? The SF-1 is not as bright as the R-121 because the SF-1 is (from the Royer site) a more "purist". Is the R-101 somewhere in between or on a different axis completely?
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Head

Got the 101 in a couple days ago, and so far it's a fantastic mic. I've tried it on Vocals, Guitar, and a Glockenspiel.

Vocals are rich and thick but won't be right for most voices. Background vocals might benefit from it's tone, but the sound is still quite impressive.

Guitars are the most impressive so far. I mic'd up my Vox with the 101 and a SM57 thru a UA 2-610. The 101 was tilted down about 15 degrees, right in front of the cone. The sound is amazing, deep and clear. When mixing the guitars today, I needed no EQ at all. The guitars sit perfectly in the mix.

The Glock was very impressive to. Glock's sometimes can sometimes have harsh overtones and the 101 smoothed them out and really gave it the percussive sound the track needed. Very little eq if any was applied to this.

I don't have a 121 to compare to but no corners were cut while making this mic, it's every bit a royer!
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
Hi -- does anyone understand where the R-101 fits in w.r.t. the SF-1 and R-121? The SF-1 is not as bright as the R-121 because the SF-1 is (from the Royer site) a more "purist". Is the R-101 somewhere in between or on a different axis completely?
Seeing that the R-101 has a 2.5 micron ribbon (same as 121), I'd say it's going to be closer to the 121 in terms of brightness, detail, and how it handles transients. The SF-1 and other SF series mics are not the same mic: they are noticeably brighter (still not bright compared to LDCs and SDCs but brighter) and more detailed than 121s. For me, it's 121s on cabs and room duty and SF-1s on piano and overheads. Love to hear the 101.
Old 30th March 2011
I tried both on a reamped guitar track. 2x10 bassman, mics aligned as closely as possible, API 512's on each. The amp was set pretty loud to get that bassman 'thing'.

They were SO CLOSE. The R-121 had ever so slightly more detail in the midrange., however. The R-101 came close, but it was lacking that extra 5% that made the R121 special.

But it would be an easy thing to tweak the R101 track to sound the same as the 121. That might be a amp knob tweak, a preamp tweak, a position tweak, etc. But you'd get there inside of two minutes, I'm sure.

-A
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Just got a 101. Wow, blew my mind. I thought that since it was quite a bit less than a 121, it was gonna be ehhhh. Have to admit, I am pretty stoked. It sounded huge on guitars. And after messing around with placement, it ended up dead on in front of the cone. It seems to love it there. And I didn't have as much of a problem with bottom end as I thought I would. With a little practice, this thing is gonna kill.

JROD
Old 22nd April 2011

Anyone tried the "brighter setting" - i.e. micing with the rear side?

I am gonna check it out next week
Old 22nd April 2011
Engagement Manager

i have both
last week i put them up on Fane loaded 4X12" playing heavy riffs through a SLO head

they went through the same chain and they both sounded great to me
if i'm honest i actually preferred the R-101 on most of the takes
that 'little less detail' people have mentioned really helped the guitar sit in the mix straight away

so when it comes to tracking loud guitars i'd be really happy with either
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=sniperschool;6568933
that 'little less detail' people have mentioned really helped the guitar sit in the mix straight away

so when it comes to tracking loud guitars i'd be really happy with either[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was imagining while listening to the tracks on their website. People go to ribbons for the softer (less detailed) high end compared to condensers, but then when a ribbon is compared to another ribbon people like the one w/more high end!

Bump for more reviews of the r101.
Old 26th June 2011
High End Moderator

The 121/101 combination sounds great to me, easy to get a range of different tones with both mics on the same cab, just by mixing them together with different ratios.

To me the 101 has a bit more midrange, which really fits well for electric distorted guitar, the 121 has the oomph and just enough top end not to sounds scratchy on guitars and reveal the shortcomings of the output transformer in the amp. Both mics have a great sound of their own, both mics sound great by themselves in front of a guitar cab, but the combo kicks ass.

So, in typical Gearslutz fashion: use both...
Attached Thumbnails
ROYER LABS R-101 vs R-121-gtr-mics.jpg  
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
Dear God you are of NO help to me...

Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 121/101 combination sounds great to me, easy to get a range of different tones with both mics on the same cab, just by mixing them together with different ratios.

To me the 101 has a bit more midrange, which really fits well for electric distorted guitar, the 121 has the oomph and just enough top end not to sounds scratchy on guitars and reveal the shortcomings of the output transformer in the amp. Both mics have a great sound of their own, both mics sound great by themselves in front of a guitar cab, but the combo kicks ass.

PLease don't tell me that setup is only for one mono guitar signal heh
Old 27th June 2011
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
PLease don't tell me that setup is only for one mono guitar signal heh
Yes it is, but not all mics are used at the same time. I pick a certain combination that works well for the track to be recorded. With a setup like this I can be ready for almost any sound during the recording of the whole album.
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
With a setup like this I can be ready for almost any sound during the recording of the whole album.
Electric banjo?
Old 30th June 2011
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Electric banjo?
What is a banjo ?
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
What is a banjo ?
Gotta at least one guy in your neighborhood with a Banjo!
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Gotta at least one guy in your neighborhood with a Banjo!
Not necessarily... the neighborhood clean-up programs have really been going well. heh
Old 30th June 2011
Quote:
What is a banjo ?

It's a doo-flicky with a watchamacallit on one end of it, a thingamajig on the other and 4 rubber bands stretched across the top.

Used as a first-aid treatment, it's been known to induce vomiting which is extremely effective if you've swallowed anything poisonous.

Incidentally, I am a part-time banjo first-aid practitioner.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it is, but not all mics are used at the same time. I pick a certain combination that works well for the track to be recorded. With a setup like this I can be ready for almost any sound during the recording of the whole album.
If I may ask, do you consider Avatar cabinets to be on par quality wise with "official" cabs like Marshall and Orange?
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Q how do you know if a banjo is out of tune?

A the banjo player is playing it.

Old 1st July 2011
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
If I may ask, do you consider Avatar cabinets to be on par quality wise with "official" cabs like Marshall and Orange?
Yes, I think they are high quality cabs. That said, every cab will sound different based on the different materials they were built from. I watched a demo at the Nashville Amp Expo (Nashville Amp Expo - August 20-21, 2011 - Nashville Amp Expo) last year where somebody had built 3 cabs and the only difference was the wood for each cab. Funny enough I liked the MDF cab the best in the blind shootout.
Old 17th July 2011
From the clips on the Royer site the 101 is much brighter and leaner than the 121. It's somewhat condenser-like. For me, I'll stick with the 121, I think, at least until a 101 shows up at my studio one day ;-).
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Still feel the 121 more detailed.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Months later... I absolutely LOVE my 101. Pair it with a 57 and you get the epitome of rock guitar sounds! I really want a second. I haven't directly a/b'd to a 121, but I love the tone either way.

it also works great on backing vocals. Smooth and blends super easily.

I can't say enough good things about this mic!!!

JROD
Old 9th May 2012
Here for the gear

highs and phase problems of the 101

I listened to the Royer sound comparisons and I think the 101 has some more overtones - but in my opinion not the right ones - the 121 sounds much more smoother.
At the trumpet, these are very "sharp" overtones, with the piano it sounds a little bit discolorated (the same frequencies).

So I would go with a 121... BUT recording an album , I had problems with the Trumpet and Trombone recording, so always check the distance and also check for phase problems if there is a wall in the front... (because of the 8 characteristic it can be very dramatic! because Brass instruments come to life with beautiful overtones - a phase problem would kill it....

i hope i could help you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search