The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ROYER LABS R-101 vs R-121
Old 9th May 2012
  #31
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Old thread bump for sure......

We have the R121 and R101 (and R122) all used one after the other, directly compared in our Clipalator on drums, ac gtr, el gtr and male vocal.

Pretty easy to hear the differences.

The R101 is wonderful for sure.

War
Old 14th June 2012
  #32
Here for the gear
 

101 v 121

121 is a "mellow" but honest mic. One of those "stranded island" mics that everyone will eventually find. (if it sounds good in the room, it'll sound good through this mic) R 101 is a great mic for a bright / nasty guitar amp (source). I own both... 121 is worth the extra dough because it is more lively and can be used on instruments the 101 would turn to mud. Put a 101 on a bright guitar cab though and you'll find heaven.
Old 29th June 2012 | Show parent
  #33
Here for the gear
 

Royer mics

Recently read an article about how 90% of the world's Neodymium magnets are made in China and the resulting environmental disaster that's occuring around these factories. So where do Royer source their Neodymium magnets from? Anyone know?
Old 29th June 2012 | Show parent
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_LV View Post
Recently read an article about how 90% of the world's Neodymium magnets are made in China and the resulting environmental disaster that's occuring around these factories. So where do Royer source their Neodymium magnets from? Anyone know?
Probably not a unique situation for Royer, 90% of everything is made in China these days. What does your post have to do with the 101 v 121 comparisons?
Old 29th June 2012
  #35
Lives for gear
 
jrod9900's Avatar
 

I think theirs are made in Binghampingtontownville City. I'm not positive though...

Jrod
Old 29th June 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 View Post
I think theirs are made in Binghampingtontownville City. I'm not positive though...

Jrod
Yes, 20 miles from Detroit Rock City.

War

PS: Only half of them are positive though, the other half are negative
Old 30th June 2012 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Hyder boy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Yes, 20 miles from Detroit Rock City.

War

PS: Only half of them are positive though, the other half are negative
Hey, I'm 20 miles from Detroit Rock City...
Old 30th June 2012
  #38
Lives for gear
 
jrod9900's Avatar
 

Is Detroit even still a city?

:-/

Jrod
Old 4th April 2013
  #39
Bumping it!
I'm north of Detroit in Flint.. Neither are cities. It's a mess.

I own a small studio and am debating on the 101 or the 121. I have the money to buy either, I just like the price of the 101 more. As far as primarily using it on guitar cabs, ( I know the freq response is different, I've looked at them) should I fork out the extra for the 121? I could always EQ the 101, right?
Looking to buy in a few days...
Thanks!
Old 4th April 2013
  #40
Lives for gear
 
jrod9900's Avatar
 

I dig both on guitars. They each have their own sound, but I don't think one is necessarily better. They both sound awesome for guitars. I found the 101 to be kinda rough on drums unless you have a really great sounding room. It sounded pretty bad in small-small/mid drum rooms, particularly with low ceilings.

We have both the 101 and 121 at the studio. Both are great mics. It just depends on what you're going for. I know Sweetwater will let you try both and return whichever one you don't pick. Just a thought. I know I always feel much more comfortable when I have the ability to test things personally.

Just my $.02.

Good luck mate.

JROD
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Addict
 
aryschien's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
I own a small studio and am debating on the 101 or the 121. I have the money to buy either, I just like the price of the 101 more. As far as primarily using it on guitar cabs, ( I know the freq response is different, I've looked at them) should I fork out the extra for the 121? I could always EQ the 101, right?
Looking to buy in a few days...
Thanks!
We got both the 121 and the 101 here. I'd say get them both. If you can't, however, I'd recommend the 121 over the 101.

The 101 is a bit brighter, which is good, but you can always boost the highs of a 121 with a good EQ anyway. On the other hand, the 121's got a smoother and more detailed midrange, which cannot be done later.
Old 4th April 2013
  #42
Gear Addict
 
AwTAC's Avatar
 

based upon the price, I was expecting the 101 to be a leaner version of the 121 and its totally not, its definitely got its own thing going on and is every bit as cool as a 121. If there could only be one of the two on a guitar cab, Id chose the 121 however I found the slightly scooped mid on the 101 (in comparison) to lend itself amazingly for blending with another mic on a guitar cab. Either will work, but the 101 is really nice. Find myself cutting less with the 101 compared to the 121 in similar applications. They are both really on the same level with each other, the difference between the two is a matter of taste. A 121 does not sound madly superior (whatever that is) next to a 101, they just have a slightly different frequency response very similar tone.
Old 10th June 2013
  #43
Here for the gear
 

R101 vs R121

I work with both. The definition off R121 is not only a presence in 100hz, it is impossible to restore that with the best EQ of the world. On a piano: in the daytime and at night (121 do not suffer the comparison) Gtr Nylon: I prefer close R101 to R121 (+/-10inches farawy) (everything also depends whom play)
Old 11th June 2013 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Addict
 
Saxon-of-a-son's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
The 121/101 combination sounds great to me, easy to get a range of different tones with both mics on the same cab, just by mixing them together with different ratios.

To me the 101 has a bit more midrange, which really fits well for electric distorted guitar, the 121 has the oomph and just enough top end not to sounds scratchy on guitars and reveal the shortcomings of the output transformer in the amp. Both mics have a great sound of their own, both mics sound great by themselves in front of a guitar cab, but the combo kicks ass.

So, in typical Gearslutz fashion: use both...
Oh, crap. Thanks, Michael for giving me a reason to buy yet another microphone. I've been using a 121 + SM7B on guitar cabs, and they sound very good together, but I was always wishing the Shure would do more. I have to try the 121 + 101 now!
Old 29th July 2013
  #45
Here for the gear
 

Has anyone used the 101's for drum overheads?

I have a home studio with acoustic drums set up. The room is roughly 13x16, and the ceilings are only 8', so I can only hope for so much (!!). But the figure 8 pattern of the ribbon mic has always scared me off. I put up a few less expensive mics (Apex, but modded by Oktavamod) and the results have me less scared. I was surprised to be honest, enough so that I rehung my matched pair of 414s and put them in figure 8 thinking perhaps it was the magic I needed. But, I liked the Apex. And yes, I am afraid to admit it to myself, and particularly in the "high end" category!!

But, now I am thinking R121 or 101s. And, no, I don't need them... as a home recording schlub I could get by with much less than what I have, but....
Old 29th July 2013
  #46
Gear Addict
 
AwTAC's Avatar
 

101's will totally work on a drum kit.
Old 29th July 2013
  #47
Lives for gear
 
jrod9900's Avatar
 

I will say I tend to use the 121 on a kit moreso than the 101. Just personal preference. Seriously, with these two mics, they are just different, not really a better than/worse than thing. Some people like peach cobbler, others like cherry...

I do find the 101 on overheads to be very room dependent due to the Figure 8 FWIW. If it's a small room that doesn't sound the best, probably not gonna wow you.

Good luck,

JROD
Old 30th July 2013 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Aaron Miller's Avatar
This thread came back. I'm still using the SF-1 on overheads. SF-1 or SF-12 on drums and 121 on cabs is the ticket. I almost sold my SF-1s; had good offers but just could bring myself to do it.
Old 30th August 2013 | Show parent
  #49
Gear Addict
 
Saxon-of-a-son's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
The 121/101 combination sounds great to me, easy to get a range of different tones with both mics on the same cab, just by mixing them together with different ratios.

To me the 101 has a bit more midrange, which really fits well for electric distorted guitar, the 121 has the oomph and just enough top end not to sounds scratchy on guitars and reveal the shortcomings of the output transformer in the amp. Both mics have a great sound of their own, both mics sound great by themselves in front of a guitar cab, but the combo kicks ass.

So, in typical Gearslutz fashion: use both...
Yes, I love this mic combo on guitar cabs--best I have tried out of many combinations. It just gets that forward distorted guitar roar that I've been after. I have the R-121 and R-101 right next to each other on the same 4x12 speaker.
Old 27th July 2014 | Show parent
  #50
Looking for a ribbon mic for guitar cabs and on occasion brass and cello. The 121 and 101 are the two running against each other. Find the Woodpecker too bright.

Wonder if the 121 lacks too much high end though and perhaps wooly?

Thinking 101 might be a better choice for jazz guitar amps and Stones distortion guitar amps?
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Blast9's Avatar
Can't comment on the 121 but The 101 is pretty versatile as you can use either the "normal" or the "brighter" side.

I find the "normal" side has some nice upper mid detail, and isn't wooly sounding.
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
  #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Looking for a ribbon mic for guitar cabs and on occasion brass and cello. The 121 and 101 are the two running against each other
Thinking 101 might be a better choice for jazz guitar amps and Stones distortion guitar amps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Can't comment on the 121 but The 101 is pretty versatile as you can use either the "normal" or the "brighter" side.

I find the "normal" side has some nice upper mid detail, and isn't wooly sounding.
The same holds true for the 121... and it is a tad more open sounding. There is nothing dark or wooly about a Royer 121. It defies the stereotype ribbon high end crash without being too bright. I prefer the bright side for most things... the normal/dark side has the badge on it.
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Royer!

Owning both I can say they are both amazing, if I could only have one of them I would choose the R-121, however, the R-101 is great,

In my experience,

R-121, great on overdriven, clean, and Dist, guitar, high hats, Drum room, overheads.

R-101, great on overdriven/Dist, guitar.

I mostly only record Rock/Punk/Acoustic so I have not tried these on a vary wide variety of instruments, I would say the R121 would cover more ground.

If your looking for an amazing heavy guitar amp mic = R-101 is it.

I agree with Mr, Wagener, mixed together on a guitar cab is a perfect combination.

I do not like the R-101 on drums at all.
Attached Thumbnails
ROYER LABS R-101 vs R-121-image_9460.jpg  
Old 29th August 2014
  #54
I've owned both of them since I last posted on here. There is no reason you couldn't make a good recording with either of them. I managed to pick up a new 121 for the price of my 101 so naturally, I sold the 101. If budget is your concern, the 101 will do the trick and do it well. If you'd rather be patient and save up, get the 121. The difference on guitars is there, but I don't think it is a night and day deal. The 121 does a little better on percussion.
Old 29th August 2014
  #55
Lives for gear
 
fred2bern's Avatar
 

I just did a solo violin recording in a really nice church with a 101 Matched pair in a Blumlein setup.
Really nice take, compared to the KM183 + SBK130 also available, the sound is nicer and less rough.
I used the 101 through a cloudlifter and in a RME Octamic XTC.
Really happy owner!

Fred.
Old 31st August 2014 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
Bumping it!
I'm north of Detroit in Flint.. Neither are cities. It's a mess.

I own a small studio and am debating on the 101 or the 121. I have the money to buy either, I just like the price of the 101 more.
Well, personally, I would never admit to having the money in either Detroit or Flint. You're just asking to be robbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
I've owned both of them since I last posted on here. There is no reason you couldn't make a good recording with either of them.
So which does a better job of picking up the resonance of the metal bars over the windows?
Old 23rd March 2015
  #57
I purchased the 121 and could not be happier. Wonderful on guitar cabs, trumpet, trombone, and acoustic guitar when you use the rear side of the mic.
Old 9th July 2017
  #58
Gear Head
Anybody here record horns? I have two R-121 and am thinking about getting more. I wish I had 6 or 8 of them - a pair for overheads, another pair for piano, and a couple more for trumpets and trombones, and 1 or 2 more for guitar amps.

Wondering what R-101 does for trumpet and trombone?
Old 9th July 2017 | Show parent
  #59
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharvey11 View Post
Anybody here record horns? I have two R-121 and am thinking about getting more. I wish I had 6 or 8 of them - a pair for overheads, another pair for piano, and a couple more for trumpets and trombones, and 1 or 2 more for guitar amps.

Wondering what R-101 does for trumpet and trombone?
I used a borrowed 121 on trombone and I think it sounded good, but a smoother ribbon might have been better. I was recording 5 trombones, and I used the 121 on the lead player, because it is a little peakier than the other ribbons I had at my disposal. In that respect, it did help the melody poker out, and that was good. If it was just a horn section for a rock song, I would probably not use the 121.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5652 views: 1803718
Avatar for andersmv
andersmv 3 days ago
replies: 79 views: 4087
Avatar for salvomix
salvomix 1st February 2008
replies: 73 views: 33416
Avatar for moonpi
moonpi 15th February 2012
replies: 107 views: 26685
Avatar for Aktuator
Aktuator 28th October 2013
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump