The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon PCM 60, 70, 80, 90... Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Lexicon PCM 60, 70, 80, 90...

I have no reverb hardware piece other that the Roland Space Echo, I've been using mostly plugins in my home studio.

I want get a Lexicon piece, what should I get?
Care to share the differences bet the PCM 60, 70, 80, 90?

Peace
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear
The odd man out is the 60 in that it is a very limited palette. Admittedly some love it, but imhop if tou only have one unit either of the other three have more to offer.

The 90 is pretty much reverbs only, but I like it for that. The 70 and 80 have a wider variety of fx to choose from.

The 80 and 90 do have spdif ins which might be handy when interfacing with a DAW, although I suspect a lot of folks just use analog i/o.

If it was my decision, I'd probably get an 80 because of the versatility. The 90 probably costs a bit more, but many feel it is the equal to a 480.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattioliCo View Post
I have no reverb hardware piece other that the Roland Space Echo, I've been using mostly plugins in my home studio.

Peace

Depends on the sound that you are after.
I have 90 and 70 and they are very different.
90 is versatile as previous poster mentioned, on the other hand 70 has got my favourite Concert wave algo that can't be found in other Lexicons.
If i had to get rid of either 70 or 90, it wouldn't be 70 that i would get rid ofthumbsup
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
The 90 is pretty much reverbs only, but I like it for that.
+1 thumbsup
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Peace
The 70 has some fav algorithms
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Cool! I mostly do rock and pop.
I guess a unit with good and useful variety of verbs and delays and other fx would come to my mind. I would get a 90 for reverbs only later on!
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Addict

I'd consider an MPX-1. Will be cheaper I'd think and somewhat easier to use (which may or may not be a factor).

I had a 91 and I wasn't blown away by it.

Frankly, I think TC's Classicverb is easily as good.

The MPX will get you into the same ballpark and it has the Ambience alg that the 80/81 don't.

Having said all of that, while I've never used one, time and time again, over the years guys have rated the 70. It's certainly more limited from what I gather but the tone of the verbs would appear to be killer! Whether you can get one in good condition for a decent price, I have no idea.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
The odd man out is the 60 in that it is a very limited palette. Admittedly some love it, but imhop if tou only have one unit either of the other three have more to offer.

The 90 is pretty much reverbs only, but I like it for that. The 70 and 80 have a wider variety of fx to choose from.

Decisions, decisions.
+1
I've owned all four. 60 is too limited, a one (or two) trick pony. There seems to be a lot of love for the 70 here but I don't regret selling mine. The 80's effects are great ... it has that Eno mod/delay/shimmer thang in spades and the reverbs are decent. I do like the reverbs in the 90 and still have both 80 and 90 in my rack.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear
I've never been a 70 fan. Owned two, but it never clicked with me. Yes, there were some nice programs, but so do the 80 and 90.

I did have a cool PCM 70 editor that let me make some custom banks, but in general the other engineers liked the 70s way more than I did.

I did dig my 480, but I think I goT rid of it at the right time.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool! I mostly do rock and pop.
I guess a unit with good and useful variety of verbs and delays and other fx would come to my mind. I would get a 90 for reverbs only later on!
If you can spot a PCM91 you should consider it. It basically gives you a 90 (same reverb algos) with some additional effects on board.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

1 vote for the 60. Simple yet effective.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

I've had all 4, kept 80 and 90. Although I use a lot of plugins the 90 makes it on every mix, and the 80 on maybe 50%.

Both are hooked to PT via SPDIF. Note that they don't support sample rates over 48khz if that's important to you.
Old 29th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
If you can spot a PCM91 you should consider it. It basically gives you a 90 (same reverb algos) with some additional effects on board.
you can do some interesting things with a 91 if you can break out of the presets

the "Spin" and "Wander" parameters are the magic mojo in this box and a somewhat undiscovered gem if you're looking for some more interesting sounds than just dual engine verbs
Old 7th November 2010
Gear Maniac

I ended up picking up a PCM 80 this week.
Care to share your favorite reverbs, delays and fx?

Ps: I'll definitely get a PCM 70 and 90 when I have the chance.
Old 7th November 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by judah View Post
1 vote for the 60. Simple yet effective.
I agree. I sold my 80 years ago. The thing was a pain in the ass and kinda tizzy, the 60 is just cool.
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Do you guys hook it up using the digital or analog connections?

Also, care to share your favorite reverbs and delays on the PCM 80?
Old 11th December 2010
If I were you I'd make sure you're get any of these lexi boxes for cheap, if they die they are very few if any techs who can get parts for these. If they're cheap enough get 2 so you'll have one for parts. Soundwise I own a 90, I like it but not anywhere near as much as my KSP8
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have a Lexicon 480L and its wonderful. But the Concert Hall algorithm in the PCM-70, which supposedly was derived from the 480L, is something special. A couple tweeks, and wow. The PCM-70 is still one of my go to pieces when I'm mixing OTB.
Old 13th December 2010
i'm a PCM60 fan, but you guys are getting me interested in those "higher-number" ones with these "options" you speak of...heh
Old 13th December 2010
I love the sound of the 60.
It's all about the sound, not a million options.
Old 12th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I have or I have had 60, 70, 80, 90, 81, 91.

60 and 70 sound more dense. More musical.

The other more digital and ethereal sound. Less meaty.

PCM60 have options about Plate or Room, and several sizes and decay times.
Well. Did you seen a real plate reverb?
The real plate reverb only have Plate mode and decay time.
And you have everything with that.

If you want programs, memory storages,... PCM80, PCM90.
If you want the Lexicon sound, with the PCM60 and the PCM70 you have it.

PCM60 has a bit of noise floor. I use a noise gate for that.
My Spring reverbs has more noise floor (I have 3 spring reverbs). I use a noise gate for that.

I hope this helps.
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Peace
the 480L is the reverb...the space echo is a jwellery box...i´m combining the roland re 201 with the 480L...magical sounding

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search