The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daking Eq?
Old 9th July 2003
Lives for gear
Daking Eq?

Hi, just wondering what you guys thought of this eq? Can you drive the line input to get some distortion while mixing?
Old 9th July 2003
The Daking EQ is phenomenal. Yes you can do some saturation on it, but a transformer is going to have a tight sweet spot things get really weird beyong that. I want his console so I can have the EQ on every channel, it's that good. I wouldn't use it to master, or for 'surgical' fixing during the mix, but if your tracks already sound good with no processing, they are going to sound even significantly better with Geoff's EQ. There must be magic dust in that thing.

Old 9th July 2003
Gear Maniac

Love it! Mids are very creamy, the bass is extremely tight! MicPre killer as well. Build quality 7 of 10.
Recommended
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Nut

where do these fit in on the neve 1073/neve33114/API 550a lineage?

dave
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Addict

Very colored sound: Jensen transformers on inputs and outputs; BIG sounding EQ with tons of headroom. Distortion is typical rock'n roll sound (for the lack of a better expression), therefore similar to NEVE in that respect, but even more typical of TRIDENT A series. I love this preamp/Eq (we got two and two compressors), but I tend to go overboard with the distortions because they sound so good. I don't think you can go wrong with DAKING, but it DOES have a specific sound.
Cheers
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by soundguy
where do these fit in on the neve 1073/neve33114/API 550a lineage?

dave
They don´t! Geoff had a good eye on the Trident A-Range when he designed the eq/pre....
But still, Discrete, Class A Circuits, Transformers......
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Nut

what are those compressors like?

do the amps for the makeup gain sound anything like the mic preamp in the EQ? I wonder if its the same amp or something different. Is the compressor transformer balanced.

I swear, sometimes the easiest way to answer this stuff is to just buy the ****...

dave
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I swear, sometimes the easiest way to answer this stuff is to just buy the ****...
You´re extremely right.....You won´t regret it......
The compressor by the way is kind of smooth. On my last ten mixes I´ve used ém on the mix bus. Works ok on drum bus as well....

/Slim Shady International Holdings Incorporated
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Addict

Compressors are extremely subtle -- too subtle for some of my kids who might want the LA-4 extreme-setting kind of squashing. From my experience it is hard to make them sound bad on any setting. I like the idea of being able to have preset "time constants" on the release, but I also wish I had a bit more information about the exact amount of manipulation. The Daking has very little information on the front panel. One REALLY has to use EARS for it (which is how it should be some might add).
A four pack (2 compressors/pre_EQ + power supply) will run you around $ 5K. Not pocket change exactly.
Cheers
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd G
I like the idea of being able to have preset "time constants" on the release, but I also wish I had a bit more information about the exact amount of manipulation.
Release switch:
A 0,5
B 1,0
C 1,5
D Neve 33609 Auto
E Audio & Design Compex Auto
F Fairchild #5
G Fairchild #6
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Nut

how tight is the bottom end on the compressor? does it compare to something like a 33609, or does it mush out? Does it SOUND like a fet compressor?

dave
Old 10th July 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd G
Compressors are extremely subtle -- too subtle for some of my kids who might want the LA-4 extreme-setting kind of squashing.
Subtle? Really? Hmmm. I found them to be pretty obvious. I can kind of compare them to an 1176, 160VU and 2254 all rolled into one unit. It's not exactly like any of them but I can hear bits and pieces of each one in there. I would love to get a pair of the compressors to match with my pre/EQ's.
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

An killer idea IMHO would be like a 4 or 8 pack unit with the Daking Pre,EQ and comp on each channel.....or maybe a 4 channel thing with a Mix bus....I would love to check out his 16 channel console but it's pricey.
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

Yep, Trident eq's are killer. They are my favorite.
From what I understand, the Daking pre/eq is essentially a Trident A Range module. Except, certain parts of the A Range are impossible to get so Geoff swaped out parts as close to the original as he could. The biggest difference between the Daking and a real A Range is in the transformers. The Daking uses Jensen's and the original was made by Zutt. A friend of mine who spoke with Geoff Daking at length about this was told that if you swapped out the transformers, you would essentially have an A Range. He has a Daking pre/eq and is considering just that. From what I heard briefly listening to the Daking is that the pre had a nice coloration but also that distinct Jensen sound(solid, clear, pristine) We both felt that it lacked a bit of the A Range magic, being able to compare it to a B Range module(same pre as the A Range, different eq) The eq on the Daking was outstanding. I have considered getting a pair myself and searching for the original tranny's.
My friend also has the Daking compressor and likes it a lot, but I haven't had a chance to test drive it.
Sean
Old 10th July 2003
Both modules often come up on Ebay.....
and very competitively priced IMO.
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
how tight is the bottom end on the compressor? does it compare to something like a 33609, or does it mush out? Does it SOUND like a fet compressor?

dave
I like the Daking comp especially on kick and bass. For me it has a very tight low end - very controlled. You can dial in a ridiculous (sp?) amount of GR without sounding too obvious. One of the best pieces I haveheh

Jo
Old 10th July 2003
member no 666

FWIW, the EQ on the Daking seems to have a bit better clarity than the Equalizers on the A-Range I work on from time to time... which is sometimes a very nice thing. The 'pre' is OK... but not the high point of the unit for my applications... but the equalizer is well worth the price of admission... at least in my world.

I have found that I use the compressors in applications where I would normally want a Neve 33609 or 32264a... they have a very nice, very 'in your face' without getting 'grainy and ****ty' kind of character to them... wonderful for both drum and vocal applications.

As always, YMMV.
Old 10th July 2003
Gear Addict

I use them on KICK/SNARE a lot. Also tracked some male vocals through it - very good. Oh, as far as the compressors are concerned, I believe they are FET compressors (or at least behaves like them). But why go for the opinion of a dickhead like me, go ask Geoff, he is very accomodating.
Cheers
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

Let me second that emotion about geoff. I called Samara at Mercenary with a Daking question. I was wondering about the availability of the older vertical/lunchbox style modules. She said she'd do a little research and get back to me.

10 minutes later Geoff himself called me, and told me that while they no longer manufacture the lunchbox configuration, he would be happy to custom make me some!

Combine an A+ quality product with A+++ customer service, and you have got a company that I always will want to do business with!
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Head

Which transformers are used in Daking Pre's?

I was under the impression that the Daking mic pre -- at least the original model --used Reichenbach transformers, and not Jensens. Geoff Daking himself told me this when I bought mine about 10 years ago. Am I wrong? Or has he changed the circuit?

By the way, I LOVE the Daking pre's (sorry, Fletcher). I'm also quite fond of my API's, but for all this talk of coloration, I find that the Daking sounds remarkably clean, capturing transients and air beautifully. If that's coloration, it sure sounds natural and right to me.

Alan
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

i think there are 44 of those pres here at the maid's room right now - they have gone up against
everything - one client's producer had almost every mic pre - 10 of the most obvious choices - here
for a week and they all left - the pres from the daking console became the sound - reels from here -
tracked on my beautiful daking have been subsequently brought and played on and mixed on
the decks and boards of sear sound, sunset sound, avatar and the majic shop - always
with rave reviews standing next to some of the most audiophile studio people on both
coasts.......
it is also a wonderful thing that geoff is a really nice guy who wants to make great
stuff and he stands by what he makes in a truly exemplary fashion......
the daking console is the cornerstone of the maid's room - i would put a daking console
in any studio i built before any other console i am aware of......
the pres and the eqs are amazing.....
it is also beautiful to look at every day

be well

- jack
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Daking VI pre is fantastic. The tranny is sweetening all around and great to run a line track. I'm "mastering" a reggae album and the daking is great to rounding and sweetening a full edge Daw mix.
Old 12th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWolpert View Post
I was under the impression that the Daking mic pre -- at least the original model --used Reichenbach transformers, and not Jensens. Geoff Daking himself told me this when I bought mine about 10 years ago. Am I wrong? Or has he changed the circuit?
Old thread, but maybe it is still relevant to post this...

Jensens all over the place... I bought it from themaidsroom btw .
Old 12th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have a pair each of the pre/eqs and comps and love the colors and textures of both. Just mixed vocals with the comps today, nice and creamy on my tenor voice.
Old 12th December 2010
I have a pair of 52270bs, they sound really nice. There are other eq's that are more versatile but these have a sound, and when they work , they really work great. The compressor is also an excellent piece.
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I have one Mic-Pre/EQ. I want sixteen.

IMHO The pre is not a far cry from an API. I'd describe the Daking as a touch "meatier" with the API 512 a tad "punchier". Both are great regardless.

The EQ, however, makes me consider trading in my Portico 5015 and Sebatron VMP-4000e for more Daking...
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I just want to add another +1 on the awesomeness of everything daking.

Was just tracking the other day on the Mic Pre EQ + Comp and it was just perfect on everything i put through it. As soon as I have the dough I'm going to throw down on one of each.

My brother has the Mic Pre IV at his studio and though he has some other really nice pres (API A2D, ISA 428, Vintech..) I pretty much put everything through the Dakings. I can always get the sound I want, and very quickly... for me this is paramount because i want to spend as little time as possible trying to get sounds and get down to creating.

And the monitoring on the Pre IV is great too... i Love the LEDS, its a very good way to see whats happening between the interactions of the various knobs.

And i don't know why an above poster said the build quality is 7/10... to me its some of the most solid - "substantial" gear I've used. Everything feels really nice, and I love the aluminum knobs, they feel so right in my hands.

Seriously, I am ALL about daking gear and I would use it without hesitation and actually OVER a lot of more hyped (and much more expensive!) gear.

hehhehheh

If you have the $$ dont hesitate.
Old 13th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyman View Post
I have one Mic-Pre/EQ. I want sixteen.

IMHO The pre is not a far cry from an API. I'd describe the Daking as a touch "meatier" with the API 512 a tad "punchier". Both are great regardless.

The EQ, however, makes me consider trading in my Portico 5015 and Sebatron VMP-4000e for more Daking...
I find the pre more mid forward than the API, and in a way that makes me prefer the API. That's not to say I don't like the Daking pre, but I prefer API.So I'd say my take is a little different. That's what makes the world go round
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I find the pre more mid forward than the API, and in a way that makes me prefer the API. That's not to say I don't like the Daking pre, but I prefer API.So I'd say my take is a little different. That's what makes the world go round
To me its more pleasing hi mid forward. I'm with sortalucid though, I way prefer the Daking pres to API's. Just sold my 3124 to buy my 3rd Daking mic pre 4.
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Nut

+1 on the Daking Mic Pre/EQ! It has become my desert island mic pre, it seems to reproduce sound in a way that I find completely intuitive and it "interprets" the source exactly the way I want it to, every time. And the EQ is a godsend, I don't know how I ever used a ribbon mic without one.

Lately I've been mixing through the line inputs and those are amazing as well!! Using the 20K LPF and the 20K hi shelf in conjunction creates that sparkly, open top end I've heard on other mixes but have never been able to recreate myself, I'm just blown away by these little boxes!!

I've read a lot of complaints about the quality of some of the switches, and people are right to complain, they're not the greatest. Still, I would not hesitate to get like 10 more of 'em if I had the resources.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search