The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Um930...omg. Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Um930...omg.

Random ecstatic utterance:

One of our Gefells went down, and while it's being repaired, the nice folks at Mercenary have loaned us a UM930.

I am flabbergasted. I cannot give this microphone back.

It is simply stunning on every vocal I've thrown at it. Dead quiet. No sibilance issues. Unbelievably detailed. Plenty of girth.

And all the other usual adjectives.

It's expensive, but I can't believe we don't speak more often about it on this forum.

Call me hooked.

Here ends my ecstatic utterance. Carry on.
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

It seems I am alone in my joy.

Is it that this microphone, at 4K, is too expensive, or that its expense leads folks to purchase something else deemed more trendy?

Me thinks this is one of those pieces of gear that transcends the GS sheep cycle.

Anyone out there?
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

You've got my attention...

Do you have samples? What are your usual vocal mic choices?
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Apparently most gearslutz who are spending 4 grand will opt for a tube mic over a phantom powered, transistor one. Some gear just sounds good, regardless of how popular the circuit topology may or may not be. Some people prefer solid state over tube on vocals because it doesn't introduce as much coloration, particularly in the mid range.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll have to try one when the budget permits.
Old 25th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
It seems I am alone in my joy.

Is it that this microphone, at 4K, is too expensive, or that its expense leads folks to purchase something else deemed more trendy?

Me thinks this is one of those pieces of gear that transcends the GS sheep cycle.

Anyone out there?
Yes. I do think the expensive of the microphone is why it is not as popular, but such is life. The people who try it, find similar quality results! I love our UM930 D77, and specifically the specimen that your talking about.

Can I share a cool tid bit? Put the Pattern selector half way in between the patterns, it generates a +4, 1K tone so you can volume match your preamps.

But - Yes, the UM930 is actually a RAD design with an INCREDIBLY low noise and high dynamic range. In fact the M930, M1030, share this very special amplifier, but the way the UM930 derives its pattern is interesting. Check out the way the capsule is housed inside.
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Can I share a cool tid bit? Put the Pattern selector half way in between the patterns, it generates a +4, 1K tone so you can volume match your preamps.
Yep. Figured that out. TOTALLY cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Check out the way the capsule is housed inside.
I know, Adam, I'm not sure you want me toying with the innards of this thing before you get it back! (IF you get it back... wondering what I sell off to buy it...)

I guess what impresses me is how utilitarian it is. It seems there are always threads here about the best "all-around" mic, and while lots of LDCs seem to me quite "adequate" performing many tasks, this one simply EXCELS at everything I've thrown at it: Several wildly-different vocalists, violin, acoustic finger-style (recording a great player on a custom Goodall). Great fun.
Old 25th October 2010
Quote:
Yep. Figured that out. TOTALLY cool.

I know, Adam, I'm not sure you want me toying with the innards of this thing before you get it back! (IF you get it back... wondering what I sell off to buy it...)

I guess what impresses me is how utilitarian it is. It seems there are always threads here about the best "all-around" mic, and while lots of LDCs seem to me quite "adequate" performing many tasks, this one simply EXCELS at everything I've thrown at it: Several wildly-different vocalists, violin, acoustic finger-style (recording a great player on a custom Goodall). Great fun.
Yes, its EXCELLENT for those applications - as well as just about everything else I've used the microphone for. I recently used this microphone to great results [IMO] on acoustic GTR - [old washburn] but I had to combat some proximity effect in mixing - [so I had to use an equalizer and filter out the bottom pretty aggressively] because I had the microphone pretty close [I was going for a reach out and touch it kind of sound] but I was really happy with the sound I was able to get with it. Pretty cool setup on this one, with a lot of cool stuff - [MT71 on VOX, 122 on Slide, MT71 then used on the Drum] but the Acoustic GTR was recorded with that UM930 - going into my VT2 and then I used the Purple TAV to cut the bottom out completely in mix time. [I hear the GTR better with the EQ in]

The Barons
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like fun. This week's session has been an acoustic/folk/rock outfit. UM930 on all the vox (through MA5, E27, TLA-100A); R121 on mandolin; KM69 or UM930 on acoustic (depending on the part); UM930 on fiddle and sundry percussion. And I'm also enjoying the TAV—mostly on bass, before or after the Purple. Having a blast.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sounds like fun. This week's session has been an acoustic/folk/rock outfit. UM930 on all the vox (through MA5, E27, TLA-100A); R121 on mandolin; KM69 or UM930 on acoustic (depending on the part); UM930 on fiddle and sundry percussion. And I'm also enjoying the TAV—mostly on bass, before or after the Purple. Having a blast.
Hi Daedalus! Still enjoying your UM930? I have one too and have it on the market but I have to say, I'm beginning to ask myself if selling it would be a mistake! I've not really used it on anything but vocals, but it seems it can be quite the mic on other tasks. I also have a Sanken CU-41 and feel like there's an unnecessary overlap there.

Anyone tried the UM930 on piano? I'm wondering how it would fare.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search