The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Summing Flavours via 500 Series.
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Summing Flavours via 500 Series.

Hey guys,

I'm planning on setting up an otb summing chain and wanted a little input.

Lynx Aurora 16HD > Folcrom RMS216 > API 512//BAE 1272 > Bus comp.

according to RMS, you get the sound from your itb mix and your pre.
So, i just had a simple question:

Is the BAE 1272 a 500 series module?
Can i boost a signal by 30-40db with it?

And what are my options as far as bus compressors in 500 series format (if possible)
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by overgrown View Post
Is the BAE 1272 a 500 series module?
No, it's a Neve preamp. Unless you meant the BAE 312A, which is an API styled pre, currently with Avedis opamp and Jensen xfrm's.

See the JCF 500 series LEVR!!!!

I would not use two different pre's for makeup gain on a mix, even if they are similar. It would be best to get a pair.
Old 7th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
See the JCF 500 series LEVR!!!!
Being designed specifically for use with a RMS216, The LEVR moves earthly size boulders. Make way and Part the sea.

This simple circuit has clearer less dense audio than 1272's do - and really has been the best pairing IME as far as using something "universal". All the other mic amps are pretty specific in signature. I like 1272's as well for thicker slower, more dense harder tones - those can get in the way if you are using it in the front end of your recordings. The LEVR was designed to combat atrocious masking of harmonic additions and build up and thus gives you a certain height and width and separation that is very cool. It solves a pretty specific problem and has a very pure and open response. But, Pick your poison and run with it. That's what's great about the RMS216. Options.
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

I'm going to check out the LEVR now, i wasnt planning on using two different pre amps at once, its a choice thing. a flavour thing.

Having the api flavour is nice, but i wanted the neve one aswell.
i guess the LEVR will do that for me.

edit: so i checked it out, it seems to be just 2 inputs and a make up knob.
what does it SOUND like?
and transformers are what i want right? i see the option to get it with or without.

and so i guess there's no 500 series "neve" sounding pre?
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

And what are my options as far as bus compressors in 500 series format (if possible)

Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph........drooooooool

SHADOW HILLS INDUSTRIES - VICTORY IS OUR BUSINESS
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

that site was so difficult to navigate through.
what's it sound like, what makes this a good mix bus compressor
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
and so i guess there's no 500 series "neve" sounding pre?
there are in fact a few designed to achieve that sound, and I love my Avedis MA5s.

A couple of others that come to mind are the AML, the FiveFishStudios, and the Vintage Design. I understand there are others in the works, but really from experience, if you want to sum into a LEVR with something "Nevish" sounding, the Avedis will make you smile. Good luck in your search.
Old 7th October 2010
with Shadow Hills GAMA you will have 3 sonic flavors to choose from.
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrionic View Post
there are in fact a few designed to achieve that sound, and I love my Avedis MA5s.

A couple of others that come to mind are the AML, the FiveFishStudios, and the Vintage Design. I understand there are others in the works, but really from experience, if you want to sum into a LEVR with something "Nevish" sounding, the Avedis will make you smile. Good luck in your search.
do i need to use the LEVR?
are you saying i dont use the preamp to boost the signal out of the folcrom but instead just pass the signal through the pre and use the levr to boost the signal?
Old 8th October 2010
Quote:
do i need to use the LEVR?
are you saying i dont use the preamp to boost the signal out of the folcrom but instead just pass the signal through the pre and use the levr to boost the signal?
Patching any line voltage signals into the LEVR[s] will fail horribly. This is not the intention of design, and while this premise seems confusing at face value - the LEVR does not add "summing" to a 500 series Frame. It adds amplifiers to an RMS216 powered by your 500 frame, in place of a microphone preamplifier. The LEVR is a 0 impedance 3-transistor line amp designed specifically for the Roll RMS216, or similar passive summing setup so it's sole purpose is to make up the 30-40 DB of gain in a different way than a preamplifier does the job. I would use the LEVR as the 2-buss amplifier and then you can patch your colored live driver stages after it does the job that is required of it. We have a pair in the studio, and they've been awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search