The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073 DPA(D) - Gain / Trim balance - Setting correctly? 500 Series Preamps
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

The correct way of setting any preamp up for maximum headroom is to first set the output level pot to maximum.

Then turn the input gain knob up until your source is amplified to an adequate level on your VU reference meters.

It matters not what the source is, you just follow the same procedure.

Posted from my iPhone
Wow reading this thread and laughing my ass off. what everyone wanted to know in 2012 is is 0 maximum or is +10 LOL
Old 5th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Wow reading this thread and laughing my ass off. what everyone wanted to know in 2012 is is 0 maximum or is +10 LOL
What's the answer? It's 2016 and I still want to know. I have a 1073LB. Is the trim only an attenuator? Or does a different boost kick in between 0 and +10? Either way I'm getting great tones with the trim on 0 (12 o'clock).
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick. View Post
What's the answer? It's 2016 and I still want to know. I have a 1073LB. Is the trim only an attenuator? Or does a different boost kick in between 0 and +10? Either way I'm getting great tones with the trim on 0 (12 o'clock).
yes, i know this is an old thread, but you said you wanted to know .. !!

hi, this was answered a couple of times but probably got lost in the shuffle ..

1) set the Trim at 12 o'clock .. no cut / no boost (as geoff tanner mentioned there is an amplifier on the boost side of that Trim knob) .. this is clean and Unity Gain ..

2) set the Red Knob until you reach the desired output level for the next piece of Gear in your Signal Chain ..

3) if you are trying to overdrive the input amplifier to try and get some sort of "SOUND" .. then use the Trim knob to Fine Tune your levels after you adjust the RED Input knob ..

now, some people want to drive that input really hot .. and if the Trim knob is not enough to bring the level down for the next piece of gear you will need another way to Attenuate that signal !!!

make sense !!!

cheers john
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Joe Barresi enters this debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Bottom line, the output pot should be kept at maximum or near to maximum and the gain adjusted on the input sensitivity switch.

If that switch has 5dB steps and you need the level lower, turn the gain down on the switch and adjust marginally with the output level control.

All this goes out of the window if you want to overdrive the pre.

PS I add a caveat that I have no clue how AMS-Neve wire the pot on their 1073 (1290) unit. My comments only apply where the unit is set so 0dB on gain switch and fully clockwise on the output level pot = unity gain.

heh
I guess there's a difference in doing things the right technical way (headroom) vs what most producers want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLaF...outu.be&t=1869

At 31:10 in the interview Joe Barresi says "They don't sound good that way" and that he was talking with someone about this and that it led him to calibrate his PT rig to minus 20 'cause the preamp would otherwise blow up the inputs of his PT rig.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Hi

I'm not sure I see the connection.

I was talking about analogue headroom and by keeping the output level control at or near maximum you won't overload the input stages of the preamp.

Joe is talking about digital headroom and (thank the Lord) talks about recording to digital at a lower level to provide ample digital headroom rather than some who record close up to digital 0dBfS 'cos you get the best resolution of bits and bu**er the headroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdog View Post
I guess there's a difference in doing things the right technical way (headroom) vs what most producers want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLaF...outu.be&t=1869

At 31:10 in the interview Joe Barresi says "They don't sound good that way" and that he was talking with someone about this and that it led him to calibrate his PT rig to minus 20 'cause the preamp would otherwise blow up the inputs of his PT rig.
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

In typical gearslutz fashion question is not answer, but a lecture is given. 0 is the way to go or +10 or find the dpa manual because Some pres have 0 at max and some have 0 and plus 10 at max
Old 8th March 2018
Partially reviving this old thread... a little off topic... on the AMS-NEVE 1073 DPA... why the specs say max 60dB gain and you have up to 80dB on the pots ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search