The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Groove Tubes Vipre Techniques
Old 15th August 2002
Lives for gear

Groove Tubes Vipre Techniques

Okay, it's flat from 7htz to 100Khz... Okay it's got 75 friggin' db of gain... How are you guys/gals using them??? The Varible Impedence seems like a real cool thing, but how about these 'rise' times? I imagine that's the slew rate of the circuitry. Wouldn't you normally set this as fast a possible? Can these be linked in stereo (for the rise times?) Doesn't a higher impedence kinda sound more 'distant'?

Basically what I'm getting at is I'm going to test one out, but don't have an "experment with new mic pre's friendly" artist, and kinda wanna dive in quick. (I'll be using a Sony 800G or a U47 tube) Any specific tips? Suggestions?
Old 15th August 2002
High End Moderator

Re: Groove Tubes Vipre Techniques

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Okay, it's flat from 7htz to 100Khz... Okay it's got 75 friggin' db of gain... How are you guys/gals using them??? The Varible Impedence seems like a real cool thing, but how about these 'rise' times? I imagine that's the slew rate of the circuitry. Wouldn't you normally set this as fast a possible?
It depends on how much attack you want on your signal. A slow rise time can come in handy for a singer with a lot of sibilance or to take some of the quick attack of any percussion instruments.
Quote:
Can these be linked in stereo (for the rise times?)
I don't think so
Quote:
Doesn't a higher impedence kinda sound more 'distant'?
Yes and no, it depends on the microphone. With the Sony try starting at 600 and take it from there. You will probably need a medium to slow rise time with that mic (always depending on the source, of course). I have not used the VIPRE with a U47 but I would think 600 is a good starting point as well, and with that mic I would think that a fast rise time would be fine.
Gain: set the VU switch to +10 when you start getting levels, you're less likely to distort whatever follows the VIPRE.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th August 2002
Gear Head

Well you could try downloading the manual from this page... it's got some advice on what settings to try for various mics.
Old 16th August 2002
There is only one

just start with the impedance at 2400 and the rise on fast... work your way down the dials until it sounds right by your ears, the the inpednace first and the rise second. the pre isnt all that complicated in usage.

at least thats my guess on it... i will know better in a few months after long use of it.
Old 16th August 2002
Why don't you all go boil your heads!

Old 17th August 2002
Lives for gear
My favorite for my vocals is in the ballanced bridge mode, 600 (I don't think the ohms matter in bridge), fast. For use with a Lawson L47MP. I just got it but am really impressed. I like the slower rates for rythem guitar and sometimes bass to make it sit a little back in the mix.
Old 17th August 2002
Lives for gear

Okay Aye-holes.. in 24 hours I'll confirm or deny these claims, WE SHALL SEE!!!
Old 17th August 2002
Gear Maniac

Anyone using the Vipre as a Fatso replacement? i.e. using it as an effects return in your daw to add warmth?

Also there must be a way to get this thing for under 2 grand
Old 24th August 2002
Lives for gear

This is becoming a broken record around here but the Vipre really is an amazing piece of gear. Got mine a week or two ago and can honestly say it is the best piece of gear I have bought in a long time. I, like Michael, now find myself trying to figure out how to have more of them
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

Well, here's another way of looking at the Vipre's $2000 + price for one channel.

I own a POD Pro. I was figuring that alone wouldn't do it for my high-end project studio. The most versatile, hifi sounding tube amp I could identify that didn't completely break the bank was the $1100 Koch Twin Tone Combo. I like that amp a lot and was all set to buy it till a Vipre unexpectedly found its way into my studio.

I hooked the POD into the Vipre. I hardly pushed the Vipre past 8 o'clock. Then I saw God.

Next up was a Royer 122 on an acoustic guitar (I didn't have a guitar amp or a sax lying around). Nothing much to write home about till we turned the Royer backwards. All of a sudden we had an incredibly creamy, rubbery sound that reminds me a lot of a sound I nor anyone else seems to be to recreate - the rubbery sounds of Beatles acoustic guitars that were caused by tubes on top of tubes and bounces on top of bounces. But there it sort of was. The steel strings were all smooth and rubbery. Not typical, but quite compelling.

So that was 2 out of 2 great sounds with next-to-no effort from me.

Now:

1) I think I can come up with pretty much endless variations of POD and Vipre meaning I don't have to buy the Koch for $1100.

2) I don't have to worry about what preamp I have to get that can handle a ribbon mic. Savings = fill in the blank.

I guess by that logic the Vipre's free!

So that's my take on the Vipre asking price and that doesn't begin to factor in what others have noted, mainly that it brings out the best in mics meaning I can now get all sorts of mileage out of budget and mid-priced mics and seriously doubt I'll need the Klaus editions, etc.

BTW the last pre I auditioned was the Cranesong Flamingo. I enjoyed hearing it and was impressed by the metering visuals. However I didn't see God.
Old 23rd October 2002
Don
Gear Maniac

I want to see God...Must have one dammit ..
Anyone want to buy some blood.LOL
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Maniac

just curious if anyones experience with the Pod/Ampfarm/Amplitube + Vipre has been similar to trogggs?

I have no guitar pre's/cabinets/pedals etc...I have ampfarm now and am about to get amplitube...but my next step up for guitar (besides my Martin Dion Limeted Edtition Acoustic on the way to me) was gonna be that Rectafier Recording Pre+head/some kinda cab/royer or one of those lil mesaboogie combo amps.

So should I skip all that and save my neibors the agrevation and just put it toward the Vipre? (and maybe a Pod XT unless Amp Farm finally see's updated algorithms)?

rollz
Old 24th October 2002
Lives for gear

I know you're seeking the testimony of others to confirm my findings (although if I'm wrong you can put me in a white room and throw away the key). I'm posting again to suggest a slight variation to one of your buying scenarios.

I'm talking about the POD XT/Vipre commingling.

If you decide to take that route, let's theorize for a moment that I'm right and you have to have a POD. Do you have to have the latest/greatest POD (XT) just because it's the latest/greatest? Why can't there be classics in the virtual modeling world just like there are in the analog world? What I'm getting at is buying a discounted or second-hand POD Pro (from all the other stores or folks upgrading to latest/greatest), saving around three hundred bucks or more, and applying that to a microphone?

Just a thought. . .
Old 24th October 2002
Gear Maniac

troggg well I already have Ampfarm...so that's pretty much like the origonal pod... also i just realized the Pod xt doesn't have digital outs besides the usb which would make it harder to incorporate into TDM...so I guess I would probably wait till an XT Pro...come on though you know want the latest and greatest? Your posting on a gearslutz forum for gawd sakes!

Old 24th October 2002
Lives for gear

Consider me enlightened.
Old 24th October 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah. As far far tube pres goes, the Vipre is dope. I found myself not needed a compressor with it. Alesis gets one cool point. (still a long way to go to make up for the whole ADAT thing, but still "hella", as the kids say on the westsiiiide, cool).
Old 24th October 2002
Mindreader

Point One:

Whoever has a vipre is a complete and utter bastard because I haven't got one

Point Two:

This thread suddenly became about Pod and guitar sounds.

I just bought a Cornford amplifier.

Bloody hell. Second hand for 400 uk pounds, its only 6 watts but sounds like a monster and is one of the best things I've ever bought. A complete no-brainer for people who haven't got the space to mic up massive rigs but still want the real thing. HIGHLY reccomended (and I'd be suprised if some of you haven't got one already)

I wonder what THAT sounds like through a vipre!!!

Oh, and another thing. I bought the cornford amp because the pod being tracked is a pile of crap imho. Sounds like a bee.

Point Three:

Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB

Well I do have one, so all I can tell you is:

Drool Britannia !

rollz Scott
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Why don't you all go boil your heads!

yea ..... tut tut

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search