The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide H3000 D/SE v. H4000 Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 28th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Eventide H3000 D/SE v. H4000

I am thinking of buying one up mainly for effects for my drums, not guitar. It seems that a 4000 is only a few hudnred more than a 4000. The 4000 is supposed to be quieter while the 3000 D/SE is allegedly less digital sounding.

Can anyone confirm whether this is really the issue or advice me on which is better. Thanks
Shah
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

The 4000 is only a few hundred more than the 4000?

Anyway get the H3000 - 'cause I just got one and it's fat and not digital sounding at all.

The 4000 has that "plug-in" sound. I know, I know - some of the slutz like em, but YMMV.

Old 28th December 2005
Gear Maniac

werd

thanks

I've seen the 4000 go for about $1400? and the 3000 D/SE going for $1200
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

The 3000 prices REALLY fluxuate.

When i sold my 3000SE this year I got like $750 for it...and even the DSE was only getting like $775 on ebay.

Now they are all much higher.

I keep reading on here that Trill has picked up a 3000 for $500 before.

It's a seller's market right now.
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
The 3000 prices REALLY fluxuate.

When i sold my 3000SE this year I got like $750 for it...and even the DSE was only getting like $775 on ebay.

Now they are all much higher.

It's a seller's market right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAudioLab
Exactly!

I couldn't get $800 for it this summer.
Old 28th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
igher.

I always only pay what i think something is worth.

But i don't buy as much gear as used to either.

I do feel the prices of some stuff as gone out of control due to people reading forumns like this and hyping prices up.
Old 28th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
I do feel the prices of some stuff as gone out of control due to people reading forumns like this and hyping prices up.
There is some truth to that. Not so long ago I went to see a guy who was selling a 3000 D/SE. He wanted to know whether I knew Gearslutz. He figured that if I knew the forum, I would at least know how valuable the unit is. As if I didn't know before. That was my very reason for being there anyway. He wanted €1600.
I walked.
Old 28th December 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAudioLab
The 4000 is only a few hundred more than the 4000?

Anyway get the H3000 - 'cause I just got one and it's fat and not digital sounding at all.

The 4000 has that "plug-in" sound. I know, I know - some of the slutz like em, but YMMV.

Having owned the 3000, the DSP4000, the Orville and now the H8000, I'd like to interject with a glass of perspective and soda. There are some absolutely key differences between the two units that have everything to do with their sound. First of all, the 3000 isn't nearly as programmable as the DSP4000- it's a totally different architecture, and the only way you can even vaguely start to approach the 4000's level of flexibility from a programming standpoint is to get the Mod Factory stuff installed in your 3000- and even then, it's not at all the same thing. What you get with the 3000 is, for the most part, what they give you, subject to whatever basic parameter edits you do. By contrast, the DSP4000 is built on an entirely modular, buliding-block concept where you can create your own algorithms from scratch using low-level DSP modules. A vastly wider range of effects is possible with the 4000, and sonically speaking, it can sound however you want if you're willing to put in the time programming it. Anyone who says the 3000 sounds "warmer" is reacting to the sound of the converters, not the algorithms. It definitely has a more low-fi aspect (which can be great), and you can't get it brighter or cleaner- that's it. With the 4000, particularly when using digi I/O, there is significantly greater clarity, which could be interpreted as "digital-sounding" by some ears. All this means is you have to compensate either at the programming level or by post-processing its output if you really feel the need to take the edge off.

The point is, the decision to buy one or the other is really down to what kind of demands you're going to make on the unit- if you think you'll be adequately served with the H3000's presets, then that's what you need. If on the other hand you feel you need more programming flexibility and want to explore a wider range of effects possibilities, the 4000's the clear choice.
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

I installed the upgrades to the H3000 and it's pretty flexible. The 4000 is WAY more programable and tweakable to be sure but remember panther said he originally was thinking of buying one mainly for effects for drums, not guitar so....

That's why I thought the 3000 might be better for his needs - easier to approach and program, little warmer converters etc...

BTW (I haven't checked) what's the prices for 4000 and also the Orville these days? The Orville looks tempting indeed. What the deal with that unit vs the 4000 and the 3000?
Old 28th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewars
Anyone who says the 3000 sounds "warmer" is reacting to the sound of the converters, not the algorithms. It definitely has a more low-fi aspect (which can be great), and you can't get it brighter or cleaner- that's it. .

Not true.

Jim Williams does a mod to the converters that clears them up.
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

Ahhhh coooool Thanks thrill. U Da Man.

Got his number? I thought I talked to him a few months ago, but I can't find the number now.

What's he charge for the mod?
Old 28th December 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not true.

Jim Williams does a mod to the converters that clears them up.
Slick! If I still had one, I'd do that. I've heard nothing but good things about his mods.
However, the overall point about the architecture differences between the two units
remains valid- Anything you can do on a 3000, you can achieve on a 4000; Depending on what you're going for, it may simply take more work.

cheers
Old 28th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewars
Slick! If I still had one, I'd do that. I've heard nothing but good things about his mods.
However, the overall point about the architecture differences between the two units
remains valid- Anything you can do on a 3000, you can achieve on a 4000; Depending on what you're going for, it may simply take more work.

cheers

Totally understood.

That's why i have a DSP7000, an H3000 and a H910.

Have the best of all worlds. heh

They each do something really well.

Eventually i'll add an H8000 when the prices drop.
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Totally understood.

That's why i have a DSP7000, an H3000 and a H910.

Have the best of all worlds. heh

They each do something really well.

Eventually i'll add an H8000 when the prices drop.
Lemme know what that is, I'll take your H3000 for §500 heh .

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone with an Orville? I just picked on up and it arrives next week.

Love to hear any insights anyone else has on it. Was a pretty pricey unit.
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone with an Orville?
I had one for 4 years.
It's routing matrix with the ability to store settings as presets is killer!
The ultrashift algo and the delay modules sound great when tweaked.
Programming on Vsig is fairly easy.

The dsp's are sensitive on levels, so get your gain right.

It has IMO a clocking issue when syncing to an external device.
I've spoken with other owners who have experienced the same thing.

Again, IMO, it sounds much better when you use the analog i/o's and running it
by its own clock.

ruudman
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear
is it just me, or do the soundtoys plugs totally rock for the eventide thing? i have an H3000SE and all the soundtoys plugs. haven't turned the 3000 on in awhile.... maybe i should. sorry if this it OT.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

A H8000 and Eclipse owner here. The 8000 stiil rocks my world and I have #13.....
But not the machine when you want a real fat sounding reverb. It is better to use EMT's (140 or 250) for that.

I use it as a masterclock in my setup else I get problems.

There is a risk when using 3000 and 4000's. These things get old and the spareparts are not all over the place..... Do not know when Eventide will stop repairing these machines.

Harrie
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use it as a masterclock in my setup else I get problems
Hm, they're picky about their clock, those Eventides.

I've had clocking issues with both DSP4000 and Orville when I owned them.
There are workarounds of course.

ruudman
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Of course...

And when you want the convertersound, it is a must to use them stand alone.

Harrie
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Addict

Just wondering where the H3000 D/sx fit in to the range, is it a lesser model then the d/se or is it just different?
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Maniac

One of my, relatively, wildest bills was a sampling board for the DSP4000. I think it was more than $2000 here in Norway. And then the Alchemy 101 card ($495 in the US).
A 4500 would be a cheaper way to get the same stuff. Saw an old SOS 4500 review and the box was originally £5282 in the UK. That`s 9,399.30 USD. heh
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioKing View Post
Just wondering where the H3000 D/sx fit in to the range, is it a lesser model then the d/se or is it just different?
The D/SE has a few more algorithms. It's all listed on the Eventide website. It's not an expensive upgrade, there's a guy on ebay selling ROMS from $100 and it's easily user upgraded. And well worth it from a resale point of view...
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
is it just me, or do the soundtoys plugs totally rock for the eventide thing? i have an H3000SE and all the soundtoys plugs. haven't turned the 3000 on in awhile.... maybe i should. sorry if this it OT.

I've just started using the Soundtoys stuff on a bunch of mixes, and I'm continually impressed. Really great plugins.

I do still enjoy the Eventide hardware though.
Old 1st October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewars View Post
Having owned the 3000, the DSP4000, the Orville and now the H8000, I'd like to interject with a glass of perspective and soda. There are some absolutely key differences between the two units that have everything to do with their sound. First of all, the 3000 isn't nearly as programmable as the DSP4000- it's a totally different architecture, and the only way you can even vaguely start to approach the 4000's level of flexibility from a programming standpoint is to get the Mod Factory stuff installed in your 3000- and even then, it's not at all the same thing. What you get with the 3000 is, for the most part, what they give you, subject to whatever basic parameter edits you do. By contrast, the DSP4000 is built on an entirely modular, buliding-block concept where you can create your own algorithms from scratch using low-level DSP modules. A vastly wider range of effects is possible with the 4000, and sonically speaking, it can sound however you want if you're willing to put in the time programming it. Anyone who says the 3000 sounds "warmer" is reacting to the sound of the converters, not the algorithms. It definitely has a more low-fi aspect (which can be great), and you can't get it brighter or cleaner- that's it. With the 4000, particularly when using digi I/O, there is significantly greater clarity, which could be interpreted as "digital-sounding" by some ears. All this means is you have to compensate either at the programming level or by post-processing its output if you really feel the need to take the edge off.

The point is, the decision to buy one or the other is really down to what kind of demands you're going to make on the unit- if you think you'll be adequately served with the H3000's presets, then that's what you need. If on the other hand you feel you need more programming flexibility and want to explore a wider range of effects possibilities, the 4000's the clear choice.
GS needs more people like you big time...
Old 25th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Exactly!

I couldn't get $800 for it this summer.
2018 facepalm

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search