The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thermioinic Pullet Eq - anyone tried it? Equalisers (HW)
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Thermioinic Pullet Eq - anyone tried it?

http://www.thermionicculture.com/products/pullet.htm
Now that I have finally figured out my Thermionic Phoenix and fallen in love with it and cannot wait to hear this eq. I am such a slut. Help - I need treatment.
I am glad there is a board like this where sick people like me know they are not alone with this illness.
Let me know if anyone has heard this. To tell you the truth, knowing that company, it has got be be great.
And I understand only A couple of thousand $ for two channels. I hope that was not a mistake when I heard that.
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3
I am such a slut. Help - I need treatment.
There is no treatment but my I recommend getting your girlfriend pregnant.
Yep, having a kid will challenge the inner slut by hitting him in the heart and the pocketbook all at once!
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3
...fallen in love with it and cannot wait to hear this eq. I am such a slut. Help - I need treatment..

Just Pullet' a few times and it'll go down
stike
thumbsup

thumbsup

.... that was bad
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Ok - back to the regularly scheduled program - what about the eq!

I know these responses were to easy to resist.
THANKS,
AB
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

I am dying to hear it too! ANYONE??? ANYONE?? BEULLER? BEULLER?

HONK!
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

Pullet

Ok, on a more serious note. BT at Mercenary told me that Thermonic Culture are focusing on the Pheonix comps at the moment and havn't allowed the time to start turning out those eqs yet.
Old 28th December 2005
BT_
Gear Head

Maybe the final tweaks in white lab coats. Looks like a phone call is to be made.

The comp is very handy indeed...
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058
Ok, on a more serious note. BT at Mercenary told me that Thermonic Culture are focusing on the Pheonix comps at the moment and havn't allowed the time to start turning out those eqs yet.
From other unbiased source I heard it's absolutely ready to go now and sounds exceptionally well. In line with company's reputation I guess it will be nothing less then stellar product.
I'll take one for review anyway.
Old 28th December 2005
BT_
Gear Head

Do have one on order should have it in a couple of weeks,they are on vacation.

Will swing by the Gravity station for a listen when it arrives.

Peace
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Head
bump . . . any word on this yet? any one try it?
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear
yeah it looks freakin cool. but I noticed one little detail. You can adjust the "q" and the frequency, but it has a fixed gain/cut of 21 db.

Can someone tell me why would you ever be boosting or cutting 21 db???
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar
yeah it looks freakin cool. but I noticed one little detail. You can adjust the "q" and the frequency, but it has a fixed gain/cut of 21 db.

oh no ... it's variable up to 21db
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

How does the pullet work - being passive? Can you go to it and then a mic pre or visa versa?
THANKS,
AB
Old 16th January 2006
Gear Guru

it looks DIY on the make up gain, so with a mic pre, they're saying prefferably 1200 ohm impedance. this would allow as many colors an stereo mic pres available at mixing ... a nice way to go. i'm very interested.
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

If I am reading the material correctly, it seems like it may be sort of surgical on the midrange but shelving on the high and low. This may be sufficient. Any comments? I have written to the U.S. distributor to see if they are in the U.S. now.
Old 16th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
it looks DIY on the make up gain, so .

This is actually what i don't like.

I rather have a box that sounds good as a system than something you have to mix and match.

Something you just turn on and turn knobs till you like something than something you have to futz with and try to find something you like.

I think there is too much gear out here right now that tries to be everything to everyone than boxes that just do one thing great.

Just an opinion.

(P.S. It also pisses me off because i don't own any mic pres).
Old 17th January 2006
Lives for gear
it seems like its trying to be not another pultec clone. and not having the gain section lowers the price. works for me. I hope its got variable boost and cut. this is what it says on mercenary:

The Pullet is a stereo passive equalizer providing a variable Q boost at 11 frequencies of 21 dB and simultaneously a cut at 11 frequencies of 21dB.

Maybe I am just reading into it too much like always.
Old 17th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
This is actually what i don't like.

I rather have a box that sounds good as a system than something you have to mix and match.

I hear that, but for people with an abundance of mic pres, it is awesome! By that logic, do you prefer active monitors? I do, I like knowing that I am hearing the speakers as they were intended to be heard (assuming the room isn't whack).
Old 17th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
I hear that, but for people with an abundance of mic pres, it is awesome! By that logic, do you prefer active monitors? I do, I like knowing that I am hearing the speakers as they were intended to be heard (assuming the room isn't whack).
I agree. Nothing better than putting those pres to use during a mix. So everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the Pullet sound like an awesome product, and it is priced very well (especially for Thermionic!)
Old 17th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K

Again i own no pres except those in my Neves 31102 which i use as an EQ anyway.

For me to go out and buy a mic pres just to see what will match is a little OT to me.

And yes i prefer passive monitors.

Always have.
Old 17th January 2006
Lives for gear

I guess that is one less Pullet order. Good news for those that want one. I doubt there will be that many around. The first shipment to arrive already sold out to pre-orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Again i own no pres except those in my Neves 31102 which i use as an EQ anyway.

For me to go out and buy a mic pres just to see what will match is a little OT to me.

And yes i prefer passive monitors.

Always have.
Old 17th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3
I guess that is one less Pullet order. Good news for those that want one. I doubt there will be that many around. The first shipment to arrive already sold out to pre-orders.
Dude i never said i wouldn't buy one.

I just said the fact that you have to add a mic pre for makeup gain turns me off.

Whatever.
Old 17th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Sorry to sound stupid , but... can anyone explain exactly how this would be patched? Am I correct in thinking that you can put line level into the EQ, but then need a mic amp to make up the gain (and therefore is the actual output of the EQ is at mic level)? Any idea of $$$?
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

Thermionic Pullet users?

Anyone tried this unit yet? Any comments?
Old 5th February 2006
member no 666

It's in transit... we won't get it until sometime next week... and won't have an opinion for a good week or so after that [if that soon]
Old 22nd April 2006
Lives for gear

Anybody check one of these out yet?
Old 22nd April 2006
Lives for gear

never saw the pullet. i just heard the Early Bird (mic pre/eq) at Mercenary, though, and for the 10 minutes we checked it out i have to say i'm impressed. it's three fixed frequencies, bass mid and treble, but they fit the mic pre very well. we were able to turn the eq knobs pretty much all the way up and didn't hear any frequencies that sounded "overdone", it just made them "buttery".

where the **** did these thermionic culture folks even come from? one day they didn't exist and the next day i started hearing all this buzz about them, and then yesterday i heard that early bird...damn.
Old 22nd April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle
Sorry to sound stupid , but... can anyone explain exactly how this would be patched? Am I correct in thinking that you can put line level into the EQ, but then need a mic amp to make up the gain (and therefore is the actual output of the EQ is at mic level)? Any idea of $$$?
If it works like some of the other passive EQ's I have, that's essentially correct. You run line level signal into them and they drop the signal a certain amount of db's, so you patch in a mic pre after the passive EQ to make up the gain.
Old 23rd April 2006
I should get one on loan and test it for y'all...
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

Had one on loan for my last session and plugged it up as an EQ- rubbish, it has to be used in conjunction with a mic pre- as there was nothing I was willing to sacrifice in the studio to gain a mids only eq it sat there for a few weeks and got sent back.

I love the Phoenix and Culture Vulture but this really just struck me as an add on to the Earlybird that should be in that unit anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search