The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thermioinic Pullet Eq - anyone tried it?
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

I wait for mine, but heard it only with Early2.
This combo is awesome, can I say probably the best pre-EQ I heard. I hope soon will be able to make real studio test.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT_
Do have one on order should have it in a couple of weeks,they are on vacation.

Will swing by the Gravity station for a listen when it arrives.

Peace

did these ever show up?
Has anyone else heard them yet?

thanks
AA
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Addict

old thread bump
any Pullet users care to share experiences? It seems like it could be a geat compliment to my JLM PEQ500 eqs. For makeup gain I have 2 Avedis MA5 and a dual Siemens Sitral v282c, that's been wired and lunchboxed to be used as a dual mic preamp (has around 44db of gain). Are more transparent pres better suited for use as make up gain for the Pullet? The type of work the Pullet would be seeing most in my case is buss duties and mastering.
Any thoughts on this eq?

cheers
Old 27th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
old thread bump
any Pullet users care to share experiences? It seems like it could be a geat compliment to my JLM PEQ500 eqs. For makeup gain I have 2 Avedis MA5 and a dual Siemens Sitral v282c, that's been wired and lunchboxed to be used as a dual mic preamp (has around 44db of gain). Are more transparent pres better suited for use as make up gain for the Pullet? The type of work the Pullet would be seeing most in my case is buss duties and mastering.
Any thoughts on this eq?

cheers
The Pullet is a extremely low color filter set that gives full control to the midrange with the EB's boost only three position EQ. I would suggest anything to your liking will work just fine making up the gain on the Pullet. It sounds awesome with extreme boosts, since it has zero zip or unwanted resonance to it's result. It is righteous with the Bird for buss work in my experience, for just this idea, as well as mojoizing single or stereo elements.
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Head

I LOVE the look of the THermionic stuff. The VU meters give them a vintage feel. thumbsup
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Addict

i'd love to try that on electric guitar
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Addict

Seems to be something that will fit quite well into my setup. My JLM PEQ500's can take care of the top and bottom, and this thing can rule in the middle. Is it balanced?
Old 28th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
Seems to be something that will fit quite well into my setup. My JLM PEQ500's can take care of the top and bottom, and this thing can rule in the middle. Is it balanced?
Yes, XLR I/O - 10K input impedance.

1.3K output impedance.

Knocks down signal 38 DB.
Old 28th April 2010
i've been using one for over a year and love it, i use a chandler tg2 for makeup gain, and use this combo with a pair of chandler germanium compressors mainly for mastering. glorious combo!

there's a great review of the pullet in the current edition of sound on sound.
Old 19th June 2010
PBM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkflame View Post
i've been using one for over a year and love it, i use a chandler tg2 for makeup gain, and use this combo with a pair of chandler germanium compressors mainly for mastering. glorious combo!

there's a great review of the pullet in the current edition of sound on sound.
Yup: I wrote the review; I loved the sound; I bought the unit!

Cheers,

Eric
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, so you did end up buying one. Good review btw. I'm interested in getting one soon.
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Nut

I have a home studio, with not much gear. I have Pacifica pre-amps and FMR PBC-6A's for tracking vocals. Do you think the Pullet would need further gain at the end of that chain? The PBC has an output gain stage. Is it dumb to think I could run mono from Pacifica > PBC-6A > Pullet > other channel Pacifica for make-up gain?
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveybouy View Post
I have a home studio, with not much gear. I have Pacifica pre-amps and FMR PBC-6A's for tracking vocals. Do you think the Pullet would need further gain at the end of that chain? The PBC has an output gain stage. Is it dumb to think I could run mono from Pacifica > PBC-6A > Pullet > other channel Pacifica for make-up gain?
yes, you will need something like the pacifica preamp for make up gain.

the mid lift section of the pullet is great for vox! mid cut at 1k can be useful to make vox seem bigger, but i wouldn't use the high top on vox as it's a bit heavy handed for that purpose. a low pass filter would be more useful for vox, although some mics have those built in.

maybe a manley mini-massive positioned before the compressor would be more appropriate?
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Nut

Excuse my naivety, but does that mean my signal chain for tracking vocal with the Pullet would be

Vocal mic > Pullet > Pacifica > FMR PBC-6A ?

Or does the pullet get fed from the output of the Pacifica, back into to other channel of the Pacifica for further make-up gain

(mic > Pacifica > Pullet > Pacifica > FMR PBC-6A)

Cheers..
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Addict

#2 is correct. the input of the pullet is line level, but the output of the pullet requires make up gain. it's output is at "mic level"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveybouy View Post
Excuse my naivety, but does that mean my signal chain for tracking vocal with the Pullet would be

Vocal mic > Pullet > Pacifica > FMR PBC-6A ?

Or does the pullet get fed from the output of the Pacifica, back into to other channel of the Pacifica for further make-up gain

(mic > Pacifica > Pullet > Pacifica > FMR PBC-6A)

Cheers..
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

I have read in a few places that the knobs seemed a bit unsecured and slightly dodgy .... Anyone else have this experience ? ( or not)

And any other users wanna chime in?

Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

Bump to an old thread

Anyone using one ?

Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Bump to an old thread

Anyone using one ?

Yep. Very nice on guitars - both acoustic and electric. Also kinda fun on 2 mix with the earlybird. You can do some great things by reefing on the EB and pulling the trims back - in combination with the pullet makes for a cool vibe, especially on acoustic stuff
Old 9th September 2012
I've been using one daily for about 3 years, in my mastering chain (with a Chandler TG2 for make up gain). It's a beautiful EQ. I love the mid cut the most, the mid boost is great too. Very clean sound. Probably gonna swap out the TG2 for a GML pre soon to make it even cleaner. Only downside for me is that the high shelf is a little too "strong" in a mastering context, but I'll probably have it modded at some stage with finer resolution. It makes a fantastic partner with my Bax EQ, you then have all three main ranges nicely covered for gentle shaping of program material.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict
I have a pullet in use with a rooster here and it sounds really nice... BUT the "quality control"/hardware thermionic uses is cr*p!
the rooster´s valves are microphoning, the pullet came with a non working soldering inside (which i fixed) and the rooster´s pots are crackling just after two years of use...
dont know if these were black sheep/monday-devices or if thermionic is generally cheaping out on the hardware (though it sounds great)
Old 18th September 2012
Deleted User #208869
Hi!

We did have issue with early versions of the Pullet, we changed the knobs and now havn't had an problems in a long time. The pots and switches themselves are Omeg and Alpha and should be good for a long time.

FYI we have done mods on the top shelf for customers as some have found it too much, but the majority of people like it so we have not made it a perminant change - please get in touch if you do want it changed.

Hope that helps - please drop us an email if you are having any issues or have any questions.

Cheers

Charlie
Old 18th September 2012
Deleted User #208869
[QUOTE=r.staettler;8272603
the rooster´s valves are microphoning, the pullet came with a non working soldering inside (which i fixed) and the rooster´s pots are crackling just after two years of use...
dont know if these were black sheep/monday-devices or if thermionic is generally cheaping out on the hardware (though it sounds great)[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Valves circuit inherently goes wrong so we soak our units for a minimum of 4 days to give the valves the best chance of passing QC. The valves we use are generally NOS or JJ EH etc so top quality - If your valves have gone microphonic then we can send some new ones out to you no problem.

As for your pots, try a little contact cleaner on them. If this doesn't work we can replace them for you. Like I said before, we generally do not have issues with them now so you may have been unlucky with a bad batch.

Hope that helps

Charlie
Old 5th November 2012
Gear Addict
Hi Charlie i PMd you some days ago... would be great to solve things
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

I agree that the high shelves on the Pullet might be way to much in a mastering context, however in a production context WOW boy do I dig these filters.

A supreme eq, if only Thermionic would make a Pullet mk2, for lows and highs I'd be even happier.
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Nut

i am using a dedicated custom preamp for my pullet.
it is built as a very transparent and quiet make up stage with the pullets specs in mind.
compared to other preamps in my arsenal (a.o. realios & avedis ma 5)
it is quieter in operation and has much better dynamics and sound staging;
exactly what i had in mind for mastering/mixbuss applications, where other parts of my gear are better in applying colour than a potentially noisy preamp making up 40dbs of gain...

mirko graue (k.o.d.u.a.L.) built these on custom order and will be very happy to assemble some more of these units.
they are very solidly built and i paid under 300€.
alone for the benefit of never patching preamps for the pullet again this is a great price;
for the quality of its sound it is a steal, gentlemen!

here are some pics, you can reach mirko through his facebook page.

k.o.d.u.a.L. sav 40:

fixed gain: +40db behind preamp (splitting make up gain pre/post pullet could be optional if ordered)
noise: better than -130db
input impedance 1200Q
Attached Thumbnails
Thermioinic Pullet Eq - anyone tried it?-sav40-fertig.jpg   Thermioinic Pullet Eq - anyone tried it?-sav40-innen.jpg  
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Nut

some diagrams:
Attached Thumbnails
Thermioinic Pullet Eq - anyone tried it?-phase-frequency.jpg   Thermioinic Pullet Eq - anyone tried it?-clip.jpg  
Old 25th March 2015
Lives for gear

I currently have for sale
Check the GS ads
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

hi, in less than 3 hours time, i will be testing my pullet/rooster combo. I´ll let you know. Any new users out there?
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

I never saw this thread.

I use one all the time and love it. I actually love that it's passive. I can throw a pair of Electrodyne 501's or helios or GML or Chandler/Neve pres after it depending on sound I'm looking for.

Excellent on stereo guitar sum or parallel buss or vocals; really anything where a perfect mid EQ is needed in a mix. It works great on tracks where an engineer went crazy on the high end- like a mix I just did with acoustic guitars that were ear piercing. The Pullet and a 2254 worked beautifully.

It's definitely not a primary piece of gear though. A bit of a luxury item- perhaps like an MEQ-5 in a sense. Unless you already have the earlybird- then it kinda makes a bit more sense.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear
the pullet lives on my 2 buss. brings great clarity and polish to anything, even when set flat. i always wanted to open it up to see what's responsible for this mojo in such a little box, but i'm not gonna mess with a good thing. if you come in my studio, never ever turn it off, even if by mistake. i'll be pissed!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search