The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daniel Lanois is working with 3 BCM10!! Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
the really good ones just grab whatever is around. and to be honest, snap on tools aren't all that great. My grandaddy bought me a complete snap on set a few years back.. Two of the screwdrivers are broken and my needlenose pliers have frozen up. Both of the screwdrivers broke when changing the discs on my tractor over to the bushhog.
I agree that great artists, craftsmen etc use available resources, but there is an old adage that a bad tradesman blames his tools. Broken tools can sometimes be more a reflection of an unskilled user... where a true artist will coax greatness out of seemingly useless resources. Having nice tools in conjunction with great talent and experience is just the icing on the cake, and could be referred to as "harm minimisation" as opposed to the "collateral damage" incurred by lesser talents.
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioboffin View Post
I agree that great artists, craftsmen etc use available resources, but there is an old adage that a bad tradesman blames his tools. Broken tools can sometimes be more a reflection of an unskilled user... where a true artist will coax greatness out of seemingly useless resources. Having nice tools in conjunction with great talent and experience is just the icing on the cake, and could be referred to as "harm minimisation" as opposed to the "collateral damage" incurred by lesser talents.
However much we may want to deny it, it's totally clear that Daniel Lanois is a major Gearslut! Hey, he's a guitar player and we all know that those are the worst fiddlers and tweakers around!

There is a entry/mid level of Gearsluttery where it's all about impressing your friends/audience/clients and often these filks will be the victim of whatever's hip in audio circles at the moment and then there's a level of Sluttery where it's a TOTAL obsession with sound and the need to express/capture that. This may lead one down very unconventional paths and most people likethat will both invest in very expensive AND thrift-store kinda gear. I would think that Lanois is pretty much in that category...and he has the advantage that he really can afford buying that gear of course.
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkM View Post
Anyway, what are those multiple rack units under Eventide Eclipse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Grand View Post
Dolby noise reduction units

Lanois uses these to enhance the high frequencies of vocals.

They're also compressors in this config... originally a companding process.

My question is, if I want to hang out, do I have to wear a knit cap, or, worse, a bandanna headband? I mean, I'll do it, but...

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Trixie Whitley sure is cute.
Old 11th February 2011
Here for the gear

i find this thread to be so sad. this is my first post on this great site, but why so negative. like him or not, Lanois has brought a great awareness to what it is we all do behind the console and in the studio. yes i do admire him and his work, and feel like what he has done and will continue to do is an extraordinary artistic contribution to both production and engineering.
Old 12th February 2011
Gear Nut

Daniel Lanois

I have just finished Daniels new book - Soul Mining, A Musical Life. A fascinating read and a real eye opener into the man. Highly recommended!
Old 12th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicKat View Post
I have just finished Daniels new book - Soul Mining, A Musical Life. A fascinating read and a real eye opener into the man. Highly recommended!
Hah, I just finished the book last week as well. It's a fascinating and inspirational read.

I thought it interesting that Lanois thinks Wille Nelson's 'Teatro' is the best production work he did. As much as I like Willie, I never could get into that album. To a lesser ectent , that's also my take on Emmylou Harris 'Wreckign Ball' but I understand that I'm in a tiny minority here.

'Time out of mind' and 'Yellow Moon' are probably my fave Lanois productions and I just heard 'For the Beauty of Wynona' for the first time last week and it became a fave as well.
Old 2nd September 2015
Gear Nut
I heard him say to an interviewer who was gushing at his recording prowess.."Im just taking advantage of the tec thats available to me" Makes sense to me. When i had a chance to see him in a 500 seat venue in Boulder he was great. I approched the stage and told him thanks for all the great records. He shook my hand and invited me and my girlfriend backstage. A great time was had by all. Class act all the way in my book.
And another thing! Anybody who suffers learning the pedal steel from age 8 must have at least some musical sense and dedication.
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Hah,
'Time out of mind' and 'Yellow Moon' are probably my fave Lanois productions and I just heard 'For the Beauty of Wynona' for the first time last week and it became a fave as well.
I also like TOOM, but it's interesting to me that Dylan did not like it. And I have to say that the alternate versions of some of the songs that you can find on Youtube are better IMO production-wise.
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not calling him a hack.

Just saying that he is over-hyped and his best work is in the past

1. The Pearl by Harold Budd
2. Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack
3. U2 Joshua Tree
4. Bob Dylan Time out of Mind
5. Emmylou Harris Wrecking Ball

Those are his best works and nothing else he does gets any better or surpasses them since. He does the same treatment to whoever he works with and on his own stuff. He is becoming a parody of himself just like U2.

The massive ego of people like Bono and other superstars have had an influence on Lanois and he obviously thinks he's part of some special club which is fine but it doesn't impress me and will surely sink his creativity.

Dan needs to get out of LA and Toronto. The two cities in the world that contain the most super cool people who give you smug looks for wearing anything other than black.

Dan should move to some place where no one knows who he is and start over. Leave his super cool hollywood friends and wanna be parasites behind. He should just dissappear and make music with people no one knows. That might render some creative results.
On one hand I tend to agree with this viewpoint, especially the part about using the same treatments and tricks over and over again (although not quite as much with Dylan).

On the other hand, don't all producers tend to do that? When people hire them, isn't their "signature sound" what people are hiring them for?

I also agree that Lanois seems pretty aloof from all but the big stars in an era in which more availability would probably serve him better. I disagree with about 80% of what Steve Albini has to say on just about any topic I've ever heard him opine on, but that guy doesn't consider himself too good to work with anyone, and at a reasonable rate.

I respect that.

Not only do I respect it, it's a more reasonable, realistic position to take in the landscape of music in 2015 IMO.

Last edited by drpeacock; 3rd September 2015 at 02:37 PM..
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

ive seen lanois in montreal recently. sucked bad. I agree with Soundsgrand
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
On one hand I tend to agree with this viewpoint, especially the part about using the same treatments and tricks over and over again (although not quite as much with Dylan).

On the other hand, don't all producers tend to do that? When people hire them, isn't their "signature sound" what people are hiring them for?

I also agree that Lanois seems pretty aloof from all but the big stars in an era in which more availability would probably serve him better. I disagree with about 80% of what Steve Albini has to say on just about any topic I've ever heard him opine on, but that guy doesn't consider himself too good to work with anyone, and at a reasonable rate.

I respect that.

Not only do I respect it, it's a more reasonable, realistic position to take in the landscape of music in 2015 IMO.
i think his Flesh and machine stuff sounded pretty fresh, to be honest, very different to other sutff he's done.

As for the lack of availability, his finances are pretty secure (he's got points on many of the hit albums he produced), so he probably can afford to work with whoever. I lack Albini's "I;ll work for anyone at an affordable rate" ethos, but it's a personal choice, really...

Lanois' latest production to date, for Rocco Deluca is, to my ears, really good:

Old 12th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Personally, I think Lanois is better at making a spectacle of himself than he is at making great records.

It's too funny the way you guys are worshipping him here. He's no God of the studio. He's just a guy that learned a ton of **** from Eno, Pierre Marchand, Malcom Burn, Mark Howard, Billy Bob Thorton, Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Bill Frisell, David Botrill and others. he surrounded himself with talented people and acts like some kind of host of the party to musicians while tapping into the tricks of people like Eno, Fripp and Michael Brook.

His secret is hype. He hypes stuff and gets other people addicted and infected by his hype and they go out like little soldiers and hype it up even more. He even has friends in the media that hype stuff up for him that he is working on.

Wasn't U2's last album just hyped up like crazy? And didn't it all start from comments that Lanois made to the media? And wasn't U2's last album the worst peice of crap they have ever released?

A lot of people hype him up. People like musicain hacks Tom Wilson and wanna-bee record producers like Glen Marshall from Hamilton in Canada who call him "The Maker" and **** like that to create even more hype.

Lanois is just doing the same old song and dance he has always done.

Running stuff into the old Lexicon Prime Time and and hitting the sample button and doing the 2.5 second looping. Dropping it down and octave with the delay/sample rate knob. He's been doing that since 1980.

Running **** into the H3000 Crystal Echos and then into the Prime Time and PCM70 or EMT250. Line 6 has a preset in many of their units that simulates this effect. It's been done to death and it's making me tired.

If you want to hear some new sonics that are truly interesting and otherworldly, check out Sigur Ros. They are the current day masters and innovators of sonics that are both organic and futuristic.

Sigur Ros far surpassed the "future sonics" of Lanois and Eno several years ago.
I know this is 8 years later... But if you're talking about 'No Line on the Horizon' as the previous record (2009) being a piece of crap, I'd mostly agree with you except that 'Moment of Surrender" is a stellar 7 minute track, one of the coolest U2 tracks ever in my opinion - and it's a clear Eno/Lanois, you can hear it.

From the YouTube description:
"It was written by U2, Eno and Lanois within a few hours, and then recorded in a single take at a Moroccan riad in Hotel Yacout (google it). After the song's recording completed, everyone, including production personnel and visitors, was completely silent. It received minor treatments afterwards.

"...the most amazing studio experience I've ever had" - Brian Eno
"...it was a spell and we were in it" - Bono

Watch Brian Eno on "Moment of Surrender": YouTube... You wont regret!"

Last edited by ResonantMind; 13th February 2018 at 01:47 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search