The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BAE 1073MP vs Fearn VT-2?
Old 24th September 2010 | Show parent
Don't Tempt me to buy yours! I'm gonna listen to these clips once I get back in my studio.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
As mentioned earlier, I never record vocals - we do solely voiceover - but this is a mate of mine who does a bit of karaoke. I record him from time to time for fun and he buys me a beer. This vocal got done in one take and couple of fixes.

Don't beat me up because I'm pretty clueless about vocal recording - but it might give you an idea of the VT1 sound. There again I might be doing Doug a complete dis-service! Anyway - warts and all here is my mate Stan....
Maybe you should do some vocal's,you got a nice warm sound coming out of studio
Lives for gear

Nice clips gentlemen! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 22nd January 2011 | Show parent
Old 23rd January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have Fearn VT2 and also BAE1073 and also 1073MP.
Love them all.different color but all great quality.All are great and would use them any day for any vox.
BTW I have new toy -- EMI REDD.47 racked by Marqutte audio labs and this is my new favourite...also will have old german EAB MV63 soon and they should be the best pres ever made so Im curious.
BTW. forget about preamps.. ..buy new mic and forget...music is about other things than gearslutism ....
...on the other side Im not the best example by myself heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
I have Fearn VT2 and also BAE1073 and also 1073MP.
Love them all.different color but all great quality.All are great and would use them any day for any vox.
BTW I have new toy -- EMI REDD.47 racked by Marqutte audio labs and this is my new favourite...also will have old german EAB MV63 soon and they should be the best pres ever made so Im curious.
BTW. forget about preamps.. ..buy new mic and forget...music is about other things than gearslutism ....
...on the other side Im not the best example by myself heh
I was gonna say

Good to hear that you like them all though. Have you used the JZ BH-2 with the Fearn for vocals or no?
Lives for gear

No really mate,
buy Sony C800 and you already have good preamp...

later buy some opto comp and make music..
Quote:
No really mate,
buy Sony C800 and you already have good preamp...
later buy some opto comp and make music..
I can afford it but there a small little voice inside that is telling me not to do it, that and the gf who wants to go on vacation
There's also a local seller who has mint NS10s, but I've never mixed with them and I might not like them.

I'm currently using a c800g for a big project and I got the MA5 at 50db and it sounds exquisite. I can't post anything because it's for JR Rotem but they're the best vocals I've cut ever. That and the decapitator in the signal is perfect.
Lives for gear

haha
I see))
so save for good mic..( also any C12ish and any mic with K67 capsule without lowpass filter would be nice for your voice- as vintage C12, C12a,manley Gold, Flea and Telefunken clones, Brauner Valvet, Valvet X and VMA and ofcourse neumann M269 ) all of them you would buy and you will have piss to your pants Im serious, believe mic and vox slut
Quote:
haha
I see))
so save for good mic..( also any C12ish and any mic with K67 capsule without lowpass filter would be nice for your voice- as vintage C12, C12a,manley Gold, Flea and Telefunken clones, Brauner Valvet, Valvet X and VMA and ofcourse neumann M269 ) all of them you would buy and you will have piss to your pants Im serious
I've used an AKG 414eb and it sounded awesome. It had the ck12 capsule in it if I can remember. Anyway I'll just be patient and think about it long and hard before I buy a c800g. Tony has a really nice one that he'd like to sell me.
Lives for gear

cool .. so dont spend bucks for anything not so much important in between...
when I was spent for me really huge amount for my first U47 I was thinking a long time as well...
on the end I never regret...
to have good high end mic also will give you more clients..
so from U47 I earned other mics
Gear Addict

I love my VT-2, big, beautiful and 3d if that's what you're looking for...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I've used an AKG 414eb and it sounded awesome. It had the ck12 capsule in it if I can remember. Anyway I'll just be patient and think about it long and hard before I buy a c800g. Tony has a really nice one that he'd like to sell me.
If c800g offers exactly that sound you are looking for than buy it.
Choice of pres will be less relevant (given that you use good pre like MA5) with this mic that has its own game with enhancing/comopressing some frequencies (ugly thing to my ears).
Some guys actually prefer Avalon that adds further shade of sheen and that brings situation deeper into modern ITB r'n'b fashion sonics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
If c800g offers exactly that sound you are looking for than buy it.
Choice of pres will be less relevant (given that you use good pre like MA5) with this mic that has its own game with enhancing/comopressing some frequencies (ugly thing to my ears).
Some guys actually prefer Avalon that adds further shade of sheen and that brings situation deeper into modern ITB r'n'b fashion sonics.
And I assume that the U87 would be fine with the MA5 as well right?
Lives for gear

This is good suggest: buy old U87 /not AI!!!/ and send it to Andreas Grosser to mod of low pass /it is quite cheap at about 200 eu as I remember/...killing classic sound with RnB touch
Lives for gear

you know what i love? i love recording guys that have spent a lot of time on GS reading what is what, and then telling me what is what, and correcting my tracking decisions based on what is what on GS. "recording artists" with a little ,perceived, knowledge are the funnest, bestest to record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
you know what i love? i love recording guys that have spent a lot of time on GS reading what is what, and then telling me what is what, and correcting my tracking decisions based on what is what on GS. "recording artists" with a little ,perceived, knowledge are the funnest, bestest to record.
I don't think they should be doing that either lol.
Gear Maniac

2 great preamps, as said by some poster, just different.
Heard the vintage 1073, rock guitars are awesome.
Vt-2, really natural sounding and round.
If it can be of any help, check this shootout thread I posted some time ago.

Peace.
Gear Head

"I love my VT-2, big, beautiful and 3d if that's what you're looking for..."

^^^ exactly what i think everytime i use the fearn VT-2
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

Hi,
As you think would sound good bae1037mp with Brauner Vm1.
Avalon Ad2022 + VM1 = sounds not too good, too bright, irritating...
Old 19th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I'm quite fond of the VM-1/Fearn combo. The VM-1 also works well with a 737. I have a Chandler LTD-1 (their 1073 clone) and I don't find it to be a great combo with the VM-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerjMV View Post
Hi,
As you think would sound good bae1037mp with Brauner Vm1.
Avalon Ad2022 + VM1 = sounds not too good, too bright, irritating...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Heimbecker View Post
I'm quite fond of the VM-1/Fearn combo. The VM-1 also works well with a 737. I have a Chandler LTD-1 (their 1073 clone) and I don't find it to be a great combo with the VM-1.
Just shows how people have different tastes, 1 hates it with Avalon, the other person likes it. I personally wouldn't use the Vm1 with a clean pre, I'd use a Neve pre for sure. It's just too clinical with a clean pre.
Gear Addict

Actually the 2022 and the 737 are different beasts, the 2022 being solid state and the 737 being a tube pre with a little "softer" character. I like my 2022 also but rarely use it with my VM-1. I wouldn't characterize it as harsh or bright though... My VM-1 mostly sees duty on tenor and baritone voices and saxophones (tenor primarily).
Old 19th October 2011
Here for the gear

I did not want to say that 2022 is harsh or too bright, even I like a lot, has a great sound ... I do not like about 2022 + vm1, but I must admit that in some cases they did good work together.

I'm like, BAE and vm1, will complement great...but unfortunately, I can not listen before you buy BAE1073MP.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not really a pro, but I can say that whomever likened the Fearn to a Rolls Royce was spot on. Everything exudes quality, not a hint of harshness ever, even tames harsh mics/ sources. A unit that I certainly appreciate more & more as time goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Heimbecker View Post
Actually the 2022 and the 737 are different beasts
They are different beasts in the sense that the 2022 is great and the 737 is utter garbage
Lives for gear

Speaking of BAE 1073DMP vs Fearn VT-2, I've experienced both units in the same room at different times. I had my API 3124 as comparison for the two of them.

I can honestly say that of the pres I've tried (API, BAE, Vintech, AMS Neve, Daking, Avalon, TL Audio, Summit Audio, Presonus, Mackie), none have been as open/3-dimensional/revealing/clear as the Fearn unit. I was amazed at how much came through them. I was doing a voice over and I AB'ed the Fearn against the API and the Summit Audio... I couldn't believe how the dynamics came through so much more (as well as the integrity of the low-mids). It was as if the other two units were compressing the signal. When recording acoustic guitar in conjunction with my modded-u87's, the Fearn revealed so many phasing issues within the actual body of the guitar which I had not heard before that I actually had to use another guitar. Craziness.

Obviously, the question remains... is that what you want? For a hi-fi vocal sound that will stand infront of a mix, I would definitely go with the Fearn. But for a thick, dense vocal, the BAE makes way more sense. On drums, I prefer more saturation from a pre. I found the Fearn too straight-forward... too clean. I went with the API. For bass, I loved the Fearn... that's a signal that I feel I can colour enough post-pre (ha... as in post-preamp).

Where does that leave us? Well, for an album I'm recording next month of three amazing female vocalists, I'm going to be renting three channels of Fearn. Done deal. For the vocalist I'm producing right now, when it comes time to track the main voxes, again Fearn will be present. But for the rock and pop stuff I produce, I much prefer a less clean vox.

Hope that helps.
Lives for gear

En passant, I did a test between a BAE 1073 and a BAE 1073MP... not the same thing. There was more harmonic magic going on with the full version... I imagine it has something to do with the third gain stage (EQ was flat as flat can be).
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
They are different beasts in the sense that the 2022 is great and the 737 is utter garbage
I'm starting to remember why I haven't poked my nose into GS in ages...
Old 6th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew montreal View Post
Speaking of BAE 1073DMP vs Fearn VT-2, I've experienced both units in the same room at different times. I had my API 3124 as comparison for the two of them.

I can honestly say that of the pres I've tried (API, BAE, Vintech, AMS Neve, Daking, Avalon, TL Audio, Summit Audio, Presonus, Mackie), none have been as open/3-dimensional/revealing/clear as the Fearn unit. I was amazed at how much came through them. I was doing a voice over and I AB'ed the Fearn against the API and the Summit Audio... I couldn't believe how the dynamics came through so much more (as well as the integrity of the low-mids). It was as if the other two units were compressing the signal. When recording acoustic guitar in conjunction with my modded-u87's, the Fearn revealed so many phasing issues within the actual body of the guitar which I had not heard before that I actually had to use another guitar. Craziness.

Obviously, the question remains... is that what you want? For a hi-fi vocal sound that will stand infront of a mix, I would definitely go with the Fearn. But for a thick, dense vocal, the BAE makes way more sense. On drums, I prefer more saturation from a pre. I found the Fearn too straight-forward... too clean. I went with the API. For bass, I loved the Fearn... that's a signal that I feel I can colour enough post-pre (ha... as in post-preamp).

Where does that leave us? Well, for an album I'm recording next month of three amazing female vocalists, I'm going to be renting three channels of Fearn. Done deal. For the vocalist I'm producing right now, when it comes time to track the main voxes, again Fearn will be present. But for the rock and pop stuff I produce, I much prefer a less clean vox.

Hope that helps.
Having owned both I agree completely with Andrew Montreal
I still own the VT 2,
However while I love my capi vp312 for rock I still use the fearn in rock productions with more care to automating levels almost like a compander to bring up the quiet parts and give the track more body with its translucence from the fearn
πŸ“ Reply