The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora GTQ2 vs BAE 1073MPF Dual Channel
Old 16th September 2010
Gear Head

Aurora GTQ2 vs BAE 1073MPF Dual Channel

I want to buy my first high end mic pre. I will use it for vocal/voice, acoustic guitar and lots of analog/digital synths. The mics I have are: U87ai, Shure SM7B, Beta 58A

Is the GTQ2 as warm, creamy, smooth and buttery as the BAE 1073MPF or other 1073' designs?
I would prefer the GTQ2 because of the more versatile (but still limited) EQ section.

I worked with the MP-2NV and that's already to cold for my taste...
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

GTQ2 is great preamp and EQ is very usable. Go for it. You will never regret. It has beautiful, fat, creamy sound.
Old 20th September 2010
Gear Addict

I'd like to know too. I compared the AMS Neve to the BAE and prefered the BAE pres (slightly darker). Anybody compared the BAE with the GTQ2 directly ?
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGC 5139 View Post

Don't worry, you're not alone, I never liked the GR either and find it cold as well

You may want to consider something like the Tubetech MP1A or even the MEC1A, both are simply amazing with the 87, if you want creamy, fat and smooth that could be a very good choice
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGC 5139 View Post
I want to buy my first high end mic pre. I will use it for vocal/voice, acoustic guitar and lots of analog/digital synths. The mics I have are: U87ai, Shure SM7B, Beta 58A

Is the GTQ2 as warm, creamy, smooth and buttery as the BAE 1073MPF or other 1073' designs?
I would prefer the GTQ2 because of the more versatile (but still limited) EQ section.

U87ai is so damn expensive and the sm7b requires so much gain, I am curious as to what you were using before?

I have all of the mics you have (well 58 not beta) and a GR(500) and GTQ2 but havnt heard the BAE. All I can say is out of all the pres I have, 512c, 737, 610 and some stock pres on mixers, the GTQ2 is my favorite.

BUT......the u87 plays so much nicer with the 737, and the GTQ2 adds some noise when using the sm7b, I guess becuase of the high gain required!

From what I've learned but havnt actually heard the BAE is going for 1073 clone while the GTQ2 is it's own sound but still in the neve family.

BTW, GR plays PERFECT with my sm7b! No other pre I have sound better with it.

All in all the GTQ2 is a super gem that you will never grow out of and don't get fooled by just looking at the eq section! It is very useful and sounds killer! +++++++ It's a stereo unit that I strap across the 2bus for mix down and sweetning! OMG I just love the GTQ2!!!!
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

I compared the GTQ2 with BAE 1272 (not 1073), and also Avedis MA5, GR and a bunch of others. GTQ2 to me is in a different league. I returned everything and bought the GTQ2.
It sounds larger, smoother, tighter than all of them, by a considerable amount. The MA5 sounded hazy and sibilant by comparison, the BAE sounded dark and thick, but not nearly as detailed and smooth as the GTQ. GR sounded extremely bland to me, I was not impressed. And yes i tried all the different settings.

I don't tend to use the EQ much, but when I do, it rocks. it's very powerful, as in one little touch goes a looong way. Besides, Geoff Tanner is a gentleman and has provided some of the best customer service I've ever received.
Get as many as you can in your own place, and make your decision. To me deciding between MA5 or BAE would be a matter of opinion and taste, but GTQ2 to me was clearly superior in every aspect, plug you get the EQ! Good luck
Old 5th July 2011
Count me in as another guy who tried to like the Great River ME preamps twice and sold both times, it just sounds stiff and cold, though plugging a guitar direct and cranking the gain sounds cool, just don't like it as a pre. I've had all manners of real neve and BAE and vintech. I like all the Vintech and BAE products with the current BAE stuff sounding more 3d and modern perhaps, love to hear the Aurora...
Old 5th July 2011
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Don't worry, you're not alone, I never liked the GR either and find it cold as well
I have extensive experience with both the GTQ2 and MP2NV and LOL @ comments referring to the GR as "cold." The stuff you read around here at times is mind boggling.

OP: If you find the GR to be "cold" I'd say stay the hell away from the GTQ2,too, cuz clearly this type of sound ain't your thang. I could easily find myself interchanging between these 2 pre's if need be with no concern of frostbite....
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

I don't mean to take this off on another direction on you, but have you considered the new(ish) Portico II? Beautiful unit. The most flexible channel strip I've used and the sound is right up there with the best that Rupert has designed yet. I've had the Neve 1073 and I've played with the GTQ2. I'd pick the Portico II. I think it's almost worth it for the compressor alone.
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear
I saw a post here recently by producer Greg Wells who is finishing a project with The All American Rejects and he was just gushing over the Portico II.
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

The beauty of the GR is that you can be clean with huge bandwidth at around 40db or less on the "big knob", or big, fat, and hazy by kicking the big knob to 60db. It's not a one trick pony. To call it cold is the opposite of my experience, but maybe that's what you hear at low gain levels?
To each their own, it's just that that comment is 180 degrees different than what I hear. Some pres have a big eq-like boost in the low mids like a BAE 1272 I used to use. Cool, but not very flexible. But maybe your style?
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

I have to say that I never had any issue with Aurora Audio products...
I'd speak with Geoff or Alan at aurora audio if you have had some problems..
they're very nice people!

Btw BAE is also a great product..! Hard do get it wrong on this decision..

just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micfallon View Post
For me BAE is more reliable than Aurora audio. I had 4 products from Aurora that were faulty (including two GTQ2).
Now i'm on my way to purchase two 1073 MPF !
Hi

You are in Paris. Could you email or pm the details?

Your user name rings no bells

Posted from my iPhone
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Nut
All i know is that i have used the ADL 600, Pacifica and the GTQ mkiii. The GTQ is still in my rack. Not that these pres aren't good but GTQ had what i needed. I hope to someday own the GTC2 compressor. I bet the GTQ and the GTC together would be the best.
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Could you email or pm the details?
I just emailed you....
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Head

Not sure if this helps, but my fav piece of gear in my studio are my gtp8 pre's.

I think they use the same parts in the pre's of the gtc2?
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear

IMO GTQ2 is the most usable pre of all mentioned.
It never disappoints.
Also, feel need to defend Great River which is far from being cold or sterile. It is cleaner than Neve (if Neve taken for reference) and it is in same great league with Aurora or Portico II and several other solid state preamps.
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hey - that's why we all have opinions :o)
To me, Great River was head and shoulders inferior to all others mentioned on this thread. Was it bad? No. Was I being too picky? Yes.
I was after a particular sound and the GTQ2 delivered it.
For clean(ish), I have other preamps that I prefer, such as Forssell SMP-2 for example.
People rave about the Avedis MA5 too, but I didn't like it either.
I really did like the BAE that I tried, but ultimately GTQ2 did it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
IMO GTQ2 is the most usable pre of all mentioned.
It never disappoints.
Also, feel need to defend Great River which is far from being cold or sterile. It is cleaner than Neve (if Neve taken for reference) and it is in same great league with Aurora or Portico II and several other solid state preamps.
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear

I have used both the 1073 and the GTQ2, which I used to own. GTQ2 is a better pre all around and a much better value. It has the smoothness of the 1073 and the thick low end and low mids. It's equally punchy. It sounds great when driven and you can get the hazyness if that's your style. The main difference is that the high end doesn't round off quite as much. It's a very subtle difference though.
Old 10th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutr2 View Post
I was after a particular sound and the GTQ2 delivered it.
For clean(ish), I have other preamps that I prefer, such as Forssell SMP-2 for example.
People rave about the Avedis MA5 too, but I didn't like it either.
I really did like the BAE that I tried, but ultimately GTQ2 did it for me.
It really depends a lot from the mic and the loading.. (and of course the source and what you're after/sense of aestethics).

That said I liked better the MA5 with a coles 4038 than the GTQ2..
I'm not saying the GTQ2 was bad.. Not at all.. Was very nice.. But for THAT particular source with THAT mic the MA5 was a bit better..

Btw if I only had the GTQ2, I could have been happy anyway..

The GTQ2 on the other hand, was absolutely stunning on a drumkit room mics (paired with Violet Amethyst Vintage).. heh

And I completely agree with you, for clean-ish Forssell is amazing!

Just my 0.02$ (real world experience),

Ciao

Cheu
Old 2nd January 2013
I own both a 1073 and GTQ2. I use the 1073 for tracking and the GTQ2 for Mix Buss along with my Folcrom. Both pres are top of the line and the best I've heard (GR, Avalon, API, Vintech, Manley, etc). I find the Neve a bit brighter and the GTQ a bit smoother. For the price GTQ2 all day and customer service at Aurora is excellent!!!
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

A year later...

Had the GTQC (GTQ2 + GTC) and now got BAE MPF cos of it's lows and fatness.
GTQ is great modern sounding pre (I prefer vintage pres) but needs to find right mic for it/source as someone mentioned before. Also great all-in-one solution for songwriters or smaller studios.

IMO BAE=FAT
Old 8th February 2014
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Maniac

I had a great river. I sold it to buy a BAE 1073 MPF.
I never looked back.
With the great river you can get a lot of tones. I tried a lot of settings but it never blew me away.
The BAE has 1 tone but its a really really great tone.
It blew me away immediately
I only record vocals
Old 13th August 2016
Noa
Gear Addict

Just wait until you check out the Aurora Audio preamp. I picked it over the BAE. The GTQC is the best channel strip for vocals I've found. The compressor is incredible with many tones.

But of course, every mic and pre fit differently to each different voice and style, so take your pick. They all sound great.
Old 13th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Im very curious now for the Aurora. Has it the same dark colour?
Im using a miktek cv4
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazi View Post
Im very curious now for the Aurora. Has it the same dark colour?
Im using a miktek cv4
Imho and ime no, it's a different thing, it's a little bit more open on top.. Not bright, but sparkly.. It has some "energy", in a good way up there.. Hard to describe..
You got to test them yourself..

Cheu
Old 13th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks
Old 13th August 2016
Aurora audio gtq2 + miktek cv4 = a wonderful signal chain that will yield great capture. The gtq2 is more modern and open sounding than the BAE, and both are great preamps. This is a pro chain (IMO ) that will yield great results and won't take you an hour to dial in the gain staging you want. If you are not going to need the two channels of the gtq2, then I suggest the Aurora audio stinger standalone 1ch pre, or if you need a channel strip then the gtqc. The gtqc consists of half of the gtq2 pre/ eq ( 1 ch and the fet + opto compressor circuits resulting in a 1 ch pre/ eq/ comp ( fet and opto, can be combined and use together, also the comp and pre can be used separately).The cv4 can be tingy/ zingy / bitey in the 9-10khz range and the gtq2 preamp topology will help smoothen the zing in the cv4 capsule when used for either higher spl level recordings, or overheads/ room mics, and helps take the edge off the sibilance ( just the preamp without using the eq).

Seeing that the the BAE is a based on a similar era /style preamp, I imagine it has some of these smoothing qualities in the HF range like the gtq2, I don't have as much experience using BAE though
Old 13th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks..
I will check out the aurora audio stinger

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search