The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lipinski L-70 powered monitor Studio Headphones
Old 9th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielHeatcliff View Post
When I ordered mine last year, they were delayed for 2 weeks as well.
Just curious, but how many issues have you had with these professional speakers in that period of time? How many interactions have you needed with a CSR/tech? This seems like an especially short period of time. "Custom build" speakers should go through a better quality-control check than warehoused, mass-produced speakers.

The best customer care is the speakers being sent out right the first time and not having to deal with anyone for years (until standard maintenance of speakers used in a studio is needed.)

The best delivery is one where the company gives you an expected delivery date (even if it is a long time) and delivers by or before then. If not, there should be a personal email explaining the hold-up (for instance, magnets not available due to a winter storm, etc.)
Old 9th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Just curious, but how many issues have you had with these professional speakers in that period of time? How many interactions have you needed with a CSR/tech? This seems like an especially short period of time. "Custom build" speakers should go through a better quality-control check than warehoused, mass-produced speakers.

The best customer care is the speakers being sent out right the first time and not having to deal with anyone for years (until standard maintenance of speakers used in a studio is needed.)

The best delivery is one where the company gives you an expected delivery date (even if it is a long time) and delivers by or before then. If not, there should be a personal email explaining the hold-up (for instance, magnets not available due to a winter storm, etc.)
Let me tell you my experience. Lipinski, and more specifically Noel was extremely responsive in helping answer any questions. The bad stuff is mainly reading some stuff here which made me a bit cautious to order, and some of this stuff includes my comment on delays, HOWEVER, Noel from Lipinski would always keep me posted through the hole process and any delays which puts one at ease knowing that your product is still in the process being tested thoroughly and well. So I don't know about the rest of the company, but the person I dealt with (Noel) definitely made the process a lot better where I never felt that "what the hell is going with my product, or did they forget about my order feeling". So it could have been better, but other than some delays (about twice the expected time) the experience was fine.

As for the sound, WOW... I wrote a few days ago, that other mastering speakers I have tried in this price range leave me dissapointed in terms of resolution compared to the Sennheiser HD800 (ATC, Focal, B&W). But these, upon just the few minutes I got to play with them ... well, I think you'd have to pay at least 4 times to beat these in the sound quality department. If I do no run into issues as it seems some have, this will be one of the best investments I have done.

Here is some pics

So if you don't mind waiting a month to 2 months, and assuming no issues are encountered ( I was told were all resolved from older builds which had issues related to opamps ), then I think this is the best money can buy at even twice the price.
Old 9th August 2016
Lives for gear

Did they arrive a day early? Noticed you were still waiting on a Wed delivery as of 3 days ago.

I was interested in DanielHeatcliff's response because he's mentioning customer service calls on a speaker set he's had less than a year (if I understand when he got them.) I have a friend who had a set of PMC BB5/XBD for many years. Drivers would constantly be dying on them and finally he had enough and replaced them with a different brand of speaker. PMC were great on customer service since he is a big name and would keep on-hand stock of drivers but having downtime once a year was ridiculous for $100k speakers. He's been through 2 brands since warehousing his BB5/XBD set and has finally settled on speakers again. When you're dealing with expensive speakers, reliability has to play a part in purchasing if it is your main tool.

Meyer Sound has the HD-1 which is a pretty good and expensive nearfield speaker but the issues of servicing and reliability were ridiculous to the point that the pair we kept at a studio went into storage rather than dealing with them. (To service them, they had to be sent to Meyer and they had to be sent every few years for re-calibration on top of any other issue.) When the Meyer Amie came out (slightly different market) they were sure to highlight they weren't going to make the same stupid demands on the new speaker -- they learned something from their foray into nearfields.
Old 10th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did they arrive a day early? Noticed you were still waiting on a Wed delivery as of 3 days ago.

I was interested in DanielHeatcliff's response because he's mentioning customer service calls on a speaker set he's had less than a year (if I understand when he got them.) I have a friend who had a set of PMC BB5/XBD for many years. Drivers would constantly be dying on them and finally he had enough and replaced them with a different brand of speaker. PMC were great on customer service since he is a big name and would keep on-hand stock of drivers but having downtime once a year was ridiculous for $100k speakers. He's been through 2 brands since warehousing his BB5/XBD set and has finally settled on speakers again. When you're dealing with expensive speakers, reliability has to play a part in purchasing if it is your main tool.

Meyer Sound has the HD-1 which is a pretty good and expensive nearfield speaker but the issues of servicing and reliability were ridiculous to the point that the pair we kept at a studio went into storage rather than dealing with them. (To service them, they had to be sent to Meyer and they had to be sent every few years for re-calibration on top of any other issue.) When the Meyer Amie came out (slightly different market) they were sure to highlight they weren't going to make the same stupid demands on the new speaker -- they learned something from their foray into nearfields.
Not really. A day early from the UPS date. But they did take longer based on the day I got them. Almost two months total, but that is how long I usually wait for custom STudio hardware anyways. Other than that they are really fantastic.

I made an unpacking video with these, which shows the packaging and their size. They are a bit bigger than I expected, as well as heavier. But man, that sound is just NUTS.

Old 10th August 2016
They look so soooo beautiful. How much are they?
Old 11th August 2016
Here for the gear

Two issues, all having to do with the tweeter going in and out. One turned out to be a loose speaker wire, the other one a failing op-amp board. Easy to fix if you know what's going on. Customer support / Noel was always available. They even provided spare op-amp boards for the future.
I had other "mass product" speakers fail on me within a year, and good luck gettin stuck with "mass-product support".

NYAndres, glad you like them! And welcome to being the number 4 (I think?) of L-70's users in the US... :D

Quote:

Old 23rd October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielHeatcliff View Post
I mostly produce EDM as they call it nowadays, and I find them suffice to use them for bass heavy music withouth a sub. I have a bunch of alternative speakers (Event Opal, Snake S802) which go further down on paper and definitely give you more bass, but every mix judgement I made on the Lipinskis worked everywhere else - including sub.
As I said, bass is not 'boomy' it is just accurate. If you want that bigger zoom you can also pair them with a sub.
what sub would you recommend to pair with L70's?
Old 23rd October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Not really. A day early from the UPS date. But they did take longer based on the day I got them. Almost two months total, but that is how long I usually wait for custom STudio hardware anyways. Other than that they are really fantastic.

I made an unpacking video with these, which shows the packaging and their size. They are a bit bigger than I expected, as well as heavier. But man, that sound is just NUTS.

so how's your experience so far?
Old 24th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWNN View Post
so how's your experience so far?
No issues so far. They sound amazing still... Incredible monitors.
Old 25th October 2016
Here for the gear

I use a pair of Rythmik Audio F12 s - got them recommended from AndreNYES actually who uses it with his L-70s. Gotta say they work really, really well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWNN View Post
what sub would you recommend to pair with L70's?
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Maniac

How do they compare against 3-way systems like Geithain or ATC?
If run with a sub same ballpark?
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

I think they are way way way way better than the ATC SCM 25 A with or without subs.

As for the Geithain I have no idea... I hear those are fantastic though
Old 28th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
I think they are way way way way better than the ATC SCM 25 A with or without subs.

As for the Geithain I have no idea... I hear those are fantastic though
Haven't heard the Geithains either, but I have worked on SCM25a a lot before.
I am a proud L-70s owner too. SCM25 might have a "bigger" midrange, but the Lipinski's are just more detailed, and you can also hear .1 db changes in the midrange, just not as "big" (if that makes sense). Resolution is like 8K vs 6K if you'd compare it with a TV screen

However, ATC's would probably be my other choice if I hadn't gone with the Lipinskis. They are that great too.
Old 28th September 2018
Here for the gear

I've had a pair of L-70s for well over a year now, with no problems to report whatsoever. I've (finally) Completely my review and will be submitting it for fact-check. I don't know where or if it will be published; it might just end up on the Lipinski Website. I'll keep you posted here and elsewhere.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search