The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Uses for API 525 compressor? Dynamics Plugins
Old 21st December 2005
Gear Addict

Uses for API 525 compressor?

The headline says it all, really. Given the fixed attack time and lack of "standard" parameters to control (not always a bad thing IMO...), what are the obvious uses for this compressor? Compression character often determines applications as much as parameters, so it's difficult to "read" from the front panel what the 525 might be good at. I've got a lunchbox to fill.....

Cheers,

Recky
Old 21st December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by recky
The headline says it all, really. Given the fixed attack time and lack of "standard" parameters to control (not always a bad thing IMO...), what are the obvious uses for this compressor? Compression character often determines applications as much as parameters, so it's difficult to "read" from the front panel what the 525 might be good at. I've got a lunchbox to fill.....

Cheers,

Recky
Vocals and acoustic guitars.
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

I'd have to concur with thrill with the addition of dirty guitars, as well.
Old 21st December 2005
Gear Addict

I just used it on a kick and brought out some nice lows. I think I was using a light limit setting. Almost always vox. I also recently tried it on a snare to add body to it and it worked amazing.

I have more channels of hardware compression with fixed attack times than ones with variable attack times. I even use these fixed attack time comps for drum bus compression, specifically my Telefunken U73b's. Sometimes less options are better.

Back to the API....I like to set the Compression knob to like 18 or 20 with the In at 12 and the Out full up to get a really smashed parallel vox compression thing happening. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.....

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

Vox and ac gtrs as well. Horns (Bones) once in a while. NO drums, bass, hammond, percussion for me...at all.
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Vocals and acoustic guitars.
This is exactly right, but I would add that the "OFF" setting allows the signal to run thru the compressor with no G.R. The makeup gain control is bypassed so you can't use it as a fader.

But it's great for giving tracks a little 'outboard weight'. I've used 'em this way on drum busses and synths quite a bit.

There's a "Bypass" setting which is a true hardwire bypass; the signal will pass with the mainscable disconnected.
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

during tracking sessions where I might use a 1176 on the KICK beofre hitting the DAW, I'll patch a 525 instead. This one particular studio that I track at has (2)1176 in the credenza, one of them decides to sound like a cement bucket sometimes, which is no bueno while in session with lots of peeps. It's embarrising when I'm rotating the O/P fader violently on the 1176 to make it sound good again.
Old 23rd December 2005
mpr
Lives for gear

A little OT here, but does anyone know if the 225 shares similar attack and knee characteristics as the 525?
Old 24th December 2005
Gear Maniac

They don't sound anything alike. Each are amazing in their own way.

Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3
A little OT here, but does anyone know if the 225 shares similar attack and knee characteristics as the 525?
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

Very touchy comp. I end up giving up on it a lot of times. Sounds cool on guitars for sure, sometimes vocals. It will add distortion to the signal. For a "soft" (kinda) you can push in both ratio buttons. I've heard of people using it on bass but it's hard to keep it from doing the fast compressor distortion thing - kinda like the RNC distorts bass.
Old 24th December 2005
Gear Addict

As a parallel comp it is strong. As a drum room comp it works with it's fastest release and 2:1. Just two examples.

I worried about the limited control before I bought two but now I find I use them everywhere.

Just not on bass guitar.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear
Just found this thread. I love this comp on drums which isn't a popular use. It's always on my kick. I recently used it on my mix buss just touching it. But man did it add some beautiful tone to everything. Just thick and pillowy. Perfect for this project. Very the band Neil young.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search