The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mics for sibilant vocalists?
Old 18th December 2005
Lives for gear

Mics for sibilant vocalists?

Does anyone have favourite mics they pull out for really sibilant vocalists?. I really like a contained sound but some people make that very difficult to achieve. I know about the de-esser side of things this is a question about mics but all advice is gratefully recieved
Thanks
Old 18th December 2005
Lives for gear

I like the U67 for sibilant vocalists. And in the worst case, a thin and sibilant vocalist... somtimes (don't laugh) a sm58 works.

Andreas
Old 18th December 2005
Gear Maniac

From the mics I use, I would try either the Korby 47 or a Royer 122. But I also have the SPL de-esser, which is a brilliant unit.
Old 18th December 2005
47's are notoriously horrible for sibilance problems IME, although others may have found differently. I agree with the U67 comment, ribbons work great here, I've also had excellent luck with the Soundelux U99 specifically on overly sibilant voices. Every voice is different, and every sibilance frequency is different so you really have to just try it out to really know for sure.
Old 18th December 2005
Jai guru deva om

R84 ribbon.

War
Old 18th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
R84 ribbon.

War
I'll second the R84, and add Korby 67 to the list.

Stein Tore
Old 18th December 2005
member no 666

I tend to stay away from condenser mics when working with a sibilant vocalist... something like a Shure SM-7b should work like a charm in that application.

I know some people feel like there is some law where you have to use a lg. diaphragm [preferably toob] condenser on vocals or you'll like burn in hell or something... let me assure you there is no such rule.

Sometimes dynamic mics are the best solution... it depends on the singer and the song.

Best of luck with it.
Old 18th December 2005
AB3
Lives for gear

AEA r84, other ribbon OR Soundelux e49 is great in this application.
AB
Old 19th December 2005
Lives for gear

The Neumann Gefell CMV563 with an M7 capsule is a good choice as well.
For the lack of a better description: sometimes the sound reminds me of a very good dynamic mic, but with all the M7-hugeness you might want.
Think "Super-SM58"...

This mic is definitely on the darker side, but it takes EQ very well. Just add a little 14 kHz, and here we go... heh

Regarding sibilant vocal(ist)s, I like this mic even better than the U67 (which of course is a great microphone).
Old 19th December 2005
Lives for gear

Cheers thumbsup
Thanks for the input..I shall look into this list of mics and see if I can afford any. There's something beutifull (to me at least) about a well recorded vocal with just the right amount of S's, t's and c's. Everynow again someone walks in the studio and there is nothing to do other than compress a little bit. I love those ones. heh

Old 19th December 2005
Lives for gear

I've been digging my akg 414 blus lately for bright, sibilant singers as well as my AT4047, both relatively cheap.
Old 19th December 2005
Motown legend

Sibilance was a disaster for cutting hot vinyl.

Singing a bit off axis into an RCA 77 set to cardioid was the first method I was ever taught. First choice condenser is a stock U67. Second is a Beyer-Dynamic MC-740.
Old 19th December 2005
Gear Maniac

I'd try 414. It usually works for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search