The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amek Angela Mk1 vs Sound workshop consoles Audio Interfaces
Old 31st August 2010
Gear Head

Amek Angela Mk1 vs Sound workshop consoles

How does the Amek Angela compare to the sound workshop consoles from the USA i can't remember the model i worked on in 1993 but it was about 7 feet long i think the 54C model?
Old 31st August 2010

I've worked on both the amek and Sw series 30 after using a bunch of consoles while freelancing I choose the series 30 to purchase for my studio has served me well. I would take any sound workshop over any amek except a select few ie the m1000 the apc (which sounds awesome but there are no spares or replacements) or the 9098 which runs really hot.

Sw is nice. Up grade the power supply and you are golden. Mine is also for sale if your interested.
Old 31st August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrecordings View Post

Sw is nice. Up grade the power supply and you are golden. Mine is also for sale if your interested.
The Amek Angela is one of the best desks ever made in terms of quality of the pre-amps and the EQ, and the ease of serviceability. A real classic! Mine is for sale... NOT!
Old 31st August 2010

IMHO you should try a few more desks.
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

"The Amek Angela is one of the best desks ever made in terms of quality of the pre-amps and the EQ, and the ease of serviceability. A real classic! Mine is for sale... NOT!"

Yes, the Angela has the reputation as such already in many quarters, and the 9098.

Graham Langley and Rupert Neve.
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would take any sound workshop over any amek except a select few
Interesting. I'm just the opposite: I spent a number of year (admittedly way back in the 1980s) working in studios with Sound Workshop Series 40, 30, & 20 desks, and every single one of them sounded "clouded", "two-dimensional" and a bit "lifeless" in comparison to the Amek Angelas that I worked on in that same time period.
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente View Post
Yes, the Angela has the reputation as such already in many quarters, and the 9098.

Rupert Neve had nothing to do with the design of the Angela. That's a very common misconception.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

As an Otari dealer...i saw many studios put outta business by Santas Workshop consoles.

Be afraid...be very afraid
Old 1st September 2010
Gear Addict

i've had a big 51ch angela for years , it was oke but nothing special its just another TL074-72 console with a decent EQ and a decent pre-amp, , but nothing special and certainly not the best sounding console ever made!!
Old 1st September 2010
i've used both quite a bit. not a fan of either, but i would prefer the Angela. what matters more between these two is the condition they're in.
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've worked on both the amek and Sw series 30 after using a bunch of consoles while freelancing I choose the series 30 to purchase for my studio has served me well. I would take any sound workshop over any amek except a select few ie the m1000 the apc (which sounds awesome but there are no spares or replacements) or the 9098 which runs really hot. Sw is nice. Up grade the power supply and you are golden. Mine is also for sale if your interested.
So while your Sound Workshop console is for sale, you would "take any sound workshop over any amek". That's why it's for sale, yes? What will you say when you're selling your next desk?
Old 1st September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_subsonic

So while your Sound Workshop console is for sale, you would "take any sound workshop over any amek". That's why it's for sale, yes? What will you say when you're selling your next desk?

It's for sale because it's been replaced. I would take any sound workshop over an Angela. Must just be the vibe. But as I said in the other thread the Angela is not the best amek. I would happily take an m1000 over my sound workshop let alone the fact that amek made the 9098i which is a completely different beast.

My post had nothing to do with trying to sell my console. If I was trying that hard to sell it you would see it bumped every five minutes like everyone else's gear on the classifieds.

I like Sw more than the ANGELA. Maybe it's the lack of features that I dig about Sw maybe it's the fact that to me there just a little more rock and roll than the Angela.

But to say that the Angela is one of the best desks in the world is an opinion just like mine. You think my opinion is wrong but I never claimed that sound workshops were the best desks in the world. Because neither of these consoles is the best in the world or even comparably close. But who's to say what is the best desk?

Not you.

As far as the console that replaced the Sw I would say that it was designed by Steve from inward connections and modded by Dan Kennedy of great river and that it has reichenbach transformers on all inputs and outputs. Yes I would take this desk over any sound workshop.

The desk that Is replacing that is an ssl and I would also say that is better than any Sw and my current console as well as the Angela in question.

Btw neve had nothing to do with the Angela but that's been stated.
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

"Be afraid...be very afraid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
As an Otari dealer...i saw many studios put outta business by Santas Workshop consoles.

Be afraid...be very afraid

Please elaborate.

Thx.
Old 1st September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat

Please elaborate.

Thx.

I'm not him but I will chime in on this... The Automation on Sw desk's is awful. When I was freelancing I used a 34c with automation and it def. caused some down time to the point where I decided against using it on that mix and when I eventually purchased a Sw I got one that never had the automation installed.

He could be talking about something else but I could totally see this being the root of the evil.
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges View Post
Rupert Neve had nothing to do with the design of the Angela. That's a very common misconception.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Thanks Chris

But if you look you'll plainly see that you have the name of Graham Langley before you at the bottom of my offering!!!

Amek are only just up the road from here.

All the best
Old 1st September 2010
Gear Addict

I've worked for some time and maintained a Sound Workshop Series 30 and a very early (prototype) Amek Angela that was originally sold in LA then ended up in Australia (I believe it might currently live in Adelaide).

For me there is a certain amount of nostalgia attached to both boards, but it is the sound of the Amek that I am most fond of. The Amek into Apogee AD 8000 converters had quite a charming sound, and adding a few other preamp flavours (Peach Audio, API etc) delivered some recordings with considerable character.

On the other hand I battled a bit with the sound of the Sound Workshop desk and found it to sound slightly "papery". For me the Angela had a lot more fullness and colour.

I personally wouldn't describe either desk as high end, and these days most examples of either flavour would be in need of recapping, replacement of patch bays and at least a lot of cleaning of pots switches and faders. After all of that effort and expense you would want to end up with something you really loved the sound of and a lot more years of service.

For me, to want to buy either board now they would either have to have recently had major maintenance done, or be at bargain basement prices. To make either serviceable in the long term would take plenty of funds AND elbow grease... but I still get a bit sentimental over those boards... really I'd probably buy a 32 channel Toft first.
Old 1st September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've worked on both the amek and Sw series 30........

Re PSUs, both boards the PSU is a weak link. I know the guys at Amek spent a long time trying to get the noise levels lower with the original power supplies before they left the factory, and it was suggested to me that one of the first upgrades suggested by an ex factory guy was complete replacement of the PSU.

The main filter caps are notorious for drying out on the Sound Workshop PSUs and replacement of them invariably results in less ripple.

The Amek supplies are very sensitive to the orientation of the transformer. Sometimes rotation of a couple degrees will clean them up a bit, but once you get into it, there's a can of worms open up.
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Chris

But if you look you'll plainly see that you have the name of Graham Langley before you at the bottom of my offering!!!

Amek are only just up the road from here.

All the best
Yep. Langley's name was mentioned just before Neve's and since we were talking about Angelas, I thought you were implying (like SO MANY people do) that the Angela was a Neve design, which it isn't. No worries. Just wanted to be sure to clear up this misconception for anyone who's got it.

Thanks!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 2nd September 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
"The Amek Angela is one of the best desks ever made in terms of quality of the pre-amps and the EQ, and the ease of serviceability. A real classic! Mine is for sale... NOT!"

I have spoken with two 9098 owners and one of their techs. None of them think the 9098 was complete and none of them thought that it was all "that".
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioboffin View Post
I've worked for some time and maintained a Sound Workshop Series 30 and a very early (prototype) Amek Angela that was originally sold in LA then ended up in Australia (I believe it might currently live in Adelaide).
Hi Greg. Yes it's in Adelaide. The current owner (Anj) has it on the market. I spent 3 years doing sessions on that same console. That console lived a very easy life and was well maintained by the techs at AFTRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioboffin View Post
For me there is a certain amount of nostalgia attached to both boards, but it is the sound of the Amek that I am most fond of ... I battled a bit with the sound of the Sound Workshop desk and found it to sound slightly "papery". For me the Angela had a lot more fullness and colour.
A similar experience here .. The Sound Workshop wasn't what I'd call bad, but it could get a bit thin and constricted in the Hi-Mid.

Regards RAy
Old 10th March 2016
anj
Gear Head

Resurrecting.
That console served me well.
It had 44 mono channels and 8 stereo.
I removed the vca automation cleaned and serviced all pots and switches,
Recapped and upgraded the op amps in the master section.
the channels had already been recapped before I bought the consonle.
I had 10 years of trouble free service and it did sound very good.
Unfortunately I got burnt out quit the industry and sold the amek to a studio in Queensland for 12500 aus $.
Which in my opinion was a steal for the new owner.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search