The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Doepfer LMK4+
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Nut

Doepfer LMK4+

Hi all,

Need an advice from experts here.. I'm trying to decide on purchasing Doepfer LMK4+ with an objective of getting a close-to-real hammer action keyboard (need not be graded action really). Current I'm using Kawai MP8-II which is a very good keyboard, but it is a heavy beast so tough to carry. Also compared with XV88 and PC3X which I have used in the past, I find the keyboard action a little softer to my taste.

How does LMK4+ keyboard action compare against Kawai MP8-II? Is there a similar or lower cost alternative to LMK4+? I'm not sure if Studiologic Numa action is better than LMK4+, as in my experience a 'newer' version is not always necessary to be better.

So, a pointed comparison, from a perspective of "Keyboard Action" as follows would be very helpful..

1. LMK4+ Vs Kawai MP8-II
2. LMK4+ Vs Numa (NOT the Nero version)
3. LMK4+ Vs MKP-88

Thanks in advance for your help..

P.s. I have used the 'search' function but could not find specific comparison hence posting a new thread
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Head

Hi there,

I've used Doepfer PK88 for years now and find the action very good.

AS far as I know, Doepfer, Studiologic, Nord and Kurzweil uses Fatar keybeds, so if they are not exactly the same, the action should be very near to each other.

I've tried Kawai MP8 once, and really really liked the action there. It's a matter of taste, but maybe Kawai has the best action available in digital pianos.

But still I would recommend Doepfer...

Hope this helps,
-Vm
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Addict

I have an older version, the LMK1v2

Its amongst the heaviest keyboards i know!!

Although the action is very nice, overall i think it takes tot much force to play.

Hope thats better with the current version though.
Make sure to check it out before you buy it

Its built like a tank though thumbsup
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks Vm and Fabi.

There isn't any nearby shop where I can try it out, so will have to try my luck! I think Thomann.de is the only shop where I can buy it in the UK..

Any idea how much is the shipping weight (including the packaging box)?
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Head

Yes, my PK88 is also on the heavier side of the force...it's the way I like it though. But, don't know about these new keybeds...

I'm quite sure, that if you spend more than 398EUR to thomann, the shipping is free.

-Vm
Old 1st September 2010
Gear Nut

Nobody is mentioning anything about Studiologic Numa though. looks like this the new keybed (TP40GH) in inferior to the one on LMK4+?
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Nobody is mentioning anything about Studiologic Numa though. looks like this the new keybed (TP40GH) in inferior to the one on LMK4+?
Don't really know which is better, or would it be matter of taste? Maybe some research from Fatar site would give an idea? FATAR

Numa has TP/400 keybed and LMK4+ has TP/10MDR keybed

Also, you can ask from Doepfer, if it would be possible to have another Fatar keybed than MDR10 assembled to LMK4. You can contact and order from them directly, Dieter Doepfer is really really nice man. He helped me to get rare 44 key keybed from Fatar couple of months ago.

If I'd ordered PK88 now, I would like it to have wooden keyboard...

-Vm
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Nut

That's a great tip.. thanks Vm! I will write to them and will let you know the response I get
Old 5th September 2010
Gear Nut

Got a response from Doepfer that they will be able to make a custom vrsion (with the keybed, not the outer box) with other keybeds from Fatar..
Old 5th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Great keyboard! Got the LMK2+ myself this year - ASAIK Thomann does not charge you delivery/postage fee's to the UK, since your paying more than their 200 euro minimum for free delivery thing.

It is literally amazing, the feel is near spot on to my piano (which resides inches away to the right). I went to a studio which had a Korg Triton 88 after using mine flat out for a few months, let's see the Triton didn't hold up too well heh
Old 23rd September 2010
dgm
Gear Head

Just a quick note -- don't waste your time with the MPK-88. Action is on par with M-Audio's junk. I'd rather have synth keys than the sorry excuse for "weighted" action that's on the MPK.
Old 7th April 2011
Here for the gear

I have a MP8 and compared it to a LMK4.

2 very different units.

If you are a piano player and want real feeling keys - MP8, it's the best for that. but it is super heavy +30kg. The Piano sounds are quite good, the others acceptable but MIDI VSTs are better for Organs and EPiano.

The LMK4 if you want ultracool looking portable mast keyboard, which has no sounds by itself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search