The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
harddrive question, for akai s2000 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

harddrive question, for akai s2000

Basically, Im sick and tired of loading/saving up to 6 floppies for a tune (it takes about 20 minutes!)
While I know a harddrive won't solve this problem, as it's still kind of slow saving/loading, it means I wouldn't have to waste time formatting disks, buying new ones etc. And sometimes they go duff.
So can I just buy any SCSI HD for it or does it have to be a special one? a 90s one?
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

send this guy an email.

SCSIforSamplers.com - New SCSI Hardware for your Sampler

you have a few options.

Old 29th August 2010
Gear Nut

Look for an external drive with a 50 pin centronics style connector on the back. You'll use a 25-50 cable to connect the Akai.

(Don't get a SCSI-2 or SCSI-3 with the 68 pin connector!)

My recollection is that the Akai will only use 100MB (or maybe 200MB?) no matter what size drive you connect. So don't bother with a giant drive.

The performance is vastly improved, compared to floppy disks!
Old 29th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallerytungsten View Post
Look for an external drive with a 50 pin centronics style connector on the back. You'll use a 25-50 cable to connect the Akai.

(Don't get a SCSI-2 or SCSI-3 with the 68 pin connector!)

My recollection is that the Akai will only use 100MB (or maybe 200MB?) no matter what size drive you connect. So don't bother with a giant drive.

The performance is vastly improved, compared to floppy disks!
The disk needs to be smaller than 500MB. I did use my S2000 with a 100MB Zip drive.
Old 21st January 2011
Here for the gear

The hard drive can be larger than 510mb. When the S2000 formats it, it will use the first 510mb and ignore the rest. So a 1 GB drive formats to 510mb. I use a 550 IBM SCSI hard drive that is formated to 510mb, the maximum size the OS recognizes.

Get a 50 pin SCSI drive (I raided my old Mac parts bin for mine). You can copy the OS to it and it will boot from the hard drive. Make sure you set the SCSI ID to 5.
Old 31st January 2016
so does this mean u can use an iomega JAZ drive + 1GB Jaz disk with an AKAI S2000?
im gonna guess yes
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search